PDA

View Full Version : Books or...

MediaMonkey2004
30th Sep 2005, 18:20
Hi All...

Just a quick question really...

Does anybody have any ideas as to decent books which would lend themselves towards a piloting career (got and read Clive Hughes' guide to becoming a proffessional pilot)...

I was wondering if there are any books out there that would help prepare me for ATPL's or give me a basic knowledge that could later be built upon during flight/ground training?

I'm at the stage where flight/ground training is on the cards, but funds are not - so i'm looking to feed the mind.

Look forward to hearing all your thoughts.

Cheers,

MediaMonkey2004 :cool:

speedbird001
1st Oct 2005, 19:28
Try a Book called " The Mechanics Of Flight " By AC Kermode

Might give you the Vulcan Mind Meld like it did with me :p Loads of Plilots have suggested that book to me even though you will never completely understand it !!!!

SB001

High Wing Drifter
1st Oct 2005, 21:39
Handling the Big Jets? I wouldn't know, not being all that successful (yet) and all, but it purports to be a classic and it seems to tall the kind of stuff you wouldn't think to ask.

Oh and the "Professional Pilot's Manual" by Phil Croucher. Although he PM'd me yonks ago last time I mentioned it on pproon saying that a sequel was in the works so I think it has been updated.
http://www.aarons-books.co.uk/cat/TRP/professional-pilot-s-manual-185310082X.htm

Farrell
1st Oct 2005, 22:18
"I'm at the stage where flight/ground training is on the cards, but funds are not......"

....if this is the case dear chap, it might be better to find a job, and feed your wallet.

Your mind can be fed later.......work now and save for your training - save every penny! - don't be wasting money on books that you do not need before their time.

Good luck to you!

Farrell :ok:

Ross_11
2nd Oct 2005, 03:15
Try and get a hold of the book, FROM THE GROUND UP.
Might be particularly of help since you're at the...

give me a basic knowledge that could later be built upon during flight/ground training?

...stage.

You'll get a general idea of the kind of subjects you'll be handling at later stages during your ground training,....kind of gives ya a bird's eye view.
The MECHANICS OF FLIGHT by AC KERMODE has been and will remain a trusted friend of many a pilot, but you might want to read at a later stage....and oh yea, everytime you read it, you have a different perspective of aerodynamics!

MediaMonkey2004
2nd Oct 2005, 11:25
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

Thank you SB001 & HighWingDrifter, I will look into getting those books.

Farrell - I hear what you're saying loud and clear and couldn't agree more. I've been applying for some jobs in addition to the freelance work that I'm currently doing... I just thought that it may be prudent to gain some basic subject knowledge which would assist in later stages (and perhaps in the long-term save money [on resits and the likes]). Albeit to say, I agree with you on the wasting of money on unnecessary books.

Thanks for your suggestion and helpful comments too Ross_11... I will look out for that one also.

Have a great day all.

MM04 :cool: