PDA

View Full Version : The most boring ATPL subject...

Grass strip basher
30th Sep 2005, 16:36
Is it just me or is electrics possibly the most boring topic on the face of the whole planet.... 5 minutes of rectifiers, DC generators and capacitors and I am bored out of my skull and begging for mercy.... it is just plain old fashioned dull ... at least some of the other subjects are reasonably interesting.... :{

TenAndie
30th Sep 2005, 17:14
I found Ops to be very boring....

YYZ
30th Sep 2005, 17:51
I enjoyed AGK, anything useful I like, found Law & Ops boring beyond belief!

YYZ

viking207
30th Sep 2005, 17:56
Grass strip basher

1 of 2 reasons
1 you find very easy and hardly have to look at the pages.:cool:
2 you don't get it, every time you turn a new page you're thinking why do i need to know this.:confused:

Most people I meet seems to fall into number 2 category.

But I think ops and how many fire extinguishers, axes and megaphones are required in an airbus 319 on a sunny day with the wind south by south west and with a crew members mother sick on that specific day is BORING:yuk:

RGDS

VIKING207

Dozza2k
30th Sep 2005, 18:17
....erm its clearly radio nav......... closely followed by electrics.....

TolTol
30th Sep 2005, 18:41
1) Electrics
2) Ops
3) Air Law

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Philip Aerodynamics
30th Sep 2005, 19:10
You´re right it is, was and will always be. The most interesting fact is electricity really runs backwards? Please correct me if I´m wrong.

VFE
1st Oct 2005, 17:02
You know what? I cannot even remember what Ops was about! Guess it was that boring it never even registered however from memory I'd say Air Law followed by Electrix where the most boring. I used to fall asleep in electrix along with half the class.... including the instructor.

VFE.

Send Clowns
1st Oct 2005, 17:06
I used to teach electrics, and I found it boring! Not as bad as Law when I sat them, but we had a great instructor in that!

High Wing Drifter
1st Oct 2005, 18:46
I think Airlaw was the worst as most of it seemed to be of more relevance to an ATS unit than to a pilot. Ops procs had me glazed over on occasion, but it was interesting to get an angle on stuff like AoCs, NATS and stuff. However, on the whole I found at least something of interest in all the subjects with AGK (incl the bit on electrical engineering), Met, Gen Nav, PoF very interesting and full of stuff I always wanted to know about, but never got around to finding out. I think I even took quite a lot away from Human Factors that is relevant to business in general.

Mr Magoo
2nd Oct 2005, 17:42
Well, one day maybe you'll be doing a type rating. There's LOADS of stuff on the electrical side of the aircraft to learn to pass the groundschool part so that's when managing to let some basic electrics seep into the space between the 'ole ears will help!

You don't want to be the class numptie and have to ask what a GCB, TRU, IDG is or what a frequency wild 45kW 3 phase AC generator is do you? Discuss.

Magoo :

(PS Phillip - electricity runs the right way, they just guessed wrong in the mid 18th century :ok: )

Penguina
3rd Oct 2005, 17:55
Nah.

Instruments. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

JULIETKILO86
3rd Oct 2005, 22:11
Can I put a bid in for electrics, I witnessed the entire front row fall asleep in front of me during one particular lecture, anyone from OAT?

High Wing Drifter
4th Oct 2005, 06:41
I witnessed the entire front row fall asleep in front of me during one particular lecture, anyone from OAT?
anyone from OAT?
Aha! I suspect therein lies the problem. Shoulda' goneto BGS mate :p

Daft Wader
4th Oct 2005, 12:55
I cannot believe there is any competition......

AIR BORE wins hands down, double LAW Friday afternoon, look into my eyes, look into my eyes, not around the eyes...and your under......

Although JS made it as fun as possible with his ways to remember the ICAO Annexes....

you aint seen me right

Daft Wader

OneMileHigh
4th Oct 2005, 22:10
Ahhh come on you lot!! Electrics is great.

Don't you find it fantastic that such tiny bits of matter such as electrons can shape our planet so completely?

And magnetism? so tied in with electrics that one cannot exist without the other. Can't you all remember the fun you must have had with magnets?

I think the reason most of you think the subject boring is because you don't understand it, and are probably quite unwilling to devote any extra attention in order to understand it. Perhaps that is down to your instructor not injecting some attention getting humour into the subject.

Whatever it is though, poor old electricity doesn't deserve the slating it gets here. how can you equate the 'right hand grasp rule' which lends itself so nicely to other right hand operations, with things like Air Law and Ops.

I don't know.......Mr Ampere will be turning in his grave!! :}

AlexC
6th Oct 2005, 01:24
If u got the right hand rule working properly.. u could probably set it up so he's actually turning

--A physicist who dreams of flying

Muppet99
6th Oct 2005, 21:32
I agree - Electrics is a great cure for insomnia.