PDA

View Full Version : Instructor rating without CPL

maxdrypower
28th Sep 2005, 15:46
I recently read in one of the aviation circulars that there was talk of introducing a flying instructor rating that did not require a CPL. Since then I have not seen or heard anything nor is there anything on the gapan or CAA website . Anyone heard any scuttlebutt about this ?

FlyingForFun
28th Sep 2005, 15:48
Not sure exactly what it is you're refering to, but the existing JAR FI rating does not require a CPL, so maybe it was refering to something which already exists?

Although you do not require a CPL to instruct, you must have completed the CPL or ATPL written exams, and you may not get paid for instructing unless you hold a CPL.

FFF
---------------

TolTol
28th Sep 2005, 16:45
Hi FFF, does that allow the FI to instruct CPL students or is he/she only allowed to instruct PPL students?

BillieBob
28th Sep 2005, 19:26
TolTol - An instructor cannot instruct for any licence or rating that he does not hold him/herself

BEagle
28th Sep 2005, 20:35
Various ideas have been put forward for experienced PPL holders to instruct for remuneration at PPL level.

But none are likely to see the light of day for many years yet. If at all.

You do not need a CPL to instruct at PPL level unless you want to be paid for it. Even if you didn't want to be paid, you would still need to pass ALL the JAR-FCL CPL exams....as well as being accepted for FI training.

maxdrypower
30th Sep 2005, 16:08
Cheers for that fellas , all stuff I am aware of unfortunately. The information was in pilot magazine some time ago.It was the age old argument of why does a PPl instructor actually need a CPL to instruct PPL . The consensus is that they dont , but obviously to earn money they do by right. This proposal was to have a speciifc rating allowing people to become paid flying instructors without having to undergo CPL training . Obviously the rating and course would be updated to accomodate this . The reference given was to the gapan website but there is nothing on there as yet , thought someone on here might have heard a whisper.
Cheers

coolguy
1st Oct 2005, 08:40
Thanks for the information, I am just wondering What if the Person has a valid and current JAA PPL, ICAO CPL/MEIR( not JAA ) and if the person completes the ATPL or the CPL theory then will this person can Start instructing the PPL students with out pay,

BUT, will he be accepted by a Flying school. Since he already holds an ICAO CPL/MEIR he or she should be respected to my knowledge but will he get employed by a Flying school in UK?

COOL

Charlie Zulu
1st Oct 2005, 12:50
If all you have is a JAA PPL/FI then no matter what other ICAO licences you have, be it ICAO CPL/IR ME whatever you will *not* be able to be paid to instruct on British registered aeroplanes. You require a JAA CPL/FI to be paid to instruct.

But to answer your question, I am sure there would be a flight school out there willing to use you as an instructor, simply because they keep all of the revenue! But maybe only as part time or freelance...

As you have to do the CPL or ATPL exams to be eligible to take the FI course then you might as well obtain a JAA CPL to which you can attach the FI rating, its only a 25 hour course and if the person already has an ICAO CPL then the requirement is "training as required to pass the skills test", no minimums as such. This is of course assuming one can pass the JAA Class 1 Medical which CPL holders require.

You'd then be eligible to instruct and be paid at a flying club... more change of a full time (and being able to fund it) position then.