PDA

View Full Version : Icon pictures

boofhead
27th Sep 2005, 15:46
Having trouble reading some pictures, commonly used for icons on many web pages. When there is supposed to be a picture all I get is the box surrounding same and a small red X in the top corner. I guess I don't have some program to read them. My wife says that with this situation she cannot get a response to clicking on the box either, but I have not seen that, just the loss of the picture. Some of the pictures are not icons, but full size, although the only reason I know that is because of the surrounding lines, the picture itself not being visible.
Is there a porgram commonly used that I might not have? I do have XP professional running, and the usual Flash, Microsoft and so on already loaded. In fact the problem seems to have recently developed so maybe I have the program but it is corrupted.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

boofhead
9th Oct 2005, 18:51
Thanks, Mike, I tried every which way to sort it out varying the security levels, but failed. I have two computers on the same wireless net and one gets the icons and pictures, the other does not. In some cases they both give the red x in the corner of the picture frame, but I suspect that in those cases the input is missing.
I have trouble getting the icons and pictures, some downloaded, some are part of the web page. In most cases clicking on the icon, that I know is supposed to be a link or action button, even though I cannot read it, does not work.
There is a web page, for example, that has a web cam and both computers are now refusing to read that, giving me a red x instead. In the same web page there are some pictures of airplanes, small sized, click on them to view full sized. The main computer will only show half of them when selected, the others are red x'd, while the other computer shows them all no problem.
I built both computers, both use XP with SP1 and 2, both have IE6 etc, and both are set to the same security level. The one that is giving me trouble is hard wired into the wireless (it is the host).
So far as I know, both have flash readers and all the latest gadgets, but I suspect one of them has failed, since running with no security at all does not help. Mind you, I don't know if I am actually getting rid of the security, since I can only modify it in custom. It will not let me select lower than MED in the normal Default level (I use IE, but it is the same for my Windows security settings). I also use AVG virus protection. After a trial, when I come back to re-set it to normal, it already there. I suspect that setting the reduced protection, even APPLY, does not work since the computer thinks it knows better than I do what is acceptable and what is not.

BRL
10th Oct 2005, 00:48
Hi mate, try HERE (http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp) could be a Java issue, fixed my mates problem in the thread in the link above.