PDA

View Full Version : modular or integrated. which is the best way to achieve a frozen ATPL? please advise

nedmackay
27th Sep 2005, 10:14
hi there,

i hold a PPL licence, and have been enjoying my flying so much that i now want to get a professional licence. my goal is to end up with a frozen ATPL, and to eventually be taken on by an airline. the course i have been looking into is the integrated APP course at oxfofrd, kidlington (OAT): i will come out with a frozen ATPL at the end of it if i pass all requirements. OAT tells me that airlines favour students that have done the integrated course over those who have leant the modular route. are they telling me this because it is true, or because the integrated course is more expensive and more beneficial for them?

if there are any professional pilots out there who could advise me on this, i would greatly appreciate it.

many thanks, Ned

Jetstream Rider
27th Sep 2005, 10:26
British Airways don't take people who have completed a modular course - only integrated. This is because with an integrated course there is more scope for supervision (7 progress tests as opposed to 3) and the quality of training is usually known. This is because it will be from an established school rather than a local flying club.

Integrated courses are also better in as much as you get continuity of training instead of doing it in fits and starts. The cost of course is the disadvantage.

I cannot be sure, but I imagine some other airlines have similar policies.

BA have a relationship with Oxford and they know the quality and the set up, I would stick with the integrated if you can afford it.

Having said that, there are plenty of people who have gone the modular route and now have good jobs - some even who have been taken on by carriers like BA who see you in a different light after having commercial experience.

YYZ
27th Sep 2005, 15:02
Best place this question on the "professional pilot training" forum.
However, I would suggest you do a search prior, this subject has been covered to death, no real answer, certain airlines prefer integrated others do not.

YYZ

IDENTING
27th Sep 2005, 16:34
You'll still get a job if you do it modular, and the money you'll save is enough to buy a light aircraft, or a mortgage deposit on a big house, or start your own airline!
when it comes to the mcc or other sim checks, modular pilots are often found to have far better training. You also finish with more hours and have complete control of finances through out. Just pick your training providers with care and remember that your by no means guaranteed an interview let alone a job if you do choose intergrated.
Do it modular, pay for an interview with ryanair, and then buy a type rating on an A320. You'll still finish with change in your pocket and its exactly what the kids from the kidlington sausage factory will have to do anyway.

Strepsils
27th Sep 2005, 19:10
As mentioned, been done to death and you'll be up for weeks reading the posts you'll find on a search.

Just to respond to a few quotes on this page :

Jetstream Rider : BA do not only take integrated students, and they recruit from many more schools than Oxford. Like for like, being integrated may be enough to get you an interview ahead of another candidate identical to you in every way except that they went modular, however even that is not guaranteed.

IDENTING : " mcc or other sim checks, modular pilots are often found to have far better training" - and your source for that would be?

As for the "Go modular, have change to fly to the moon etc." argument, most people don't have £60k in their back pocket. Sure, banks will let you the money towards an integrated course, usually half, sometimes all the costs, but I don't know a single bank that will lend you £60k for a £30k modular course leaving you the rest to fritter away. And why pay for a ryanair interview if you're going on the A320?;)

Do the course that suits you as a person. If you don't mind being away from home and like to study in one go, do integrated.

If you like being at home and studying bit by bit, go modular.