PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jackson's aircraft collection

What time is ECT?
26th Sep 2005, 22:05
I was reading a little about Peter Jackson's WW1 collection of aircraft, and think that it's very nice of him to invest in these old aircraft. However, PPrune doesn't have much info on these aircraft.

Have you flown these aircraft?
Do you know if they are being put together for the King Kong movie?

I believe that they are regularly used at the Classic Fighters airshow, but haven't been able to attend it.

ECT?

PPRuNe Towers
27th Sep 2005, 11:52
Our aviation history forum is moderated by camel pilot.

There's no hyperbole in his choice of username;) ;) and the only aviation museum we give free advertising to is the UK's Shuttleworth Trust where the types you are interested in are preserved, restored, and flown by volunteeers.

Regards
Rob

tipsy
27th Sep 2005, 12:07
What on earth is that reply all about. :confused: :confused:

OK I just worked it out..........................it advertising :ok:

tipsy

PPRuNe Towers
27th Sep 2005, 16:30
err actually I think I answered two of the questions. An experienced pilot of WW1 types working here on PPRuNe who can answer questions and the search engine will bring up his detailed descriptions of handling impressions etc.

If it's not a regular forum for Ozmates to haunt this thread shows how some of us enjoy our weekends in perfidious Albion.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=191470

A useful start until someone else comes along.

Regards
rob

27th Sep 2005, 21:10
Gee when I saw the heading I thought you were talking about his leased GIV thats been sitting in a hangar in AA for the last few months because [it's rumoured] that the people he has operating it can't find pilots who will also clean the boss's car on their days off.

:cool: :ok:

An [experienced] pilot shortage is a GOOD thing.

reynoldsno1
28th Sep 2005, 01:03
You might want to look here (http://www.classicfighters.co.nz/)

tipsy
28th Sep 2005, 01:06
Is anybody else as confused as I am at a reference to Shuttleworth in the UK in relation to some questions about an Aircraft Collection (albeit private) in NZ.

As a result of a conversation with an esteemed Woomera, I have now had a translation from "Queens English" into Aussie speak. As I understand it, it has something to do with the mentioned private collection having some kind of (whispering the word) profit ability which is of course a no no on this website.

Given that the origins of this website is UK based, it is not all that surprising that it will suffer from UK centric thinking and directed sponsorship. Those in Dunnunda & Godzone will have to get their "in the flesh" aviation history and any associated nostalgia from home grown sources that we are not allowed to mention in case it is perceived as advertising.

My reference to the 'Queens English" should not be seen as suggesting that that particular poster is one:ok:, it is his language I speak of.

tipsy
:yuk: :yuk: furball:yuk: :yuk:
Don't lie, steal or cheat, the Government hates competition

MOR
28th Sep 2005, 11:58
It all seems a little small-minded to me.

Anybody who is actively preserving and flying old aircraft deserves support.

I can understand PPRuNe not wanting to directly support such people of groups where money is the motive behind their activities, but that is often not the case.

Why Shuttleworth enjoys such privileged status is beyond me. I used to visit Old Warden frequently (I lived about five miles away at the time), and I would consider it to be a fine work, but not the only deserving one, or even necessarily the most deserving of support.

Anyway... Dannys train set, and all that...

PPRuNe Towers
28th Sep 2005, 12:11
A rather dyspectic outburst of hyperbole Tinny;)

Until someone from the Southern hemishere comes along with information a holding reply kept the thread towards the top.

There are without dispute guys who can talk with real experience regarding fabulous Australian and NZ based vintage aircraft. A pointer in the interim to a forum which might not often be visited by readers here might prove interesting for some.

A little delving in the history forum would lead our thread starter to the jottings of someone who is week in, week out current on everything from Bleriot and Boxkite, through WW1 aircaft both allied and axis and onto the Spit. And I don't mean a quick work up for an annual Avalon type show either.

Surely a useful diversion for someone fascinated by aircraft from this period while waiting for a reply regarding the Jackson aircraft?

Incidently, if you search on 'Albatros Productions' you will find a recent edition of their magazine 'Windsock' carries a good article on the the BE2 produced for the Man of Mordor.

Regards to all,
rob

Scion
3rd Oct 2005, 07:22
There are many fine public and private collections in Oz and Nz with the practicle effect of what Shutleworth is doing. Remember Shuttleworth is a part, I think, of a trust which involves a Swiss garden, the English School of Falconry and other worthwhile persuits. Now HARS is a not for profit organization with full charitable status so I cannot see that it or another like organization should not garner the favoured position that Shuttleworth has up here in Australia.

I have a very small collection of aeroplanes and projects and certainly make no money out of them and I suspect Mr Jackson is also contributing rather than withdrawing funds on a regular basis.

We all do this as a sense of history and for the "f" word--FUN.

So the more we can help each other rather than being like children in the back of a car saying "he's in my space" the better.

Hugs and Kisses to all

Scion

tipsy
3rd Oct 2005, 09:53
You are quite correct Scion, there are numerous admirable organisations/museums/trusts and individuals that restore and operate heritage aircraft in our part of the World. I am frequently reminded (as if a mantra) that the rules of this trainset do not recognise/allow mention of anything except Shuttleworth as if no others exsist ( but they do. ;) )

tipsy:ok:

Scion
4th Oct 2005, 09:14
Perhaps this thread should be transfered to the History section if the moderator thinks that this would be worth while?