PDA

View Full Version : Written exams

Ruthless
26th Sep 2005, 09:15
I understand that you are allowed 4 attempts at any one exam. If you fail after four attempts are there any avenues open whatsoever to try again. Does anyone know the definitive answer to this please.

p.savage
26th Sep 2005, 09:59
Ruthless,

My understanding of that is that, you are allowed four attempts at each exam, if you fail after the fourth sitting on any one exam, be it your first or your last, you will be required to re-sit all 14 ATPL exams, or all the ones you have so far completed.

Hope this helps.
SAVAGE

TenAndie
26th Sep 2005, 10:38
....and you are also allowed 6 sittings in total.

wbryce
26th Sep 2005, 11:26
ill throw in my understanding of the subject also! :E

I believe you have 6 sittings in which to complete all 14 exams. If you take more than 4 sittings for one exam (you fail it 4 times)....its back to the beginning.

If you pass all your exams first time you would have used 2 sittings (7 exams on one sitting, 7 on the other...or 8 v 6...how ever your chosen school operates) with 4 remaining sittings remaining.

So you only really have 3 sittings remaining to pass which ever exam(s) you failed (counting your initial attempt).

correct me if im wrong please!

*edited* its 6 sittings not my mentioned 5! thanks TenAndie! (i was the bloke infront of you at AA's assesments).

Ruthless
26th Sep 2005, 11:32
I am greatful for your comments. I thought if you fail one exam 4 times you were finished from ever trying again. From your responses it appears that is not the case, just you have to start from scratch again and pass all 14 exams. Can anyone clarify this please.

wbryce
26th Sep 2005, 11:52
Thats correct....

Heres what Lasors (download it from the CAAs website, great piece of information) says about it:

A candidate must complete all required written
examination papers within 18 months of their first
sitting, using a maximum of 6 sittings and no more than
4 attempts at an individual paper within the 6 sittings.
The papers can be attempted in any order. A Pass in
an examination paper will be awarded to a candidate
achieving at least 75% of the marks allocated to that
paper. An applicant failing to pass all of the relevant
examinations within the time limits (imposed by
JAR-FCL 1.490/2.490) will be required to re-enter the
examinations as though for an initial attempt.

3legs
26th Sep 2005, 18:21
Ruthless,

from experience of failing a first and second series by 1 mark (74%) You can ask the CAA to remark your paper (£21 for the privilage!) and they will sit down and manually remark it and then give you a mark. Usually it does not change. The CGI at my school has said that in his experience he has never known of the CAA changing marks after a remark. There has been one occasion where they did grant a candidate an extra sitting and this was only because they took ill in the examination room.

Once you have failed an exam after a fourth attempt you have to attend groundschool for 2 weeks retraining. Then you can re apply to take the exams again.

Hope this helps

Cheers

3Legs :ok: