PDA

View Full Version : Norton "Progress Indicator" When Scanning Outgoing E-mail

BLUE SKY THINKER
25th Sep 2005, 23:54
Norton Internet Security 2003. ...Fully updated, both Liveupdate and subscription. ...E-mail scanning 'on' ...Under 'Options', e-mail scanning, 'in' and 'out', checked selected ...More to the point, "Display progress indicator when sending e-mail" similarly checked.

Question: Progress indicator never shows when sending e-mail (would be obvious on the longer, graphic rich e-mails); why?

(vague thought) This program was installed at a time when I was using AOL as my ISP along with AOL's (non POP3/SMTP) mail client. ...It was not designed to work with this, nor was I expecting it to do so. ...Since then I have moved on/uninstalled from AOL (to V21) and am now using OutlookExpress via separate 1&1 POP3/SMPT mail server. ...Despite all indications that the Norton e-mail scanning is working (apart from the progres indicator) is it possible that AOL's intrusive software somehow disabled this function at the time in view of its unique mail client (don't think it supported POP3/SMTP then, although it does now)?

Anyone any suggestions, or noticed lack of indicator? ...Puzzling.

Thanks in anticipation.

BLUE SKY THINKER
27th Sep 2005, 22:37
Cracked it several days later; answering my own question in case useful to somebody in the future on a 'Search' of the subject.

Only seems to work (and now is) on default SMTP Port 25. ...Due to e-mailing problems with previous ISP I was advised at the time to use alternative Port 587, which was still enabled.