PDA

View Full Version : Do FAA hours count in Europe?

airmiles
25th Sep 2005, 22:34
Hi There,

Can anyone please for once tell me what the deal is with my FAA hours? This is the thing, I basically have an FAA CPL IR ME SE. I have just passed the 14 ATPL exams, and now to work in Europe I need to convert my licence to JAR licence. I have decided to do the CPL conversion in Florida and the IR conversion in Spain. I want to know after I obtain this what my chances are of getting hired in Europe as a First Officer? The reason I ask is because someone said that my American hours will be frowned upon when applying for jobs in Europe. Is this true? Will a lot of my American hours not count? Please can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanking you in advance,

Airmiles.

ZAZOO
26th Sep 2005, 04:23
Your American hours count. Get your log book endorsed (stamped) by your flight school.

Hours from anywhere in the world count. Why they frown over it, well they know better!

The hours logged into a pilots log book gives an employer an idea of how much experience the person sitting in front of him has, whether its from the US or down in bujumbura.

B2N2
26th Sep 2005, 15:34
Bujumbura happens to be in Burundi..:E
All hrs count, however have some proof to back it up.
Some have been mentioned already;

-have instructors sign your flights, this is normal in the USA
-have the Chief Flight Instructor stamp and sign your logbook, "I certify that all the above entries from....to...... are correct etc.
- ask your school or FBO to send you an overall invoice that states all your hrs there, flight and ground.

This way nobody can ever argue whether it's all true or not.
Have fun..

Turkish777
26th Sep 2005, 20:57
Sorry Airmiles to alter the subject a bit but had a similar question.

Regarding the JAA CPL which require100 hrs PIC prior to starting, will the PIC I gained in my FAA IR go towards the 100 I require for my CPL as I've heard various stories. I would like to find out as Im currently hours building and wondered if Im wasting my money when I could just start now??..??

Stpaul
27th Sep 2005, 20:16
You need 100hours of JAA PIC. Whether this is the same as 100 hrs FAA PIC will depend upon the types of flights you have flown in the USA and how they were recorded.

For example, in the US, the lookout Co-pilot (if the PIC Pilot under the hood) could log the flight as PIC but not under JAA.

Therefore the yanks tend to end up with more PIC/P1 time than the Europeans.
I would go through your log book and look at all your entries, you may need to re-record the hours in a new book and get them signed off.

Hope it helps, but you need to consult 'lasors' as to what counts for JAA PIC hours, and you need 100 of them!