PDA

View Full Version : Qantas History-Help!

tactical71
25th Sep 2005, 03:11
Hi there,
My father turns 80 in January and he is a retired Qantas Pilot with nearly 40years flying for Qantas and RAAF before that.
I wanted to get a professionally made, framed, service history for him, similar to that done for military, but Qantas instead.
I can probably get access to a set of wings and F/O eppulettes, but what I dont have is details, about his service. Thins like when he joined, all the different a/c types he flew(there were many).
I have contacted Qantas Customer Service and they have told me that they dont keep records about past staff!!

Is there any current Qantas pilots that might know of a Qantas history club or something similar that might be able to help me out here.

Many thanks

Gus

4Greens
26th Sep 2005, 06:01
Check out AIPA (Australian Intenational Pilots Association) on the web and then contact them. If they dont have the info they will be able to tell you where to look.

Fantome
26th Sep 2005, 06:29
. . . . are virtually non-existant. No point in looking for anything on anyone who retired or who otherwise dropped off. The curator of the Qantas Historical Collection in Coward Street recently said in answer to a similar enquiry that management have a shredding policy, and that when the library moved from Hunter Street to Mascot some 30 years ago, huge swags of material were thrown out.

Anyone with a legimate research purpose may visit the historical room, which is manned by a few retiree volunteers. Most of the material is very general, stacks of brochures and timetables and old models and emphemera. No data base at all.
Some new recruits, computor savvy, with a sense of history, might manage to reconstruct some people profiles with help from a Sherlock or two.

tactical71
26th Sep 2005, 07:36
Thanks guys
I am currently in contact with 2 gentlemen from the QF retired Cabin Crew Club who are looking into this for me. Thanks again for the assistance.

Regards
Angus

Milt
26th Sep 2005, 07:46
tactical71

The flying log books will provide a wealth of information.

The RAAF Museum at Point Cook will be an excellent repository for the log books when you are finished with them. Better than being shredded by Qantas.