PDA

View Full Version : JAA in Sydney

salin
25th Sep 2005, 00:35
Just wondering if any schools in Sydney (or the eastern seaboard for that matter) will be following Western Australian Aviation College in getting accredited for JAA training?

Boomerang
25th Sep 2005, 20:59
I really don't see the point unless you are a newbie. In that case you would be better off trying for s sponsorship like they have in the UK.

If you already have an AUS licence try doing the theory by correspondence, whilst building your hours and saving the dosh to pay for the airfares and exam fees etc. It's cheaper.

DBLE
29th Sep 2005, 06:25
Boomerang, if you check their website you will see WA Aviation College are now offering conversion training for JAA as well as the integrated course.

I notice that all you need is a PPL to be able to start JAA Distance learning.:ok:

Salin, I doubt there will be any other schools with JAA approval, very expensive and too small a market here in Oz.

Boomerang
1st Oct 2005, 06:28
DBLE, sorry you are quite correct, I should get my facts straight.

I also notice it now looks like you can do the flying for the JAA CPL in Australia, which I thought you were previously not able to do. Fantastic for those considering converting.

Also, for ATPL holders with 1,500 hours on certified multipilot aircraft, you can get away with NO flight training. Just do the JAR ATPL skills test (which counts for a Type Rating test) with an approved JAR FTO on the aircraft you are endorsed on and you "should" (best to double check with the relevant countys' authority first) be issued with your full ATPL, and you just apply for an exemption for the MCC requirement which you "should" also recieve. (This is of course after doing the JAR class one medical and passing all 14 exams)

Captain Can't
2nd Oct 2005, 02:43
boomarang,

its 3000 hrs on A/C over 30,000kgs inc. 1500 hrs PIC... according to the WAAC website (http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/)

(for ATPL (icao) convert hopefuls)

what a pita for the pleasure for working in the eu, icao not good enough?? hmmm :hmm:

Boomerang
2nd Oct 2005, 06:40
CC.

I believe the 3,000 on >30K has to do with the reduction of theory training required, in any case it was never raised as an issue for me since I did the full theory course. I can't imagine anyone sitting the JAR exams not having followed some theory course.

It is hard to find the appropriate references in the JARs. JAR FCL 1.280 deals with the requirements for the issue of an ATPL. In section 1.016 (b) they speak of "validation"which is not really relevant. I followed the requirements as if I was a European national going for the licence. The ATPL skills test is fairly involved and they seemed to accept the succesfull pass, with the 1,500 multi crew hours as sufficient.

I have never flown any aircraft >30K, nor any certified multi pilot aircraft as PIC, however I should have my JAR ATPL within a few weeks. If I'm wrong, I'm @$%#*& :)

However I was sure to get it all in writing from the aviation authorities before I put down the $$$ because there are a lot of clauses in the JARs that can stuff things up.

redsnail
2nd Oct 2005, 08:25
The 1500 hours in command of +30 tonne aircraft with 3000 hours TT is to do the UK ATPL only. That license will only let you fly G-reg aircraft.

You only need to do 2 exams and a checkride with the CAA on a relevant multipilot aircraft or approved sim.

To get out of having to do any formal training you need to hold an ICAO ATPL and your theory hours can be reduced. To get out of having to do any formal flight training (eg formal IR conversion) you'll need an ICAO ATPL with 500 hours on multipilot a/c (or multicrew with approval) and you need to do your check on that aircraft or sim.

Eg 7000 hour TT but 5000 hrs FO with 500 hours on a 737 (FO). ICAO ATPL.
You'll need to do the 14 exams with an abbreviated theory course (or just do distance learning). Flight check would be a CAA observed 737 LST in the sim.

4000 hours TT, 1500 hours in command on Bae146. You can do the UK CAA ATPL. 2 exams (Air Law and Human Performance I think) + a CAA observed LST on the Bae 146.
If you then want to fly for Ryanair or Netjets you'll need to complete the 14 exams to get a JAA license.