PDA

View Full Version : Pilots in uniform!

propwash85
23rd Sep 2005, 16:53
Gday all,

Just a short story,

Was in a local large pub in Sydney last night about 11pm and in came the door was a young student pilot in full uniform-1 bar epaulettes, tie, aviators sunnies in the top pocket, leather jacket over the shoulder. The whole box and dice to try and pick up the girls really! Have seen this a few times but not in a huge pub among a hundred odd people or more on a Friday night. He seemed to be getting more laughs and sniggers than compliments!

I was a newbie not too long ago but wouldn't wear my student uniform into a public bar on a packed Friday night... Just wondering if anyone else has seen this among the newbies these days??? Seems like these new pilots are more interested in the glamour and money than the flying, not that there's a whole lot of glamour or money much of the time, at least for me!! :p

Cheers!

Flintstone
23rd Sep 2005, 17:06
Back when I was at Coolangatta a 'problem' student from the school next door was seen up at Surfers one night dressed up in uniform.

Same deal, most people laughing at him. Especially the women.

Shiny Side Up
23rd Sep 2005, 18:02
Speaking of which, why the hell do so many pilot uniforms also include a tie? Seems like the most retarded thing to have to wear...especially when watching guys getting smacked in the face with it on a blustery day as they do a walkaround :}

Shiny

pakeha-boy
23rd Sep 2005, 21:15
propwash85....mate, why are you so surprised :confused: ...its always "Halloween" in Sydney:p .....puhoi

Bongo Bus Driver
23rd Sep 2005, 21:34
Next time you see this rock up to the newbie and ask him how which taxi company they work for.

The tie is there to hang yourself with when you see your pay cheque.

HEALY
24th Sep 2005, 02:22
Guy in Perth WA went into a night club a couple years back with the full outfit. Do a search on /Cringeworthy' on this forum and you will shudder for hours.

Pass-A-Frozo
24th Sep 2005, 04:49
So does Mr Cringeworth from Perth still fly? Does he still cop :mad: for it??

tactical71
24th Sep 2005, 04:52
Shiny said

" Speaking of which, why the hell do so many pilot uniforms also include a tie? Seems like the most retarded thing to have to wear...especially when watching guys getting smacked in the face with it on a blustery day as they do a walkaround"

All I have to say to that is.....you dont too many rotary pilots with ties! It looks a bit stupid wearing a tie with a T shirt.

Cheers
Gus

I must learn to use the preview feature before posting!
But Im sure you get the jist of my last post.

Cheers
Gus

Metro man
24th Sep 2005, 06:09
I knew someone who used to carry his licence with him when he went out a night club so he could prove he was a pilot. This was not the credit card one which you reasonably leave in a wallet all the time , but the large book type. Must have spoilt the line of his pimp suit :yuk:

DeBurcs
24th Sep 2005, 20:01
The most surprising thing is that "it" (wallies wearing flying kit to a pub) bothers some people SO SO much - that it's straight onto the internet to register one's disgust over it.

Yes he's undoubtedly a nerd but really, who cares? Are we going to have a discussion on wearing rank bars again next?

To answer the question, yes every now and then some misguided youngster comes along and learns to fly, thinking it might be the best job on (or above) the earth.

Then one Friday night, the inevitable happens: He goes home, still in uniform, thinks of an excuse to stop in somewhere without getting changed, and then, full of pride, struts into a pub full of older disenchanted and worn-outs who rush home to the PC to shred his dignity for the crime of having pride in himself.

Tall poppy syndrome at work again.

tom19
24th Sep 2005, 23:35
propwash85.

I've seen this sort of thing a few times also. I don't know how anybody would have the guts to walk into such a public place in uniform and then get sniggered at. Must have a lot of pride...

DeBurcs, I don't really think that anybody is disgusted or there is a case of tall poppy syndrome.

The point is, you wouldn't see a police officer struting around in his uniform at a pub having a beer, or an army officer, submarine officer etc etc. Same sort of thing. We are just having a laugh at the fact that some people will show off their uniforms to get all the attention, especially from the women, but, it usually ends up being their worst enemy!

Cheers.

Continental-520
25th Sep 2005, 04:12
A lot of my non-aviator friends in the past have suggested to me that going out in uniform would be a "hit", and that I'd probably have a lot more luck with women if I wore it, and I've promptly informed them that I think it would also be a "hit" in the sense that it would result in one from some passer by who found themselves some free entertainment.

Defnitely not the choice of the night from the wardrobe if you're destined for James St, Northbridge on a Friday evening, or any public venue on any night I wouldn't think.

520...:cool:

Lasiorhinus
25th Sep 2005, 06:40
Well, he had confidence, at least.
Somehow I dont think he'll be doing it again in the near future.

If he was wearing one-bar epaulettes, somehow i doubt he was on his way home from 'work'.

propwash85
25th Sep 2005, 11:43
well lets just hope our friend reads this forum! :p

haughtney1
25th Sep 2005, 12:49
Made the BIG mistake of travelling home from work late one Friday nite in uniform on the train (london UK)....never having had a second thought about it.

"allright captain..wheres your boat?.."
:hmm:
was but one of the more humourous comments passed my way...

Never again..now when I leave the crew room..epaulettes off...old duffer coat on:ok:

Crazy Fists
25th Sep 2005, 12:59
I find incredicle that some 'peen-arse' would go on a bender in uniform. Are you sure he was not a stripper?

rmcdonal
26th Sep 2005, 01:23
I can't belive that a student pilot could afford to go the pub on a friday night :sad:
Not giving it a 100% :E

XXRASHTSGR
26th Sep 2005, 04:40
I can't believe that student pilots have a uniform at all!

:= :=

One bar...good grief. :rolleyes:

captwawa
26th Sep 2005, 17:16
I walked into a pub once in uniform,, but was a different story.

was working for flying doc, and lost me keys to office whilst on duty , med 1 was called and the other pilot was in there blind , had to go steal his keys.

I did feel rather stupid tho..

Enema Bandit's Dad
26th Sep 2005, 20:49
I did it as a dare once. My mate wouldn't believe that I would and I picked up two chicks that evening. He couldn't believe it. And what's more he didn't score either. Must have been the little wings that I wore :D

cool&thegang
27th Sep 2005, 02:13
Nearly as funny as the "pilot" who lobbed up to a certain airline's birthday bash last weekend dressed in full white Maverick kit,even had his offsider Goose by his side all night....it all got to much to bear when he found an audience of cabin crew and turned to Goose and said....."I think she's lost that loving feeling"......:ok:

The Bullwinkle
28th Sep 2005, 01:58
I always thought that there was an unwritten law, that if you wore your epaulettes in a pub, you had to shout the bar. That's enough reason for me not to go for a drink in uniform :ok:

Tagneah
28th Sep 2005, 02:15
Nearly as funny as the "pilot" who lobbed up to a certain airline's birthday bash last weekend dressed in full white Maverick kit

Well the theme of the party was "movie stars"

He had to fight his way through all the Austin Powers' and Deuce Bigalows. Just a trifle different than the subject of this thread.

Wouldn't want the facts to get in the way though!

cool&thegang
28th Sep 2005, 03:58
it's ok Tag,all in good fun,i'm sure the ladies loved ya!

Tagneah
28th Sep 2005, 04:10
Nahhh all wrong Cool,

We went as Doug and Steve Boutabi.

The Bullwinkle
28th Sep 2005, 04:31
Actually, those 2 guys looked pretty cool, I've got to admit. Don't think they were actually pilots, but they did put a lot of effort into their costumes. Lost count of the number of Austin Powers, (as well as how many VB's I had).

HKG Phooey
28th Sep 2005, 09:27
Maybe this guy was on his way to work??? :\

sweet... :E

SkySista
29th Sep 2005, 05:13
520, someone beat me to the stripper comment.. but you're right, going anywhere near James ST in uniform on a Fri night would be suicide..... (unless one likes dancing on a podium for the ladies :E)

Once saw a QF pilot at a servo but somehow don't think that was an intentional "I think I'm going to show off my uniform" moment...

I often see cabin crew around the place in uniform.... but you never hear them getting bagged for it..... so what's the difference??

gallie girl
29th Sep 2005, 11:23
Overnighting in a NSW country town one night, as we stepped from the cab out onto the footpath of our hotel, the first officer was mistaken for a Salvation Army Officer, by some of the locals.. he placed his hat out in front of him and the intoxicated local placed 10 bucks in his hat!!!!!

cheers gg

Continental-520
29th Sep 2005, 23:21
You never hear of a Security Guard getting an earful for it either.

:rolleyes:

Captain Can't
2nd Oct 2005, 02:55
drivin to work for a day trip (so no other clobber in the car with me) a few weeks back and got my rear bumper re-arranged by some tart in her b/f's z3... I thought it a tad embarassing on a busy road but imagine if it was me who hit her, now that would be awful!! :oh:
I personally don't like some moron swooning the girls at a bar in uniform, it denigrates what it stands for! (what it actually stands for is another thread in itself! - but you get my drift i hope)
:rolleyes:

wateroff
6th Oct 2005, 02:42
Have to agree with some of the previous. Always was and has been to shout the bar. Students used to learn the hard way when bounding into the bar feeling invincible with their superman outfit on. Scored many polar bear and cokes.

Pass-A-Frozo
6th Oct 2005, 15:43
Then one Friday night, the inevitable happens: He goes home, still in uniform, thinks of an excuse to stop in somewhere without getting changed, and then, full of pride, struts into a pub full of older disenchanted and worn-outs who rush home to the PC to shred his dignity for the crime of having pride in himself.

Tall poppy syndrome at work again.

Actually it's small poppie syndrome. Much more fun hanging crap down the "ladder of opportunity".

Just like those lazy single mums living off welfare and child support. :p

transonic dragon
19th Oct 2005, 05:12
Two points here...

1. TIES

Shiny Side Up said:-

"Speaking of which, why the hell do so many pilot uniforms also include a tie? Seems like the most retarded thing to have to wear...especially when watching guys getting smacked in the face with it on a blustery day as they do a walkaround"

Not if it's a bow tie.

2. IMPRESSING OTHERS

De Burs said:-

"The most surprising thing is that "it" (wallies wearing flying kit to a pub) bothers some people SO SO much - that it's straight onto the internet to register one's disgust over it.

Yes he's undoubtedly a nerd but really, who cares? Are we going to have a discussion on wearing rank bars again next?

To answer the question, yes every now and then some misguided youngster comes along and learns to fly, thinking it might be the best job on (or above) the earth.

Tall poppy syndrome at work again."

De Burcs fails to realise that in aviation, you ABSOLUTELY MUST do what your peer group and/or elders expect you to do and act. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should any individual personality or opinions be expressed. To be one of the crowd is the most important thing in the entire industry. Conformity = success in aviation = eternal happiness.

The Messiah
20th Oct 2005, 02:32
transonic dragon

A student pilot is not a tall poppy but a tosser in the bar in uniform and should be treated accordingly.