PDA

View Full Version : Mainland Air Dunedin Students

Shiny Side Up
23rd Sep 2005, 16:34
I'm looking at doing PPL, CPL, Multi IR and Cat C with Mainland Air sometime next year. Would really appreciate hearing from current / former students their impressions of the training, environment, fleet, and instructors. Any info would be much appreciated.
Cheers,

Shiny :ok:

mattyj
23rd Sep 2005, 22:09
if you get PPLCPLMEIRCCAT all done in one year could you fill us in on your secret..loads of us out here would like to know how you did it!!

Shiny Side Up
23rd Sep 2005, 22:22
Matty J - Sorry mate, I meant STARTING next year.

Mainland is talking about 14 months full time to get through all the ratings. I know its prob a bit tight, but I'll be there to study hard - its a f**kload of money to spend on training, so I'll be ready to work my arse off.

LocoDriver
24th Sep 2005, 10:48
All those ratings in 14 months???
anyone done it before???

That would equate to at least FOUR hours per day(average)
in the air! , assuming a five day week???

I dont think so, -tread carefully!

I have fast tracked a few students in the past, but that fast?????

dont get railroaded!
:E

flyby_kiwi
25th Sep 2005, 08:00
Havnt flown there myself but have had a nosey round thier Sennecas - was very impressed, nice III series from memory.
Didnt the guys at Hasting used to get things done in around about that time frame?

beaverlover
25th Sep 2005, 21:31
Mainland put the some sutudents through CPL(incl. PPL) and either C Cat or Multi in the first year. With the other rating at the start of the following year.

This only works with students that pull finger. So if thats you id say go 4 it. The others do CPL in first year and multi and c cat in first half of next year.

LocoDriver,

Where do you get you figures from.

4 hours a day, 5 days a week for 14 months (60 weeks) equalls 1200 hours.

CPL 200

C Cat 25 plus spinning a p in c time 75 hours ish

MEIR 30 - 40 hours

Even with holidays it is very achievable for people that WANT IT..

LocoDriver
25th Sep 2005, 23:20
Beaverlover- you are so right!
My apologies for the Maths!!!!!

Must be diesel fumes or coal smoke, or too many hours in the bugsmasher!

Assuming 300 odd hrs, thats 25 per month, (over 12 months)not a lot, but taking study, exams, weather outages, aircraft falling over, it does mean a lot of work!

I put a PPL thru several years ago in three and a half weeks, from whoa to go, hard on both of us.! But, he did it!!

Mainland have a very good reputation(as do most Sth island schools) Yes, a motivated student could do it, but it would still be hard yakka.

Must get a new abacus too, for doing the sums! thats embarassing for a senior instructor.

Cheers
:E

mattyj
26th Sep 2005, 00:48
Just so long as you get your sums right for the tasman trip Loco..

..or take a chilli bin to float on:ok: :ok:

AerocatS2A
26th Sep 2005, 01:35
I did my CPL with Mainland. It was very good, professionally outfit etc. Of course, I did it quite some time ago when it was owned and operated by Tim and Bronwyn Fleming. It does sound as though it still has a good reputation. Certainly a better option than the aeroclub in my opinion.

Shiny Side Up
26th Sep 2005, 02:43
Cheers all for the responses and insight. I have read a great deal of conflicting info on the Aero Club so it makes sense just to avoid it entirely. Have spoken with a few others and all have good to excellent remarks about Mainland.

Can't wait to be back in NZ, I've had enough of the US and A.

Hope to buy some of you pruners a beer when I'm back home, your advice is very much appreciated.

Shiny

beaverlover
26th Sep 2005, 04:14
Cheers Loco,

I know the feeling :)

It is hard work, but most in the industry will testify you have to work your ars* off to make it. Its a long hard slog but we wouldnt be doing anything else.

purplemonkydishwashr
27th Sep 2005, 02:37
I did a portion of my training at Mainland, and susequently worked there for a couple of years (now flying for a NZ regional). The place is an excellent option, If you're prepared to work hard, and if you're able to get on with others.

The staff are all enthusiastic and the atmosphere is personal and freindly, whilst losing nothing in the professionalism stakes.
They state that from day 1 your training is also a large 2 year job interview, as they do seem to employ only people who train there (a proven quantity).

I believe at the moment, that they also get all students out of their C cat supervision by doing hours at the local Otago Aero Club, which can also lead on to future employment.

The flying they do is also really varied and enjoyable. ie Training and multi ATO's in seneca'a and a chieftain (quite a bit of air ambulance work and flying in the mountains).

The bottom line if you are looking to succeed at getting work there (and i'm sure this isn't exclusive to Mainland) is a professional attitude without having a carrot up your a**e, it's important that you can have a beer with the guys after a long week (without brown-nosing). Put in the hard yards (even when it seems unfair), and keep a smile on your dial at the end of it all.

Good place with excellent prospects, (about 9 staff in the last 3ish years gone to regionals).