PDA

View Full Version : Leeds Flying School

speedbird001
23rd Sep 2005, 07:39
HI all,

I visited Leeds Flying School a couple of weeks ago and had a good chat about doing my CPL/MEP/IR with them, first impressions seemed ok, anyone got any feedback on these guys good or bad ?? aslo Multiflight over the road ??

Cheers

SB001

YYZ
23rd Sep 2005, 09:41
Both reasonable outfits from my experience, and similar costs for your requirements.

I know which I would choose but that would be personal choice, go visit Multiflight as well before you attempt to decide.

Multiflight have three BE76's and I think LFS now have x2 GA7's, (that's if G-HR is there's full time now?), so decide which aircraft you would prefer, if any?

The instructors at both schools are excellent (Mike Dyson is an CPL Examiner also), so no problems there, the only concern with either of the outfits at the moments is with LFS, currently in the process of being sold by Tony Denson, might not be a problem, more information would be needed?

Good luck in your choice.

YYZ

duir
23rd Sep 2005, 09:42
I did CPL/ME/IR recently with LFS and passed both 1st time. They have some excellent instructors and are a very freindly place. Don't be afraid to ask all the questions you may have as Dylan(ops) will give you straight answers. If you want any more info P.M. me.

LFS
23rd Sep 2005, 10:48
To confirm we do have two GA7 Cougars (as far as I know Multiflight have two BE76s), G-BLHR is here permanently.

YYZ
23rd Sep 2005, 10:54
HI Dylan,

Multiflight took delivery of another BE76 yesterday so I have been told, needs to be standardised and have its usual checks I should think, but should be ready to go soon?

YYZ

LFS
23rd Sep 2005, 10:59
fair enough i stand corrected

silverknapper
23rd Sep 2005, 16:05
Mike Dyson - a gentleman and an excellent instructor.
Leeds were very good. When I was there it was 25hrs sim and 25 a/c which was much more useful than the usual 35/15 split. Also being able to use the sim when it's empty for free is very worthwhile.
Downsides - my main problem was only having one a/c, but that seems to have been rectified. It is getting towards the bad time of year for non de iced airplanes but even if you were in a de iced Duchess I doubt you ( or your instructor) would want to go fling into known icing. (As an aside is the Duchess certified for FIKI?)
But overall I would recommend them. They did a good job for me.

duir
23rd Sep 2005, 16:14
Can second that, Mike Dyson is indeed top notch with a vast experience not only of IR instruction and CPL assesment but also military and airline flying. Lets not forget that there are 3 other CPL/IR instructors there as well Tony, John and Stuart who all have different approaches but do excellent work.

speedbird001
23rd Sep 2005, 17:53
Cheers guys, thanks for the info.

I've still got some way to go before I've completed my ATPL exams, I just like to get ahead on where I'll be doing ground school & flight training costs etc.

I'm doing the GS with Bristol.

I went to Multiflight as well, found them ok got shown around the sim centre and shown the full set up.

I think It'll be either Leeds or Multiflight when I do ( Hopefully ) pass all of my exams as they are only 40 mins drive up the road.

Would appreciate it if anyone else had anything to say about them good or bad.

Cheers

SB001

Joaquín
24th Sep 2005, 20:02
Hi there,

Speed, just to tell you that I did my grounds with Alex & Co.: first time pass on all of them, excellent teachers, and good friends! I did my PPL in Multiflight along with the old Night and IMC ratings: a very good experience without a doubt; and finally, my CPL ME/IR in LFS: first time pass in IR, very good staff.

I know I'm not helping you, perhaps only to assure that you can't go wrong with any of them!!!!!

Thank you to all of them.

PS: Dylan, I might pay you a visit one of these days just to say hello. Last time I passed by, premises were close (it was Sunday). Are you still in the same place? Please, let me know and regards to all of you.

speedbird001
25th Sep 2005, 10:43
HI Joaquín,

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm struggling a little at the minute with the ground school side of things, not because it's really difficult, it's the time side of things that are a worry for me.

After a long day at work the last thing you want to do is go home and do **** loads of studying, I don't think my motivation is a problem, if you can't get motivated to be a Pilot there must be something wrong. The material from Bristol GS is top also & the student forum we have.Plus other would ATPLs have done it so I shouldn't wine about it, I keep thinking I need to do it full time but that would mean giving up work and I can't do that like most other ATPL students as I have a mortgage

Both the FTOs seemed ok and I got a welcome form them both, a few of the PPL instructors that trained me had good things to say about them both, although I've visited Multiflight twice the first time I didn't really get a good reception but hey we all have bad days at work don't we ? the second time I visited I thought they was ok.

It will be one of them hopefully when I get my exams out of the way, until then I'll just keep plugging away at my notes, just seems a million miles away and a very distant dream at the minute.

Cheers guys

SB001

Leezyjet
25th Sep 2005, 20:41
I was going to consider Multiflight, but after the fiasco I went through trying to self fly hire from them, I will be staying away. I thought I would go self fly hire to see what they were like, and also to take my family up for the first time since getting my PPL.

The instructors were not very helpful, and they were not even prepared to do anything to overcome the problem that they had created by not asking the right questions (well any questions at all actually - they just assumed !!!) when I initially enquired about SFH, and as a result I did not get to finish the check out due to lack of time. Had they told me before we went up there was not enough time to complete the check out, then I wouldn't have gone up and saved myself the money.

They were more bothered about a few £65 trial flights who will most likely never return than someone who was potentially going to spend £20K+ with them.

Not very impressed.

:mad:

G-SPOTs Lost
25th Sep 2005, 21:48
Is it the same Mike Dyson AKA Exam 47?

silverknapper
25th Sep 2005, 23:43
The one and only. ( I couldn't just type yes!)

duir
26th Sep 2005, 09:10
Think Mike is "exam 56 actually!?!"

LFS
26th Sep 2005, 09:27
duir, indeed he is Exam 56.

Joaquin, still in same place let me know if you are in the area again.

speedbird001
26th Sep 2005, 13:57
Now you guys have completely lost me :confused:

SB001 :D

YYZ
26th Sep 2005, 17:31
When you take a test you use the examiners own allocated call sign in place of the aircrafts registration.

YYZ

speedbird001
26th Sep 2005, 19:06
Ah right :O thanks for that

SB001

Maude Charlee
26th Sep 2005, 19:07
Having an 'Exam' callsign is OK as it gives all the ATC units a heads up on the fact that you are on a CAA test, and they are usually far more obliging than usual in that they appear to go out of their way to avoid giving you unneccessary problems with obscure clearances and non-standard approaches.