PDA

View Full Version : Air Luxor A330 on ground at Sydney - whats the go?

22nd Sep 2005, 23:58
Been flying to Sydney a few times over the last few weeks.

Saw an Air Luxor A330 parked in the same spot for about 6 weeks plus and it looks like it hasnt moved.

What is it doing in Sydney and why does it appear to be derelict?

Any takers??

missy
23rd Sep 2005, 00:49
ADF charter moving our defence personnel round the globe

sys 4
23rd Sep 2005, 00:53
leased by australian gov for ferrying troops and contractors to the middle east

TIMMEEEE
23rd Sep 2005, 04:58
It cant be doing a hell of alot of work.

I have driven past the actual aircraft virtually everyday to work airside and have never seen the hulk of a thing even move!

Either the lessor is losing big time or the Oz govt is holding out on them.

Beer Can Dreaming
23rd Sep 2005, 06:24
So the Australian Government is chartering this Portugese airline with a less than stellar reputation to fly our personnel?

Just came across this gem:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/luxor.htm

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20010323-0

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19980510-0

and

http://www.swissskies.com/home.html

Bloody joke when Australian aircraft can be used and are available.
I hope the passengers are used to bad service.

From what I read did the Swiss ban Air Luxor from their airspace????

enicalyth
23rd Sep 2005, 08:44
Air Luxor for a period had the contract to conduct flights for UK MoD from the UK to the Falklands with a 1-2 hr stop at Ascension. They used a TriStar at first, got rid of that, ran an A330. Then BMI took over for a while also with an A330.

I've always suspected that despite Red Roo arrangements AL having over capacity would like to use an A330 for all sorts of military runs including proximity trials and training for both RAF and RAAF tankers.

216Sqn RAF were "busy" at the time AL appeared on the scene. I missed the experience but a colleague who did not just called it bland, no horror stories as in the links above. Also the EEC was getting restless about civilian pax. So charters came in and are still in.

Looks like both the RAF and the RAAF use cheap and cheerful in times of overstretch and to conserve ageing airframes.

Air Lucifer not to be confused with Luxor Air which is Egyptian by the way.

Pass-A-Frozo
23rd Sep 2005, 13:51
It's a damn site better than riding on an IL-76!!!

FirstOfficer
23rd Sep 2005, 18:25
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20010323-0

The above is not Air Luxor... :hmm: Someones been drinking too many fosters :} :} :}

The contract is valid for 6 months, CS-TMT i believe.

nannas_new_hip
23rd Sep 2005, 22:17
I'd rather fly an A330 then a Herc!!!

Pass-A-Frozo
24th Sep 2005, 04:40
I'd rather fly an A330 then a Herc!!!

A330, then a Herc? Where would you take the Herc to? :p

No way! Sleeping on litters after a good night out beats business class everytime!:

dinoburner
24th Sep 2005, 09:01
Flew AL recently courtesy of AUS govt. Nice climb out from departure field until flying pilot realised (at around 500') that he'd pitched up too far. All pax were treated to a nice abrupt bunt and bit too much lap-belt px. Needless to say the pilots amongst us weren't amused.:sad:

Point0Five
25th Sep 2005, 03:14
I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank Beer Can Dreaming for his insightful and well researched commentary. In summary, we have now learned that:

* Joe Public will whine incessantly whenever things do not go 100% their way.

* You should be wary of any airline that has a similar sounding name to a dodgy one.

* Any airline that has ever been highjacked should be deemed unsuitable for use.

* Legal wrangling between airlines is a clear sign of poor operating procedures, not corporate discord.

As can be seen, none of these in any way relates to Air Luxor’s ability to provide airworthy charter services. I’ve not had the pleasure of traveling with Air Luxor, but my associates who have seemed happy enough. As has already been mentioned, this arrangement is a darn sight better than the ridiculous Il-76 fiasco.

I'm all for buying Australian, but I'd like to know where the excess capacity would come from domestically to meet the ADF's needs at a cost effective price?

Miriam
25th Sep 2005, 06:26
I would like to thank the Australian tax payer for this generosity in bringing the aircraft and crews to Australia.

It has been a pleasure to engage in diplomatic relations with the Portuguese cabin crew on their days off.

I felt it was my patriotic duty to render assistance in their time of need.

Thank you Australia

:}

Magoodotcom
25th Sep 2005, 22:12
It should be pointed out that, sullied reputation or otherwise, the ADF is not leasing the aircraft direct from Air Luxor.

The ADF has contracted a QLD based company (whose name escapes me for the moment), who in turn has chartered the aircraft.

Magoo

J430
27th Sep 2005, 03:49
Magoo,

Can't help but have a gag.... QLD company....

Not Flukey Luke again is it???:p hehehe

J:ok:

Aussie
27th Sep 2005, 06:17
I was happy with my flight on it....havent seen decent women for months and then these portugese hosties.....cant complain!

Aussie

Capt Claret
27th Sep 2005, 07:30
Could the Brisvegas contractor be Adagold?

Point0Five
29th Sep 2005, 11:58
Baa-boh, survey says....

Not Adagold, something along the lines of Strategic Air perhaps?

AIRWAY
12th Oct 2005, 12:40
They have just rebranded themselves to "HiFly", they were getting confused heaps with Luxor Air.