PDA

View Full Version : Missing Space ?

Greek God
22nd Sep 2005, 21:05
Hello all knowledgeable ones
Perhaps someone can help me with a small problem I seem to have. I am using a Sony Vaio laptop with a 40GB HD which iI believe is partitioned 13GB/17GB with a further 7gb hidden system resore section. The C drive is the 13GB and is fairly full but the last time I checked it had about 3-4GB spare. I have been using the D partition as the main workhorse drive ie. that is where I load any new progs etc. However My "My Documents" folder was becoming quite large and so I moved it to the D drive. I now have an old folder on the D drive which I cannot delete - I keep getting the message that the folder is being used by another prog or access denied if I try to rename it but the folder is empty. I also tried to defrag the C drive but found that it only had 715mb spare space but when I looked at the properties of the folders in the C drive they added up to just over 8GB so there is about 4-5BG missing? Does anyone have any ideas please?
Thanks

Jhieminga
23rd Sep 2005, 07:03
Is the folder you cannot delete on the C or D drive? If on the C drive, and it's the old My Documents folder, then there's a fair chance that some program is still using that space as a storage location, and thereby preventing it from being deleted. How did you move the folder to D in the first place? Best method is to right-click on the 'my documents' icon on the desktop and check which folder it points to. If that still says C: then change this to the right location, and when windows ask you if you want to move everything over click 'yes'.

As for the missing space, do you have Norton Systemworks running? Or something similar which protects deleted files?

Greek God
23rd Sep 2005, 09:35
Hi Jh
No the folder that refuses to die is a sub folder which used to contain pictures. In an effort not to use space on the C drive I created a folder called xxxxx Documents (Backup) with all the sub folders you would normally find under the normal my documents folders. The one causing probs is D:\xxxxx Documents (Backup)\my photographs\Flying. As to changing the poistion of the main My Docs folder I just right clicked on it then properties and then clicked on move and rassigned the folder to D:\My Documents
Thanks for your time & help

Sorry those icons should of course be colon backslash !! They are now :)

Spitoon
24th Sep 2005, 20:29
The missing space needs a lot more thought and knowledge about your system but the undeletable folder is something I've come across before. It usually succumbs to a boot to DOS and 'manually' deleting with the RD command.