PDA

View Full Version : QF Career Structure

Double Asymmetric
22nd Sep 2005, 10:19
A couple of career structure questions for those QFers out there if I could take your time....

I understand that these days after starting out as an SO you must now transfer to short haul as an FO instead of (as some have done previously) stayed put in long haul - even if it meant staying as an SO.

If this is true, and you have to come across to SH, do you have to accept the first base that comes up? The reason I am asking is one of geography.

If you started in (say) SYD as an SO but were commuting from (say) BN, and your seniority came up and you were looking at upgrade to FO, if the spots open for upgrade were only available in (say) ML, do you have to take that upgrade, or is there scope to sit on your hands until a more geographically favourable upgrade came up ie in the city you and your family are settled in.

I probably just made this question more complicated than it needs to be but I'm sure you get the gist of it. Any answers gratefully received.

Back Seat Driver
22nd Sep 2005, 10:42
Q1. NO.. There is a restiction on vertical promotion on the 744 only.
Q2. You are able to bid for promotions in both LH & SH and for the basing of your choice. (other Than the 330 MEL basing all other LH fleets based in SYD)
PS. Some lucky people snag a BNE (SH) basing easily but generally it is a lot harder to get than either SYD/MEL (S/H).
PPS commuting option is a reasonable option