PDA

View Full Version : HELP with my chosen path

Trainee pilot Kitson
21st Sep 2005, 10:42
Hi guys and girls (if there are any girls that is)

Im off to L.A to do a 2 year internship to gain my fATPL with 2000 hrs Costing 30,000! At the end of it my conversion is also included! Once completed how do i go about getting a job with an airline and am i guaranteed a position or not

Any comments welcome

Thanks

darren

Deano777
21st Sep 2005, 10:51
How do you go about getting a job? well networking helps, also buying a bulk load of stamps and mailing out your CV helps as well, and as for guarantees of a job, the only thing guaranteed in this life are taxes & death

Trainee pilot Kitson
21st Sep 2005, 10:56
Thanks for the advice! Ive only flown 10 hours at the mo but i knew from the first moment that the instructer said" You have the controls" It was like all my worries in the whole world went out the window for that hour! Can any one tell me what its really like? Positive and negative please

Thanks

Deano777
21st Sep 2005, 11:05
Darren

Mate just concentrate on your course for the time being, and get to know as many people as possible (although being in the USA doesn't help your networking for jobs in the UK that well) the path ahead is long, and will take all your dedication, I am not an airline pilot yet, I'm taking my ATPL exams so I can't comment on what it is like "on the line", I'm sure some line pilots will post here and give you the heads up or if you can't wait do a search, there are plenty of posts on here. Try not to think too far ahead at this stage, I know what it's like to want it so much, and that the end result seems like a dream, take it one stage at a time and you'll be fine

Dean:ok:

Trainee pilot Kitson
21st Sep 2005, 11:12
thanks deano

Hows your course going and is it as hard as is made out to be? The good things is, i went in to the jewellers yesterday to buy myself a watch ( Citizen eco-drive skyhawk titanium £340) And i actually bumped into a guy who used to be a flight engineer for pan-am up until six months ago when he retired and he gave me his number and said " when you complete the course, give me a ring and i'll put in a good word for you at pan am and i'll see if they can get you a base in L.A" And as you can imagine i was over the moon! Your all thinking he was most probably a time waster but he actually showed me all his I,.D's and his Breitling watched he received as a bonus! So networking can happen in the most unlikely of places

Thanks deano