PDA

View Full Version : Silly Ex Scenarios

BigginAgain
21st Sep 2005, 09:42
Grumpy Old Git Mode - on.
Smelling of wee - check.

Am I the only one who is absolutely sick to the back teeth of increasingly complex yet totally irrelevant scenarios created for our exercises?

JMC is a good example where we are playing Brownlandia versus Greenia or some such, with interference from Mustardia etc. Now this is all complicated enough for those who know which side they are on, but for those of us playing Purple or White forces (and on some days Red and Blue separately against ourselves!) it has now got to the point where it is just a waste of time and simply look for who we happen to be fighting against for this serial.

Although I mention JMC as an example, it is not the only one. Our NATO exercises seem to suffer equally from an excess of political correctness that simply confuses most of those involved. The briefing cycle is short enough for those of us in the C2 world, I dread to think how much or little information our winged warriors go into pretend battle with!

I am sure we would have a lot clearer understanding of what we were trying to achieve if we simply played England v Scotland or UK v Belgium (but not UK v France, which is too close to reality for comfort!) or whatever, but what do I know.

So for those of you in Exercise Plans at HQs various, please heed this plea from the workers to at least try and bring a greater element of the 'real' into our exercises.

southside
21st Sep 2005, 10:19
Sorry fella / madam, I have to disagree. We have to ensure our traqining is as realistic as possible. England V's Scotland isnt realistic (as the Jocks don't have any Armed Forces- The Armed Forces are English - wait for it, two,three)

But I quite like the JMC's (except the winter one). Loads of flying in testing conditions and lots of socialz too - Fab !

FOMz
21st Sep 2005, 10:55
I'm not sure about the scenarios, but the names could be thought out a bit better. My daughter (age 6) could come up with something alot better. :rolleyes:

Come on exercise planners, pop down to stores, get a humourous imagination and use it!!! ;)

Don't get me wrong - I do love a good JMC :ok:

Widger
21st Sep 2005, 11:36
[QUOTE]But I quite like the JMC's (except the winter one). Loads of flying in testing conditions and lots of socialz too - Fab !

There we have it...the reality check...lots of socials on a JMC...not bl**dy stuck out in the minches, or off Cape Wrath you don't!

Maple 01
21st Sep 2005, 13:51
Try briefing the bloody things - I used to forgot whose side we were on in the JMC - nevermind the rest of the CRC.

Brownlandia, Mustardia, Emeraldia, Blue, red, white, purple take your pick Then Inner Coalition, Outer coalition...........

huge forkbender
21st Sep 2005, 14:03
[
Maple01

QUOTE]Try briefing the bloody things - I used to forgot whose side we were on in the JMC - nevermind the rest of the CRC[/QUOTE]

That's OK, the rest of the CRC never knew whose side you were on anyway!

Maple 01
21st Sep 2005, 19:55
The dark side.....:E

castle_view
21st Sep 2005, 20:31
Biggin,

Nothing so simple as colours nowadays, how about Egryptia and Librya, (both pronounced with a silent 'r'), and other such poorly thought up names.

And just to offend no-one, both the above two named countries were friendly, ........ I think javascript:smilie(':rolleyes:')

Oh how naive we all were when we were told earlier this year that we would not have to do such exercises if we did well in our operational evaluation. Two years ???? .... My a£$e

Pontius Navigator
21st Sep 2005, 20:50
BigginAgain,

No change there.

Many moons ago at ISK and later at a secret Linconshire fighter base, I used to brief about 3 or 4 different exercises one after the other: Wintex D-56, Ocean Safari D-20, JMC D- etc etc.

Really the whole int cr*p was just designed to load the comms system. Nobody actually understood it and the players never did what the scenario said.

As for which colour was friendly and which was enemy, did it matter to the MPA crews? Any submarine was fair game. If it was friendly we just declared in suffix Zulu, out of area and thus a target. If it was surfaced we claimed it did so just after we released the ASTI. No arguing about accuracy if you bounce it off the casing :D

Onan the Clumsy
21st Sep 2005, 21:15
with interference from Mustardia etc In fairness, that would be particularly useful if say Mustardia was armed with the lead pipe and the theatre included say...the library.

SirToppamHat
22nd Sep 2005, 15:29
It does bother me when I see one exercise after another being briefed with the whole room just going blank when the guy from Int comes in and puts something on the screen that looks like it was done by Rolf Harris on acid. I guess the point of the scenarios is to test the ability of the Int guys to brief and the operators to adapt to unfamiliar situations - just that in practice it doesn't work.

Incidentally, popped in to work today to cancel tomorrow's leave -file waiting for an Ex next week full of FLASH Int signals - now that can't be right can it?

STH

The Green Scopie
22nd Sep 2005, 15:45
You should see the new one NATO are using. Somebody has flooded the middle of Africa and there is huge sea there now. The country boundaries are all different and they are named after constellations. They then throw you a country book twice the size of MAFL. They have managed to cram in a bit of scenario from every conflict form the last 20 year. You are then given 2 minutes to inwardly digest the whole history of the area then go to your syndicate room ready for the next task. Only problem is the depth of background is about 1mm deep. Up shot is you can’t go to real world mapping to get stuff that is really in the weeds like air routes etc. Just because they don’t want to upset somebody like….ooo I don’t know Lybia!