PDA

View Full Version : IR Training at Leeds Flying School

muttley123
21st Sep 2005, 06:17
Morning All I would like to know if anyone has had recent experience of IR training at Leeds Flying School. I will shortly start the training somewhere within about 50 miles of Manchester and this is purely to add an MEP/IR to my PPL. Thanks in anticipation.

Regards Muttley123

jsf
21st Sep 2005, 10:02
I did my CPL, FI and IR at LFS and then worked for them as an instructor before moving to the airlines.

I would definitely recommend them. They are very friendly, helpful and they get the job done well.

jsf

duir
21st Sep 2005, 23:48
Did the IR with them a few months ago. First time pass in min hours. There are a few IR instructors. I mainly had Mike Dyson who was thoroughly excellent and a pleasure to fly with. P.M. me if you want any more info.

Maude Charlee
22nd Sep 2005, 16:12
Perfectly decent place to do the IR. Very small, friendly and informal outfit, with none of the BS that goes with the big FTOs. If you're serious about doing the IR there though, two words of caution;

1. The GA7 which they use has no icing protection, and therefore cannot fly in icing conditions, or forecast icing conditions. Given the location and the season, you will need to get a wriggle on to make sure you get it over and done with quick-smart, or there is liable to be a lot of weather watching.

2. The relaxed atmosphere unfortunately also extends to timekeeping. There is no sense of urgency about getting airborne and keeping IFR training slots, which for some bizarre reason LBA are really bad at issuing (something like one every 15 minutes for the NDB hold and only 1 a/c allowed in the hold!). This can extend training flights unneccessarily, and therefore the costs, if you are unlucky enough to hit one of LBA's little busy periods.

Other than that, very happy with my experience of the place.