PDA

View Full Version : Training in the US

Biggles_77
19th Sep 2005, 20:32
Hi,
I'm looking to complete my PPL in the States. I've read loads of comments about training in the states but it's difficult to make my mind up on one. I went to Cabair's site and it looks like they send there students out to Orlando Flight Training school. I've checked this site out and it looks really good and reputable, also checked out EFT which looks good.

I'm 27 now and its only now i'm financially secure i.e I have a decent job to fund my training.. I want to become a commercial pilot and will shortly apply for the FlyBe scheme (last year applied for CTC Cadet but got knocked back after 2nd stage)..
Anyway, If everything goes pear-shaped with FlyBe i'm determined to get my PPL and progress further somehow!!
Could any of you experienced guys (maybe who have trained in the states) provide recommendations/advice on the above schools and maybe provide pro's and con's on obtaining a PPL in the States ?

Farrell
19th Sep 2005, 20:34
Use the search function

Good luck with your training

Mr Blue Eyes
19th Sep 2005, 22:04
I trained at OFT. Its not owned by Cabair but the same bloke owns a share in OFT that owns Cabair. They do not send any of their students there. All flying done in Cranfield. Other than that, its pretty much one of the better JAA schools in Florida. The planes are a little knackered and a few have crashed over the last 6 months, but if you going just for PPL will be ok.
The problem with doing a PPL abroad is;
1. Its a lot of work for 3 weeks (try and get the exams out the way before you go, this means you will enjoy the experience & have free time....beer & Wing house!(age 21).
2. When you come home you will still need a few lessons to get used to flying in the UK, different proceedures, RT etc
3. If only allowing 3 weeks, remember that a few bad days will screw you up. 3 weeks is very tight.
4. What ever they promise you, remember one thing, they all just want your money!

But OFT has improved a lot, all down to one Piers Smerdon!

Biggles_77
20th Sep 2005, 09:46
Thanks for the reply Blue Eyes.

Is it possible to learn all subjects before going out there and also take the exams ?? or is this something you need to do whilst out there..

I'm also interested in Naples Flight Training Centre - anyone trained for their PPL in this school ? if so, do you have any comments about it ?

When I finish the PPL what would be the next step in my goal for airline pilot, would it be additional ratings such as night etc or should/could I proceed with ground school ?(or is this something at a later date?). I want to take the Modular route (or its a case i'm going to have to take the modular route!).

raceeend
20th Sep 2005, 11:16
I've been to both places, and had instruction at both places.

Want to do your PPL? Go to OFT! they do preflight briefings, and post flight briefings without charging you extra for it. NAC instructors put 0.2 hours for that.

At OFT you get free groundschool in the evenings, At NAC they wil rip you of $35 per hour per student even if you are with more than one student in the room getting lessons at the same time.

OFT's planes are realy a lot better, especialy the Warriors/Cadet's

And the OFT housing is REALY within walking distance! where as NAC housing is nice for a Kenian Marathon runner used to the heat and the distance.(and renting a bike at NAC is just as expensive as buying a new one @ wallmart)

Possitive thing about Naples is... you can go out on a fridaynight to 5th ave to Yabba's and Paddy Murphy's where as Kissimee has no place to see some nice girls (not Winghouse, you can see but not touch there :-)

For the quality if instruction, i don't think there is much difference between the 2.Both high turnover of young instructors. But OK for PPL.

And ...At the end of the day, at both places as everywhere...it's all about the $$$$$$$$ so NEVER PAY EVERYTHING UPFRONT!!!

And offcourse, it's all just my 2 cents!

Raceeend

Biggles_77
20th Sep 2005, 14:12
Thanks Raceend - thats helpful info..

I'm looking to take the PPL failry soon, need to save!!. The OFT school does look pretty good.

Can anyone answer my question as to whether you can take the PPL exams before you go out there?, or is this something you have to do whilst out there ?

Raceend (or anyone else who's been to the schools) - what was the procedure with payment ? - did you pay for everything whilst out there i.e when you got there or towards the end of the course ?.. Whats the best approach after getting a PPL to get fATPL ? Ground school next or other ratings ? I'm obviously looking to do it modular. Also how much did it cost you for your PPL ?? Thanks.

tunalic2
20th Sep 2005, 15:35
Try this

http://www.ipilot.com/learn/faa_exams.aspx

that might be of some help to you, I'm sure if you google search you can find more.

There are also places in the uk you can do the exams after you have practiced on the above

Enstone in oxfordshire has one school with the facility to test in the uk, there's another in the NE

hope this is of help, definitely a good idea to get the exam out of the way first if you can.

T2

Mr Blue Eyes
20th Sep 2005, 17:11
You will pay by the hour. They will normally want some money up front (if so expect a discount).The PPL is a minimum of 45 hours, you may well require more hours if you need extra training. You will also have to pay fuel surcharge etc per hour. You will also have 2 hours for your test and the CAA test fee. If you fail or get a partial pass there is another fee to pay and aircraft hire again.
Also PPL written exam fee's.

Also accomodation & flights & food etc. CAA licence issue fee's.

If you do your PPL in US, remember you will need a few hours in the UK to get up to speed. more fee's!

If you are going to get the fATPL, then I would advise doing your ATPL written exams after the PPL. The advantage of this is, it allows you to do your hour building just before you go onto do your CPL and IR, therefore you are current and can practise. Rather than doing your hour building and then sitting in a classroom for 6 months!

Don't forget your RT exam. If doing PPL in US, Its my opinion that you do this back in the UK with a good school. Oh yes, don't forget the RT fee & CAA issue fee.

Basically everything has a fee!! and normally a big one!

Also if going abroad to do a PPL check what the weather will be like when you are there! For a PPL allow no less than 4 weeks.

Enjoy it.

jimbo jet set
20th Sep 2005, 17:48
Biggles,
I did my PPL at Naples a couple of years ago and fully agree with whats been said about them. Richard (owner/manager of NAC) is a slimy moneygrabber but other than that quite pleasent if you keep him at arms length.

Nightlife at NAC is pretty good down on 5th (especially during spring break!!)

The quality of instruction at NAC is generally very good, however I suspect that its probably no better than OFT.

I STRONGLY advise you to do all of the writtens BEFORE you go out there. Getting them out the way means you can concentrate 100% on your practical flying, otherwise its too much to take in and the whole thing will turn into a complete chore. I went to my local flying club and they charged £20 per exam to sit me in a room to complete them.

One other thing to be wary of with NAC is the return of you're deposit. I know I'm not the only one to have had problems getting it back within a reasonable lenghth of time, or on other occaisions at all.

Best of luck,

Jimbo

Biggles_77
20th Sep 2005, 19:21
Thanks guys. So am I right in thinking that I can take the CAA PPL exams here in the UK ?(before going out there).. Then take the 45 hours or so flying out there. Do they issue you with a JAA PPL then ?.. You mention RT, is the radio work that much different out there ?

Can you recommend any good reading prior to taking the exams ? I have Trevor Thom principles of flight, but are there any others you could recommend ?.. Do you have to take the exams at a flying club/centre also ?

Just curious if you guys are commercial pilots also ?

Many thanks for the info..

Mr Blue Eyes
21st Sep 2005, 09:57
Give your local flying school a ring about taking the exams.

Books; I would recommend all the Trev Thom series, plus any diffuser (look up books at www.transair.co.uk etc or I could do you a nice little second hand discount fee if you Private email me.

If you learn rather than just try to pass the exams this will help when you 1. learn to fly 2. when you do your ATPL exams.

The PPL exams are easy multiple choice papers, you need 75% and get 3 attempts! (Fee each attempt). Keep a copy of your results etc cos the CAA need confirmation and so does the PPL flight examiner!

No you do not get issued a PPL there and then. You have to apply to the CAA for it, it costs another fee and it only becomes a valid PPL when you have the hard copy & it is signed by you!

wangus
21st Sep 2005, 12:01
There are pros and cons out there. I briefly attended NAC Naples 2 years ago and it was the most cowboy outfit I have ever encountered. They were prepared to send me solo after a week. The school then temporarily closed over an insurance matter. I returned to UK and commenced training at an RAF flying club. The difference in safety attitudes and thoroughness is truly frightnening. If you want a quick PPL and cloudless skies great, go toStates. When I was there, the sight of one or two cumulus cloud meant "terrible" weather in their eyes. If you can afford it train here, as this is where you'll fly. As somebody else mentionned, the US schools are certainly a business, and not doing it out of goodness of their hearts.
AND!!! Many schools charge and extra 10 dollars + an hour insurance which they don't mention until you are sat opposite them. Otherwise, they casually mention you are liable for whole cost of A/C should you damage.

Kingron
25th Oct 2005, 20:03
I went to NAC last May for a month. Had a wonderful time, met some great people. I wish I was back there. I note the comments made about these US schools being all about the money - but remember they are run as businesses to make money. If they made a loss they would not be there for long!

Anyway so if you are going to Naples I am sure you will have a great time. I just hope its still their after this hurricane season!

strafer
26th Oct 2005, 09:10
Wangus - where to start?
They were prepared to send me solo after a week I did an intensive course in Florida and most people solo'd on about the 5th day.
If you want a quick PPL and cloudless skies great, go toStates Have you been watching the weather recently? For every hurricane that makes the news, there are a hundred tropical storms that don't. Wx awareness is very important in Florida.
the sight of one or two cumulus cloud meant "terrible" weather in their eyes You obviously didn't understand. Big, nasty CBs can form very quickly in the Floridian afternoon and will quite easily kill an inexperienced pilot such as yourself if you go anywhere near them. Perhaps they did know more than you thought.

philip2004uk
26th Oct 2005, 19:21
Hi, if i got an faa ppl or cpl how much approx is it in total to convert back to j.a.a.?

tittybar
26th Oct 2005, 19:30
Why bother with FAA licences when you could do away with the extra grief and rip off cost by doing a JAA course at one of the several schools in Florida/California?. Idid a JAA PPL in Florida last month having done about 10hrs at a UK school before seeing the light and saving a fortune.

Alexander H.
27th Oct 2005, 20:18
I'm soon about to start at Phoenix East, FL. I heard good rumours about this school. I'm wondering if prepayment is common in all US schools? This worry me a little bit!

Suggestions comments?

porridge
27th Oct 2005, 21:33
Rule One in aviation:
1. Never, never, repeat never, pay for anything to do with flight training up front. A small deposit maybe, say 500 USD, but then pay as you go.
Too many people have made a few very, very well-off with this scam!

Frank Furillo
28th Oct 2005, 09:55
Philip20004uk,
I did my FAA PPL in 2003. It includes a Night Rating, you need that for a JAA CPL.
I assume you are doing this as part of training towards a JAA fATPL. I hour built in the US at the same time and then after 100 hours total time, I took Air Law, Human Performance and RT exams then took a conversion flight it cost me $300. I now have both a FAA and a JAA PPL and i now have a fATPL.

A friend of mine however did this. He took his FAA PPL, then his ground school and hour building, got his JAA CPL then ME and IR. You only need a ICAO License for CPL issue and unless you are planning to fly here while doing your groundschool, the FAA route seems cheaper and the easier option, less exams. You will need to take your RT exam at some point.
FF