PDA

View Full Version : Modular over Intergrated

davepearsall
19th Sep 2005, 11:12
Sometime in the future I will be apply for the OAT intergrated course.

After browsing a lot of the threads of the site I have come to notice the amount of people who have opted for the modular route. Is this through choice or have you been forced to?

I can't understand why anyone would want to go for the modular route. Is it due to the bank not giving you the loan? If you didn't manage to get onto the integrated did you then opt to do it the modular route? How far are you and how long has it taken you?

Megaton
19th Sep 2005, 11:20
OK - I'll bite. :) Not being accepted for integrated has got nothing to do with the decision for most people. For many people who are working they cannot take 12-18 months off unpaid to undertake an integrated course. Modular courses are more flexible and, of course, much cheaper so you can pick and choose when to do each element. Furthermore, the ability to select a school for each licence and rating means that you can shop around a bit more rather than be stuck with Cabair or OATS.

There are some quite excellent modular schools around who will provide a very high standard of training at a fraction of the price of an integrated course.

FliegerTiger
19th Sep 2005, 11:34
Exactly the same for me, passed APP selection, couldn't afford to go Integrated. Completed all training the Modular route in 18 months, first time passes in all ground exams and flight tests.

FT

Send Clowns
19th Sep 2005, 12:07
Dave

Unless you are working for an integrated school, as I am I admit for a modular school I cannot see why you have written what you have. I sat a modular course, having been offered and being able to afford integrated training. I cannot see any reason why someone would take integrated training, and pay more for less flying over a similar period of time to achieve the same (I also took my course full-time, and all delays would have equally affected integrated training). However I accept that some will.

I came out with the same licence as you will. Unless you get one of the very few jobs that are only available through direct contact with the schools (and many of us modulars have our contacts too) then you are better serve by the extra hours of a modular cchool than you are by the method of training, which potential employers willprobably not know. The only reason that integrated training is better for job prospects seems to be that the schools that offer both courses have been said to give preference to integrated graduates for those few recommendations they are asked to give - a recent and not entirely successful phenomenon. If they do then I suspect their motives; their modular students are not worse pilots unless the school has deliberately trained them less well, so why is that the case? Are they doing so just to sell the more expensive course?

In recent times a few airlines have had serious problems with students recommended by certain schools after training at various levels (fATPL (modular and integrated) or type rating). I anticipate that school recommendation will become even less important in airline recruitment, unless the school seriously improve procedures, including which course recommended students have completed.

GusHoneybun
19th Sep 2005, 12:09
If you can't understand why people go for modular over integrated you obviously have more money than sense.
Let me spell it out for you....

It costs 20,000 pounds less to complete a modular course rather than an integrated course.

If you do go integrated you are basically gambling 20000 pounds against the marketing paap that makes you believe that you will walk into the right hand seat of a nice shiny jet at the end of your training. Not many do.

Oh, and the licence is the same colour regardless of where you train.

Caveat Emperor :\

davepearsall
19th Sep 2005, 12:58
ooops seem to have offended a few people!! Sorry but this was not my intention at all.

Just wanted to here so pro's for the modular route, and now I have heard some, thanks!!

I didn't realise that doing it modular you could complete it so quickly. I would have thought you would have basically done a module and gone away for a good few months and earnt the money for the next one.

As for I must have more money than to know what to do with, infact it is quite the opposite. Thats why I would opt for the integrated as if I went modular I basically would be working months and months in between modules to be able to afford it.

Thanks for the input though. Got a much more clear view for the module route and sorry for any offence, was not intended.

mad_jock
19th Sep 2005, 13:57
I did modular as well and glad that I did.

I spent 35k on training a saving over the intergrated which can be counted in cars and bits of houses.

Modular you can stay working up until IR training and some even mange to do that part time which i wouldn't fancy.

I got my PPL in Sept 2000 and started the distance learning the month after getting back. And finished with a CPL/IR/FI in April 2002 working up until Dec 2001.

So not only is the training cheaper but when also the lost earnings are taken into account (even Burger King levels of earnings) You are paying through the nose for intergrated for not much extra.

Your CPL/IR is the same either method.

And personally i think is criminal that any bank will let someone take on that level of debt to fund a Intergrated course with the Industry being that unstable even in a good period.

MJ

Send Clowns
19th Sep 2005, 16:16
No offense from you, Dave, at all. I just get a bit carried away with opposition to the publicity put out by certain competitors!

Don't forget to look at the idea of using money saved by going modular for an instructor rating (as I did, and it has now put me ina position to be offered a light charter job), a JOC or even a type rating.

However you do it, best of luck!

davepearsall
19th Sep 2005, 16:19
yeah thanks.

Now with the knowledge of the modular route I've taken a step back and may have to have a re-think of which route would be the best for me.

I won't be taking either route for at least another 2 years so I still have plenty of time to make my mind up :p

What's a Girdler
19th Sep 2005, 17:48
congratulations Clowns does that mean you're leaving BCFT?

judojamesg
19th Sep 2005, 17:50
Hi guys,

Where did you modular people train?

And how did you fund it?

Very good points here by the way!

Megaton
19th Sep 2005, 18:49
PPL at Humberside, exams with Bristol Ground School, CPL at EFT in Florida, IR conversion at Atlantic, Coventry. Turboprop FO but starting soon with BA on A320

ChocksAwayUK
19th Sep 2005, 19:15
PPL at Humberside, exams with Bristol Ground School, CPL at EFT in Florida, IR conversion at Atlantic, Coventry. Turboprop FO but starting soon with BA on A320.

You are? Nice to see someone who's a year or so ahead of me in training terms (and a couple more in life terms ;) ) doing well for himself.. well done!

Personally, i've recently passed CPL with Stapleford and am currently tackling the IR. Can find very little fault with the place and wholeheartedly recommend to anyone in the London/SouthEast area. ATPl theory with Bristol and PPL at your local airfield (in my case Denham.. nice friendly place). Funding: combo of loan and saving through work.

davepearsall
19th Sep 2005, 19:39
Just reading through the OAT skills directory 2005 it says I quote:

"Whilst the modular route may be less expensive than Integrated training, some airlines may not recruit students who have studied in this way. Much will depend upon your training record, together with the known quality and established reputation of the FTO you use. Therefore if you do elect to follow the modular route, it is advisable to use the same training organisation to ensure consistancy of training and accurate recording of your achievements."

Would OAT still use their careers advise centre place to try and help you look for jobs and interviews once you have passed your finals. Are they trying to put you off the modular so that you folk out more for the integrated? Has anyone who has done the modular route had anymore trouble getting a job than someone who has passed via the integrated route?

dlav
19th Sep 2005, 21:41
Dave, I think there was quite a few posts about that on Oxford's own website forum. Would definately recommend you take a look.

www.oxfordaviation.net

Hope this helps

mad_jock
19th Sep 2005, 23:08
Please please ignore any advice given on Commercial websites concerning training when the said provider is providing the training.

Do you really think OAT/Cabair.. etc are going to say.

We have a great product here that would have got you a job 10 years ago but now unfortunatly due to JAR isn't worth a **** apart from 6 companys who we have wined and feed for the last 6 years just to get them to put "intergrated" in there HR crap. (But truth be know even though they say in the adverts Intergrated only the bastards still keep on taking modular)

The Fact that the HR dept don't have a bloody clue what the difference is.....

Get a grip these Intergrated comapanys have had the arse ripped out of them. They have very old fleets which is very expensive to fix which then coupled with a huge overhead in engineering support. Equals a not to clever outlook in the long term. Especially when all us mod types keep on getting jobs thus stopping intergrating types getting the jobs which they deserve and have payed for.

MJ

Send Clowns
20th Sep 2005, 14:43
Thanks Girdler! Hoping to keep working here 2 days a week, about 3 flights a week, which is average for that company. Another of our recent students has been offered the same job, which will be great (although as a youngster he's had 3 other interviews too, so he might not take that one).

Lots of movement, jobs around!

stue
20th Sep 2005, 16:48
soooooooooo??

does anyone actualy have anything good to say about intergrated? i dont think that i have ever heard anything good about it, ther has got to be something!! (hasnt ther??)

:confused:

mad_jock
20th Sep 2005, 18:21
If cash is not an issue.

It gives steady supervised studing in a controlled enviroment.

All the flying is again controlled with good standisation between instructors.

If your in the top 10 out of 30 you may be put forward to an airline.

Its horses for courses you pay your money and you get the product. The fact that its the same end product as you can get else where. It is up to you and how much value added for you the totally controlled learning enviroment is.

But in the end you get the same Blue book but with about 70 hours less than a modular person and also i think you get an exception from the MCC but I am not sure about that.

Malcolm G O Payne
20th Sep 2005, 18:55
About six years ago I was short course (modular) co-ordinator at one of the professional schools. Work that I enjoyed very much at the end of nearly fifty years of flying. To the best of my knowledge no modular trainee was unsuccessful in getting employment, although it might take a little while , depending on the state of the industry.