PDA

View Full Version : Where can I do ATPL and IREX by correspondence?

flying_flick
19th Sep 2005, 09:11
Hey everyone,

Just wondering firstly if I should try and do my ATPLs and IREX by correspondence or teach myself using syllabus and a text book (similar to the teaching of some schools)?

I am planning on travelling around Australia trying to get a job next year. This means doing my ATPLs at one flying school will be impossible. So what are some good Flying Schools, TAFEs, Unis etc that can allow you to do ATPLs by correspondence and how do they work?

I will be able to complete IREX in Sydney, so what would be a good school to do this through or should I just do that by correspondence as well?

Thank you to all who help,

Flick
:ok: :ok:

Stiff Under Carriage
19th Sep 2005, 09:31
Two words mate.

NATHAN HIGGINS

He is from Advanced Flight Theory in Maroochydore.

He is no doubtably the best when it comes to ATPL's. Will send you out the course as you complete it for a bargin price. Back when I did it in 2000 cost $1800ish (I think), however you will have to study hard, depends to, how long you want to take to knock them off though. It took me 7 months to do all of them but it was almost full-time study even if working in a full-time job as I was. Ie, 5pm - 10pm most nights and a good 50% of the day on days off. But I highly recommend him.

Ph: (07) 5448 7770

As for IREX, got no idea.

Best of Luck :ok:

propwash85
19th Sep 2005, 14:55
gday,

As for ATPL i agree with Stiff Under Carriage. Nathan is great!

As for IREX, i suggest buying the bob tait irex book and self study. Book is really easy to study and will get you through the exam.

Cheers. :ok:

9Ws
19th Sep 2005, 18:12
Don't waste your time looking anywhere else....

You now know where to do your ATPLs.... with NATHAN HIGGINS at AFT and no where else.... full time OR correspondence.

Now that you know not to look anywhere else.... get cracking with it.... www.aft.com.au

:ok:

flying_flick
20th Sep 2005, 09:32
Seems as if Mr Higgins is the way to go. Thanks to those who reccommend him as AFT looks pretty good. Anyone else got any input on this subject?

100% Ng
20th Sep 2005, 09:49
I would recommend Avfacts. I did all my ATPL's with them and had no problems at all. I did a couple of subjects using there online service but now regret not actually having the training manuals now to reference for airline interviews. If you do it by correspondnce make sure you get a hardcopy of the training manuals for future reference. Don't think that you never need them again, because you will.

www.aviationshop.com.au/avfacts/

Tagneah
20th Sep 2005, 09:59
For a full time course Len Sales is great too. Don't know where he is now or even if he is still doing the course. Last I heard he was at Uni of Western Sydney.

Remember the Schuftie's when working out PNR's!

Tag

CaptainToBe
20th Sep 2005, 14:30
I have used both Nathan Higgins (www.aft.com.au) and Gavin Secombe (www.atpl.com.au) and both are great. Good luck with it!

Killer Loop
21st Sep 2005, 09:16
Gavin Secombe especially for correspondence as he really makes flight planning straight forward.

flying_flick
15th Oct 2005, 05:52
Thanks to all who answered as I am more than likely doing my ATPLs through Nathan at AFT!

Just in relation to the second part of my question, what should I do about IREX? propwash85 recommended self study from Bob Tait book. Is this the easiest way?
:confused:

Trav737-400
15th Oct 2005, 08:29
I used the Bob Tait IREX book for the exam it was a very good study resource. Clear, simple, well set out and thus easy to understand. Go and grab a practice exam CD for it, you can buy it of his website. Good luck.

4Greens
15th Oct 2005, 10:33
Len Sales is at UNSW Bankstown. He still runs courses and is still the best. He does anyone who signs up! Check the UNSW website.

CaptainToBe
17th Oct 2005, 00:20
Gavin Secombe especially for correspondence as he really makes flight planning straight forward.

I ended up doing Flight Planning with Nathan Higgins. Passed first attempt, everything was straight forward. I have a friend that is doing flight planning with Gavin Secombe at the moment and he told me the different ways in which he teaches for the different questions etc and it seems way more difficult and half ass backwards than the Higgins course.

The courses I did with Gavin were good, but if I had to do them all again I would definitely go with Nathan Higgins, hands down.