PDA

View Full Version : Uneventful Wheels Up Landing.

Sunfish
17th Sep 2005, 23:25
Well done and congratulations on a very neatly executed wheels-up landing by the pilot of a Beechcraft Sierra at 8.00AM at YMMB.

Left main wouldn't extend. Everything was apparently tried twice or three times, engineers consulted and so on.

The gentleman concerned sounded highly professional and there was no panic.

There was a round of applause from the onlookers for a job very well done. It looked like he may even have saved the prop.

The Bullwinkle
18th Sep 2005, 06:43
Uneventful Wheels Up Landing.That's an oxymoron if ever I've heard one. :p

jamec
18th Sep 2005, 08:08
I can't see the problem raised by the previous poster " +4G, but the aircraft is rated for +6.5G" perhaps I need to be re- educated.:confused:

Bevan666
18th Sep 2005, 08:57
I myself would be very suprised if a Beech Sierra's wings are actually rated to +6.5G. More like +4.4G....
:rolleyes:

Bevan..

gaunty
18th Sep 2005, 09:42
That's a Sundowner with retractable gear??

Good grief.

If it's the same springloaded contraption they have on the Duchess why should you be surprised.

+6.5G Hmmmm don't think so, but if someone can show me the POH numbers then maybe.

The thing was way too heavy in the first place?

"pilots pulls 4G" :mad: :rolleyes: think he must have had brain fart whilst doing so, will someone please take him round the back of the bike shed and explain the facts of life to him, before he kills some innocent passenger.

Apart from the structural issues unless he was very fit and trained for Hi G +4G is getting up there. Unless he had an accelerometer on the panel I suspect it just felt like it, on the other hand he may have pulled more. :{ Structural and rigging check on the MR please.:\:uhoh:

Centaurus you're down that way. :ok:

sir.pratt
18th Sep 2005, 10:12
Just how many times has 'pulling g' unlatched a jammed landing gear? Good grief - if the gear just fell out of the aeorplane every time '4'g was pulled, I'd hate to fly in one through a storm.

Just retract the gear, find the longest sealed runway you can, turn it into a glider, and do one of those perfect glide approaches that you learnt to do all those years ago :)

Sunfish
19th Sep 2005, 00:07
Rod, not hearsay, I watched the whole depressing thing. I think it was the left main. From where I was standing it looked as if the prop was OK. This morning's paper shows it wasn't.

Glad that the pilot did such a good job. He sounded more concerned about his insurance premiums than the landing. Bet he was wishing he was down there with us looking up there instead of vice versa. I was being flippant (being a fish) when I used the term "uneventful", I definitely do not ever want to share that pilots experience.

gaunty
19th Sep 2005, 01:53
Sunfish

A general observation if I may.

One can only wonder what the number of fatalities and injuries is that can be attributed to the concerned about his insurance premiums mindset that appears to emerge in these situations.

Its been said many many times here that the moment such a situation develops the insurance company becomes the owner of the aircraft.

Certainly follow through on the checks and by all means talk to the engineers on the ground should you have the opportunity to do so.

Any aerobatic or Hi G antics beyond the manouevres contained in the POH will not achieve anything beyond increasing the already high level of angst and risk.

The actuarial calculations surrounding the construction of the insurance premium do not include the application of heroics on behalf of the insurers and most probably include a negative for it based on the historical results included.

As another wise old bird says, concentrate on flying the aircraft with everything you've got going, right through to a standstill or as he quaintly put it, "until all the noise, dust and sh!t stops happening."

You will that way most likely do a better job for the insurance comany.

They only have a wingtip, engine and prop repair.
The alternative for them should he have pulled the wings off, would have been total loss, passenger liabilities and whatever damage was done to the unfortunates unlucky enough to be standing underneath.

If I was the underwriter, I would most likely be tempted to increase the premium, not for the loss of no claim, but for the risk he might pull the same stunt next time.

It's not something you want to have to do, but, if you have to do it, it's no big deal if calm and considered actions prevail, especially when you have the time and all that runway and clear space around you.
It's not the speed its the sudden stop that kills you.

Properly handled under those circumstances it's hardly worth page 62 certainly not Page 1 "hero pilot averts airport disaster" and the Channel Nine News.

karrank
20th Sep 2005, 00:52
I think he did try to 'turn it into a glider'. It looked like the revs dropped off on short final but the prop was still windmilling when the fire tanker drove in front of the camera:8

Prop tips were folded back when it stopped. Looked more like a Bonanza to me.

Only two things wrong with the story I saw was a reference to the pilot taking 'evasive action':confused: and treating it as a news story of any significance. More peril and danger to occupants & public from a taxi's blowout on the freeway.