PDA

View Full Version : Comms

VC10 Rib22
17th Sep 2005, 20:30
Feedback question.

SSR transponder on, ATSU message "verify your flight level" would be made to:

(a) check your altimeter

or

(b) check and confirm the accuracy of the Mode C level info displayed to the controller.

I disagree with the answer I've been given.

Anyone care to give a definitive answer ?

Thanks!

VC10 Rib22 ( who looks forward with anticipation to Saturday nights not spent studying)

apoball
18th Sep 2005, 11:39
I've seen the question before and, I believe, the answer they're after is 'b'. If its any consolation I think the wording is more definite in the question bank used by the CAA.

Something like: What is the purpose of a request from an ATSU to 'verify your FL'?

a) Check the accuracy of the Mode C readout displayed to the Controller,

b) Confirm accuracy of altimeter.

If you think that this question is ambiguous then you'll enjoy the HP and L exam...

Good Luck

VC10 Rib22
20th Sep 2005, 13:57
apoball,

I agree with you, but my feedback gives the other answer. As you said, HP and L gives similar dilemmas, but if I could repeat what I got in HP and L, I'd run naked around my flight school.

Cheers,

VC10 Rib22

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Sep 2005, 06:59
Check you have the correct QNH/QNE dialled into the altimeter, the level is being maintained correctly and make sure you're squawking mode C.

Sounds like "both", but primary would be to check you're at the correct level/altitude.

BEagle
22nd Sep 2005, 09:08
From CAP413:

"Check altimeter setting and confirm (level)": Check pressure setting and confirm your level.

"Confirm (level)": Check and confirm your level is 200 feet or less from that reported by the controller.*

*Used to verify the accuracy of the Mode C derived level information displayed to the controller.

'Verify' is not an approved term. Sounds like a poor question to me!

BillieBob
22nd Sep 2005, 12:00
The JAA Comms exam does not examine UK RTF phraseology and so CAP413 is not relevant. However, from ICAO Doc 9432 - Manual of Radiotelephony, para 6.5.1:

*VERIFY LEVEL - Check and confirm your level

* Used to verify the accuracy of the Mode C derived level information displayed to the controller.

The correct answer is clearly (b)

VC10 Rib22
25th Sep 2005, 00:19
BillieBob,

I was under the impression that modern technology would enable the transponder to be both accurate and reliable, as opposed to good old human error (mis-setting of the altimeter), so it would be the human aspect under scrutiny. Perhaps I am giving transponders too much credit.

pipergirl
25th Sep 2005, 10:46
( who looks forward with anticipation to Saturday nights not spent studying)

the day will come, not soon perhaps, but it will come...
Keep at it and good luck:ok:

VC10 Rib22
27th Sep 2005, 18:26
Pipergirl,

I thank you for your kind words.

VC10 Rib22
14th Oct 2005, 13:02
Can anyone provide a link to ICAO Doc 9432 - Manual of Radiotelephony?

As the JAR exams are based on this document I would prefer to use it for reference instead of CAP413.

Thanks!

VC10 Rib22

:ok: