PDA

View Full Version : Manston

BackSeatPF
17th Sep 2005, 19:05
Could anyone please give me an idea of when would be a good time to show up at Manston (Kent) in order to see or photograph exotic/rare/preferably Easterm Bloc or African Freighters? Looking at others' pics is :) but seeing some "live" would be :D :D . Thanks very much in adavance:ok:

r3500vdp
17th Sep 2005, 22:43
Unfortunately, there is little going on at Manston currently.

Only aircraft present I believe are the stored MK Airlines DC-8 (9G-MKA), missing 3 engines and hard to get a picture of since it has been moved, the Boeing 747-200 ex. Air Bangladesh (S2-ADT), a DC-8, ex. Cargo Lion (LX-TLB) missing all it's engines and a Boeing 747-200 (N218BA).

However still nice to get a shot of the above aircraft and the Manston airport museum down the road is really excellent and deserves support.

By the way does anybody know if with the temporary shutdownof the Airport, Air Atlanta Icelandic has moved or do they still do their maintenance?

Boss Raptor
18th Sep 2005, 08:06
Some movements but not a lot even prior to the shutdown - the Eastern Bloc aircraft havent been coming for a few years now since the European Stage 3 implementation which rules out the IL76 (except in new fan form)

A lot of the African carriers are having probs with the new EU insurance requirements, not that they cant pay for it but they just cant get the insurance cover in the market apparently - MK had a row with Planestation and although coming in occasionally appear to have moved most of their work away and of course have parking and a hanger now at Filton

Air Atlanta used to use MSE for storage, short term parking and line maintenance etc. however now have a sizeable hanger at Shannon which also does third party heavy maintenance

Hotel Tango
18th Sep 2005, 10:30
Surprised that an educated man like you Boss Raptor spelled hangar with an "e". :E

:uhoh: diving for cover!!

fj1
19th Sep 2005, 18:05
BackSeatPF,

I suggest you join the Kent yahoo group covering manston for the "heads-up".

On thursday you missed 2 * DC-8, 2 * VC10 and a An-12.

An-12s are the most common "Russian aircraft" now, the IL-76s only appear for aid flights.

The week before a Johnson's DC-8 arrived, a new operator for Manston !

VP8
19th Sep 2005, 20:39
How long before the Jonno Diesel8 is banned from UK airspace ala Belguim??

VEEPS