PDA

View Full Version : Cross Over Cable

Pack2
16th Sep 2005, 22:39
I have been running Flight Sim 2004 on my laptop and now have a Tower PC.
Have been told that after loading Fsim 2004 on my new PC that I can connect both computers with a cross over cable and then drag and drop all my Sim folders to the new PC.

Will some one please explain the process as I am a little lost here.
Thanks

Conan the Librarian
17th Sep 2005, 00:08
Think what you may be after, is called a "Null" cable or similar Goes serial out/serial in but one pair is crossed. Just tell your comp shop what you want to do and with luck, you will see a little speech bubble appear above their heads with a light bulb inside it.

Long, long time since I have done anything with one of those...

Conan

BEagle
17th Sep 2005, 06:02
I transferred all my files from my dying Latitude LT to my Latitude X400 with a cross-over cable....

It took all day and most of the night.

A USB stick is much easier - and quicker!

Avtrician
17th Sep 2005, 07:51
I think you are refering to a network Xover cable. If you have network cards in both machine, then with a bit of tinkering and a network Xover cable you will be able to transfer the files between machines.

Using a serial nul modem cable will work as well, but will be very slow.

zoink
17th Sep 2005, 11:37
To connect 2 pcs via crossover cable

Link the network cards on the pcs via the cable

On each pc give it an ip address within the same subnet

i.e
PC1 (laptop) 192.168.1.1
PC2 (tower)192.168.1.2

Now to browse the tower pc from the latpop pc

Goto Start > Run and type "\\192.168.1.2\C$"
C$ is the C drive share
D$ would be the D drive share if you had a D driver and so on and so on!! ;)

This may ask you for a password. If it does just put the adminstrators username & password and you should be able to browse

Drop me a line if you have any problems

Some more information
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-crossover.asp

ZH875
17th Sep 2005, 11:57
There is also a serial cross over cable in which teh TX and RX lines are swapped over.

And don't forget the USB-USB cable, which allows data to be transferred via the USB ports.

Jet II
17th Sep 2005, 16:55
If both PC's have network RJ45 connectors, then you can connect both PC's with a Cat 5 ethernet crossover cable (costs about £2.50 on ebay).

If you are using a fairly recent Windows (or even Linux) system then using Network wizard the system should set itself up and connect both your PC's.

I recently set used a crossover cable to connect a laptop running Linux and Windows ME with a Desktop running XP Pro - Network Wizard set itself up in about 3 minutes without me having to set any parameters.

Speed is the same as normal networking speed for file movements

Pack2
18th Sep 2005, 08:08
Thank you all very much for your advise. Just got back to my computer but have to rush off again.
I look forward to reviewing all your replies when I get a break
Thanks again

Buttino
18th Sep 2005, 16:58
Please shoot me down if I'm wrong here, but are you wanting to run FS2004 on the tower computer? If so then I don't think it will work. The program does install settings within the registry which won't be moved with the copy, also any flight plans are saved within the My Documents folder.

spannersatcx
18th Sep 2005, 18:00
Buttino, consider yourself shot
after loading Fsim 2004 on my new PC....drag and drop all my Sim folders to the new PC
After installing it on the new pc I think(?) Pack2 wants to transfer files and folders that contains things like additional add on a/c etc that have been download etc, but then again Please shoot me down if I'm wrong here as well:ok:

Conan the Librarian
21st Sep 2005, 22:28
A daft thought crosses my feeble mind - but nothing new there... With all of the free webspace that people throw at you these days, why not uplift the folders to such a space and then download them again to your new installation?

Saves you from getting up and going to town to find such a beast as a crossover/null modem. Incidentally, I almost tripped (groan) over one in the Maplins crap trap the other day. Was under two quid.

Conan