PDA

View Full Version : Jet Star F/O salery

c560xl
16th Sep 2005, 21:41
D,day Every one.

Very simple question does any body knows how much Jet Star A320 pilot takes home after tax.

Ur info will be highly appreciated

Br.Muzzy
16th Sep 2005, 23:24
You get paid enough to buy celery, or is it salery?

bbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

RaTa
16th Sep 2005, 23:54
I've heard a year or so ago that the gross was about $75K a year.

ITCZ
17th Sep 2005, 01:14
Don't rely on a 'take home' pay answer, everybodys personal situation is different. Get the salary and then go to the ATO site to work out what you would take home.

I replied to a previous thread asking this question, take a look at how much for a 737 or A320 type rating (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176232&perpage=15&pagenumber=2)

If you don't have an A320 rating, divide the 34k for the rating over 3 years to get $11k per year off your $73.2k salary. Call it $62k taxable.

Put that into the ATO Simple Tax Calculator (http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/ASP/SimpleTaxCalc/main.asp) and the tax on $62k is $15k. So $45k take home without figuring in medicare levies, HECS or other loans, etc etc.

A new eba was voted in last month, so a few more bells and whistles and a little bit more cash than $73,200 I was told.

Could you buy a house in Sydney with that money? Or even a decent family house in Hobart or Cairns for that matter? One where your commute to work was less than 45 min from your front door to crew room?

Sandy Freckle
17th Sep 2005, 02:33
With spelling and grammar as woeful as yours C560, you should fit right in as a Jetstar pilot.

blueloo
17th Sep 2005, 05:22
dont you get $30,000 on the dole without any tax? what does $72k equate to after tax.

golow
17th Sep 2005, 05:28
About $73200 with a bonus of about $4000 a year. Flew with an FO who works on days off in a car wash at $17 an hour, told me a dash 8 pilot works there too.
Centrelink seem to support a few pilots with families. With the wages so low its nice to know that AJ got 1.42 mill and $100000 bonus for starting the airline. A one man airline.

ITCZ
17th Sep 2005, 13:07
I can see that it is easier for some of you guys to slag off at other pilots than it is to read all of a post.

I'll try again.

A really rough figure that you can count on taking home after salary sacrificing an A320 endo and PAYE tax is....

$45,000 per annum, or
$3,750 per month, or
$1,730 per fortnight, or
$865 per week.

After tax very rough after tax very rough after tax very rough after tax (for those who don't read all of a post before launching into their answer).

Something to also think about before you stampede into paying for your A320......

More than one pilot has jumped through the hoops of Jetstar recruitment, resigned their old job, passed and paid for the psych, flew to and supported themselves in Brisbane for 5 weeks with no income, passed the Alteon type rating but FAILED the Jetstar assessment.

Out on the street, old job gone, 5 weeks of accommodation to pay for, and a $34,000 bill from Alteon that needs to be paid, for an aeroplane that no other australian operator will hire you on. You might, MIGHT be able to go overseas and mitigate your expense.

What a great way to treat people.

Be better off buying a lawnmowing franchise. You would make better money and you would at least get the chance to do the job, earn some money to pay back the bank or have something to sell if you didn't like it........

Blue-Footed Boobie
17th Sep 2005, 18:19
ITZ,

Excellent post. You sum up the tone of aviaition in Australia very nicely.

Pilots spitting for a rating, no guarranteed job at the end, you could be chopped for any pathetic reason like unknownly upsetting the TRE with your accent., last minute fleet/pilot requirements since being hired, whatever, lumbered with a rating and another huge debt.

And pilots looking for handouts or doing part-time jobs do keep solvent.

The pilot massive in Australia seriously need to get some representation and yet again decline the offer to provide your own type rating.

BFB

Enema Bandit's Dad
17th Sep 2005, 20:53
So it looks like they are being paid half of what they should be and being abused in the process.

rescue 1
17th Sep 2005, 21:20
ITCZ - I had heard that Salary Sacrifice [for the rating] is no longer an option?

Are your figures the new EBA? There was early discussion to suggest that a three tier band for FO's being introduced - 55%, 60%, 65%?

ITCZ
18th Sep 2005, 05:32
rescue 1, I don't know if that has changed. I heard the salary and conditions offer direct from the horses mouth (no offence) about 6 months ago. Salary sacrifice was an option if I took on the job and was successful.

As for EBA questions, I am not a JQ pilot but I do know that their new EBA was voted in only last month. It should be certified soon and available for all to view on www.wagenet.gov.au

bfb, I am not suggesting that Jetstar checkies are capricious, nor do I suggest that Alteon trainers are less than diligent. Looking at the names in both camps, you see some very experienced people. Some very highly regarded individuals in fact, that take their role seriously.

So that isn't the problem.

It is a problem of structure. When you have never flown a jet, you need to be within a check and training framework. You literally do not know what you don't know. Doesn't matter how many times you read HTBJ. You need guidance. Not everybody will 'get it' within the time allocated.

What we are seeing is economic rationalism, gone irrational! The aspiring jet pilot will back him- or herself. You wouldn't let your ten year old teach themselves how to fire a rifle. They need guidance from people who know about rifles.

Deliberately placing the trainee 'outside' the organisation, using outsourced training, and not taking responsibility to use your experienced people to (1) pick the right people and (2) wear the cost of making a poor choice every now and again is downright irresponsible.

You will discourage careful people from becoming pilots. You favour the reckless and those who are less self-critical. Is that who you want flying your airliners? Put your AoC in their hands?

Too many folk think this is an economic discussion. It isn't. It is about safety.

sweetpollypurebred
18th Sep 2005, 05:39
I think it`s more like $1.50 and a secondhand can of coke, once a year you get a free straw,so look after it!!!!!!:yuk:

The Edge's Guitar
18th Sep 2005, 13:20
ITCZ,
You have hit the nail on the head. I have completed the Alteon course and found it to be very substandard. Almost impossible to get any help when doing the CBT component. My induction lasted 5mins because the instructor had lost the welcome to Alteon CD. Explained where the coffee room was then the CBT room and handed us our manuals. Tried to find the instructors a few times but kept getting the same reply, "sorry, he's in a meeting/sim/not here". A very condensed course for an initial. I was lucky coming off the 717 and pity the poor bloke coming across from GA.
In the end have a go if your keen but be prepared to work your ring off for 5 weeks.
Cheers

c560xl
18th Sep 2005, 21:51
Thanks Guys
Its an excellent info.
I am type rated A320 over 1000 hours on type.
I am working in Mid-East Just wants to come back home.
missing all the life style and Aussie way of living but i believe I should just hang in there for a while.

Thanks once again

Chilli Muscle
22nd Sep 2005, 12:49
I do not think you would have the ability to save up for a lawn mower franchise on $865-00 per week.

Might have to get the left seat before you can afford to bail :p

Willie Nelson
23rd Sep 2005, 03:06
Any idea of how many guys/girls have missed out on the JQ post endorsement assesment flight or the check to line?

In my current organisation you can put your hand up for sim support to assist in picking up your standards or confidence. Is this possible in JQ with only the two sims each year (as far as I am aware)?

tinpis
23rd Sep 2005, 03:17
:hmm: 'bout the same they was paying an Ansett 320 FO in '89.
Come a long way hasnt it?:rolleyes:

Gnadenburg
23rd Sep 2005, 03:26
c560xl

Sorry but you write and have the visible logic of the Arab. Have you spent too long in the sun? Or are you Gulf/Qatar/Kuwait/ Al Arabia HR testing the market to see how much the Australian pilot works for?

Living near the airport boundary, as a low cost pilot in Oz, got to be better than living in Qatar, Bahrain, Sharjah or Kuwait.

Wun Wing Lo
23rd Sep 2005, 05:32
Makes that MOU look pointless.... What mainline guy in his right mind would go there. How many J* guys have come across.

BCF Breath
23rd Sep 2005, 06:48
Just wanting to confirm or dispell a rumour...
Do the pilots & F/A have to pay for their uniforms as well as damn near everything else?

LetsGoRated
23rd Sep 2005, 08:45
Wun Wing Lo

What mainline guy in his right mind would go there. How many J* guys have come across.

I think you'll find that the question is; What Jet* guy in his right mind would go to mainline? Sad but true.:ok: