PDA

View Full Version : P47?

pax britanica
16th Sep 2005, 12:12
I ve never seen a P47 thunderbolt until perhaps today and wonder if someone can confirm.

Living near Camberley I am used to and enjoy the constant stream of GA traffic skirting the western edge of the LHR TMA.

Today around 9 am I saw a fast moving chunky radial engine type heading north to south south west over the Blackwater area just east of Blackbushe

It wasnt a Yak- distictive Russian radial noise gives them away and sounded like engine was at fairly low power-extremely smooth purring radial. Appeared to be dark blue or green with a white triangle on fin
It was a bit too far awy to be sure so I wondered if some eagle eyed expert here can confirm what type it might be.

On similar subject I see a Dove almost daily scooting around this sort of routing,lovely to see and hear a sixties relic, but it seems to get a lot of hours in-is it used for some regular purpose. Many thanks PB

Oshkosh George
16th Sep 2005, 16:12
The only P47 in Europe is the Duxford one,and it's silver. I thought I recalled seeing a Sea Fury in the marks you describe,but couldn't find photographic evidence of one.

The Dove is probably G-ARHW based at Fairoaks.

pax britanica
16th Sep 2005, 16:43
Thanks George- and I am sure you are right-Ive only seen see furys close up and making a lot of noise , I ll live in hope on the P47/

Well Fairoaks is just down the road from here so that expains the regular Dove overflights but for an old aircraft it sure gets about

PB

mfaff
20th Sep 2005, 18:11
The P47 may have been in tranist from Duxford to Goodwood as it was flying during the Revival meeting..