PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair using Autothrottles?

x5uvt
16th Sep 2005, 06:16
Just out of curiosty: Does Ryanair utilize the Autothrottles on their 737's and what Displaymode do they use (EFIS or PFD)?

Cheers, x5

Wizofoz
16th Sep 2005, 06:58
Is there any airline that DOESN'T utilise Autothrottle on ANY aircraft so equipped?

I think virtually all European operators use the PFD display, even those who have dual ratings such as easyJet.

XPMorten
16th Sep 2005, 07:22
Southwest Airlines doesn't use A/T (or VNAV)
for easier crew transfer.

See this topic (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=181410&highlight=vnav)

Cheers,

M

catchup
16th Sep 2005, 07:45
How do they fly in CATIII ?

regards

4Screwaircrew
17th Sep 2005, 19:48
If they operate CAT III they would do it the same way a crew which had experienced an AT fail would, setting the power by hand. I give this snag to crews in CAT III recurrent training, it is not a big thing to deal with.

Charles Darwin
19th Sep 2005, 18:19
Southwest Airlines doesn't use A/T (or VNAV)

Now, thatīs stupid! :sad:

catchup
19th Sep 2005, 18:24
Where I live, one may not start a CAT III approach without A/T.

If A/T fails during the approach, a goaround has to be perfomed.

regards

Trentino
25th Sep 2005, 15:57
Darwin, Southwest is not stupid at all for not using Vnav and a/t.
It does wonders for their currency checks.
Check airmen and sim instructors I have spoken to say they can see a real difference in pilots who have the ability to really fly the beast or let the computer do it.
As for commonality. They have several different aircraft and this really helps keep costs down.

davedek
25th Sep 2005, 16:07
Correct me if I am wrong in the following:

If Southwest are not using VNAV (which I understand to be automatic altitude selection by the autopilot based on data from the FMC), does this imply the pilots are just using 'Altitude Hold' instead (i.e. still letting the autopilot manage the height, just imputting the desired alt manually)?

TR4A
25th Sep 2005, 16:52
Southwest does not use AT and Vnav. We fly Cat IIIa approaches hand flown with the HGS (Heads-up Guidance System - HUD) to DH of 50 feet. RVR 700 feet. When flying with the A/P we either use the V/S, LVL Change or just fly it like CWS. The A/P captures the altitude, no need to select Alt Hold. We must be doing something right we are still making money.:D

THICKO
4th Dec 2005, 01:04
....Until one crashes!!...

What about workload management?

gonso
4th Dec 2005, 08:01
:ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

I thought some of the posts were sarcastic!

You guys are for real???

No way! Thats dangerous, at least. CatIIIA has a decision at 50ft. Who monitors the speed and all these modes, who's looking outside and at which height the PF reverts from looking in to looking out ? At 50 feet???

Yeah, nice way to make money!

Next time I hear an FAA chap talk to me about flight safety, I'll probably punch him in the nose!

piton
4th Dec 2005, 09:02
Calm down Gonso!

Read TR4A's post again they use HUD - I've never flown with it but used a demo version at an IFALPA gathering.

Everything is projected on your windscreen so you are looking "outside" and "at the instruments" at the same time! It's similar to what fastjet military types use to barrel along at 500 ft over changing terrain. Very accurate. I believe that Alaskan also uses it in their challenging conditions for 0/0 on their 737 fleet (though stand to be corrected).

Thua a totally different kettle of fish from "normal" scanning. BTW easy wanted to trial HUD a few years back but the CAA had cold feet even though it's used safely by various FAA carriers.

Wizofoz
4th Dec 2005, 15:43
BTW easy wanted to trial HUD a few years back

...And so I bump my head on the B:mad: Y thing every time I fly an EZ -300!!

Dr Esteban
4th Dec 2005, 22:28
but the CAA had cold feet

No quite so. I believe eJ didn't use them because of the additional training costs.
Sounds silly, as they installed them in plenty of their a/c (approx Ģ500.000 per unit). But training was going to cost them a hell of a lot more.

Who monitors the speed and all these modes

All this data is reflected on the HUD. IAS, FMAs, ALT, etc etc.

Mind you, plenty of bizjets and regional jets all around Europe are equipped with HUDs. All being capable of doing CAT2/3 (manual landings).

Regards,
Doc

gonso
7th Dec 2005, 06:50
:ugh:

God, I am getting too old!

Since i work in EU and not on the 737 or bizjet, makes all that sound like ...star trek to me!

Checkboard
7th Dec 2005, 15:26
nope - the CAA inspector wouldn't approve the installation, as "the pilot not flying couldn't monitor the HUD display" (not having one on the RHS).

Dr Esteban
10th Dec 2005, 17:42
I stand corrected.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Regards,
Doc