PDA

View Full Version : Luftwaffa and RAF merger?

jwcook
15th Sep 2005, 04:43
I just heard on the radio that the RAF is recruiting Luftwaffa pilots!, is there any truth to this?, I can see quite a few basil fawlty moments coming up if it is!!!

Cheers

Rakshasa
15th Sep 2005, 05:44
Were they any more specific than that?

We've had officers on exchange programs for time immemorial, not to mention the old TTTE...

jwcook
15th Sep 2005, 06:09
Just caught the last bit off the radio (in Australia), the president of Australian defence force association saying:
Apparently the luftwaffa is downsizing and the RAF are recruiting them, thats about all I heard, I just thought it was amusing and wanted to find out more!!.

BEagle
15th Sep 2005, 06:18
Not sure that the average Luftwaffe mate would put up with all the bull$hit, petty restrictions, shabby old buildings, ageing aircraft held together with spit and speedtape and generally run down state of the present day Rental Air Farce.....

The Helpful Stacker
15th Sep 2005, 06:22
Not sure that the average Luftwaffe mate would put up with all the bull$hit, petty restrictions, shabby old buildings, ageing aircraft held together with spit and speedtape and generally run down state of the present day Rental Air Farce.....

Harsh, but unfortunately fair....

BEagle
15th Sep 2005, 07:10
And I guess your 'pile of blankets' is now down to a single, rather stained and somewhat threadbare item?

Which, of course, you aren't allowed to issue in case someone needs it....:p

The Luftwaffe base I normally deal with is in a much better state of being than anything in the RAF. And they always seem to have sufficient room to work in - rather than everyone squeezed into a few decaying old ex-WW2 buildings which should have been pulled down 30 years ago!

brakedwell
15th Sep 2005, 07:10
. . . . . . and anyway, beer is too expensive on this side of the channel!

Pontius Navigator
15th Sep 2005, 07:13
Bet we can downsize faster than they can:ouch:

BANANASBANANAS
15th Sep 2005, 07:15
Whilst running around on TACEVAL with a Luftwaffe exchange officer at Nause Brighton many moons ago I heard him come out with this little gem:

"Now I know vy you British are so good in wartime. In peacetime you practise chaos." Hard but fair then, moreso now I believe.

EXATCO
15th Sep 2005, 08:01
Very true Bananas..

"Chaos will always overcome Order as it is better organised" apologies to Terry Pratchet:E

average pilot
15th Sep 2005, 08:37
Having done an exchange tour with the Luftwaffe I can't agree with BEagle that their stations are better than ours and I,ve been to most of them. Some of what they have is good but don't forget many of their aircraft are as old as ours and due to be replaced at the same time. They just haven't worked them as hard as we have, not being allowed to "play" until reunification and a constitution change in the mid 90s.
And as one german collegue of mine once told me "You shouldn't make jokes about the second world war, many germans suffered as well...for example my grandfather died in a concetration camp.....................................he was pissed and fell off his watch tower!