PDA

View Full Version : Options for potential pilot - training, age, etc.?

aadoyle
14th Sep 2005, 23:57
Dear all,

I am 25. What would be my options regarding reaching a flying position with an airline/low cost, etc.? I only have 30 hours flying experience on cessnas (years ago), no licenses. Would I need to attend a flight school first in the UK, and then work my way into an airline interview? Or can I be hired directly?

Is 25/26 too old to start?

Quick question about airlines & jobs. Once you get a job with an airline, you are required to stay at your current airline or else you will start at the bottom of another carrier's roster if you happened to move, is this correct?
However, several people here have said they move airline and go direct to the larger aircraft.. does experience factor in? So, you are not really stuck in one company for life, yes?

Thanks
Alan

Gufo
15th Sep 2005, 08:38
Hi there. Well, quick questions, quick answers! ;)

Would I need to attend a flight school first in the UK, and then work my way into an airline interview? Or can I be hired directly?

Definitely the first one. More than you can possibly imagine. Since I reckon you're American, I can't really write about your potential picture down there. Yet, just to make you aware, it's likely to be tougher than normally expected.

Is 25/26 too old to start?

It's kind of mid-range to begin. But getting an employment really depends on the very minute you walk in, quite regardless of your age. So don't worry about that too much.

Once you get a job with an airline, you are required to stay at your current airline or else you will start at the bottom of another carrier's roster if you happened to move, is this correct?

Not exactly. It's not a fixed and golden rule. It depends on the single airline and -again- the timing of your application. Of course if you're very high in the roster, you can expect to lose some altitude by changing airline. But let's say you finally made it to become a Cpt; then, if another airline is looking for captains, you will likely jump in directly to the left seat... Hope it makes sense.

So, you are not really stuck in one company for life, yes?

I would say: UNFORTUNATELY, you aren't. Again more than you can possibly imagine :{

Cheers, mate :ok:

aadoyle
16th Sep 2005, 23:20
Thanks for clearing this up. Other opinions differ, esecially with US pilots who seem to feel that you generally do need to start over. Anybody else have an opinion on this?

Thanks
AD

scroggs
17th Sep 2005, 07:13
If you want to work in UK, you have to have the right to do so. If you are a US citizen, you'll need to check through the British Embassy whether you posess the required right of residence.

Most established airlines, in Europe as in the US, work on a seniority system. Everything is based on seniority - rosters, leave, command etc. Leave one airline for another and you will - almost always - start at the bottom of your new employer's seniority list. There is one notable exception to this rule in UK in easyJet, but all the other major airlines work this way. Of course, a small or start-up airline can't afford the luxury of a seniority system and will need to hire direct-entry captains and trainers. If a large airline tried that it would have a strike on its hands PDQ!

As for your chances, you may be young enough to get your training through the CTC Wings scheme. It costs a lot of money, but you pay after you become employed - and employment is all but guaranteed for these students. Otherwise you're going to need to find something over £50,000 for a course at one of the major schools.

Scroggs

aadoyle
17th Sep 2005, 16:45
So, thank you. It seems though, that if you are captain you could transfer directly into the left seat of, say, British airways with its Direct Entry program, yes?

If you join a Low cost initially, is it worth it to move into a major even if you were to start off at the bottom? Do your skills mean nothing?

Could you please show me the link for that CTC training?

Thanks
AD

Charlie Zulu
17th Sep 2005, 18:08
http://www.ctcaviation.com/

In particular:

http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/index.htm

scroggs
18th Sep 2005, 14:13
So, thank you. It seems though, that if you are captain you could transfer directly into the left seat of, say, British airways with its Direct Entry program, yes?

If you join a Low cost initially, is it worth it to move into a major even if you were to start off at the bottom? Do your skills mean nothing?

No, you will never get a direct entry command with British Airways. The only large airline I know in UK that is offering direct-entry commands is easyJet. They can do this as they do not operate a seniority system, but you can bet that it upsets those easyJet guys who've put the time in in the right-hand seat already.

Yes, it is worth it. You can earn far more in BA or Virgin (and one or two others) than you can in easyJet, and you will not be restricted to short-haul, no-frills flying. You will also qualify for far more non-financial benefits. Your skills are not worth nothing - you simply won't get in to many airlines without them!

Scroggs