PDA

View Full Version : No wheels

F/O Bloggs
14th Sep 2005, 06:26
Yesterday at Alice Springs, a Cessna something landed on runway 12 sans gear down.
Nothing unusal about that I hear you say, happens all the time, but here is the rub-

The pilot was DEAF, not bad of hearing but actually deaf. How does a deaf pilot get to hold a licence? The controllers saw that he had no gear, but were unable to warn him in time. (They said 'go around' several times but to no avail.)

How can this guy be allowed to fly into a controlled field?

Hempy
14th Sep 2005, 07:39
63 views and no replies, the silence is deafening.......

J430
14th Sep 2005, 08:05
WHAT WAS THAT HEMPY, COULDN'T HEAR YA PROPER MATE!!

Could not help it, he probably was not deaf to start with, but after a life of flying Cessna's he is now!!!!:D

That does raise a good point though. I do not want to be unfair, but hearing is a close second to seeing out the front of any plane.

How can this be when some people have a slight ailment and get grounded!!

J:ok:

gaunty
14th Sep 2005, 08:08
Hempy OK I give in.

This isn't a replay of that old urban myth when the pilot, after a wheels up, is asked by the tower dude why he did not hear his warnings is rumoured to have said;

"I couldn't hear what you were saying over the sound of this loud horn in the cockpit" boom boom.:rolleyes:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th Sep 2005, 08:13
It wasn't His 'Royal' Huffiness with the BIG black glasses.....
suffering from the 'Ultimate Aviation Deafness' by any chance??

It Wasn't?

Damn... :yuk:

macfeet
14th Sep 2005, 09:01
see http://www.moorabbinairport.com.au/news10.htm

on this occasion pilot was using void times

RENURPP
14th Sep 2005, 09:26
The politically correct will shout me down, but I couldn't give a rats.

I flew with a deaf pilot around 20 yrs back. A really bad attitude.
Could not be told.
Only held a RPPL, flew any where he wanted. On return always landed on the runway he departed on, regardless of wind. Could not be told. I remember one day after debriefing him on his return about checking the windsock prior to joining the circuit he gave me a signal which could be interpreted that he wanted to slit my throat.
That all had nothing to do with being deaf, every thing to do with having a really bad attitude. He moved to Cooronbong if memory serves me. R/sole

Hempy
14th Sep 2005, 10:04
see http://www.moorabbinairport.com.au/news10.htm

on this occasion pilot was using void times

http://www.moorabbinairport.com.au/images/kentpower2.jpg

Personalised rego....

gaunty
14th Sep 2005, 11:29
What a fantastic story more power to the man.:ok:

It's certainly the most comfortable way to enjoy a C210, I'll never ever forget that banshee howling noise on TO the first time I flew a C206/210.:rolleyes:

F/O Bloggs
14th Sep 2005, 11:32
Void times. He was 10 mins overdue into ASP.
Delayed us an hour as we held then diverted AYE then returned.
Claimed he had three greens and then asked for a lift into town. Apparently the airport manager at AS was ready to explode.

Anyways I know it has been discussed before, but the experience reminded me that if you don't plan to have fuel to go somewhere else when operating to a single runway, you are taking a real risk.

gaunty
14th Sep 2005, 12:05
Eeeerm I'll retract that, just saw RENURPP's post can't be the same man surely.

If it was then molto brickbats.:mad:

AEIO-540
15th Sep 2005, 01:34
RENURPP I never flew with this Man but I saw him operate out of the same aerodrome that I did for a year. The plane and pilot in the photo was based at YWVA for a while, just 15nm down the road from Cooronbong. Yes I have to agree with you he had a real bad attitude, not sure why? Also yes he would always land on the same runway he departed no matter what the wind. I saw this cause lots of problems as there where always lots of students flying at this aerodrome. I was over head the field and saw IDM on final to land in about 10kts of downwind with a low time solo student on opposite finals. Let the student know to go around and it was all OK. We used to call him the Big White Wale.

Renurpp Couldn’t agree with your judgment more. Sad to see that IDM did a gear up that was a nice 210.

nasa
15th Sep 2005, 01:37
Gear Doors perhaps????

Merlins Magic
15th Sep 2005, 06:16
I actually met this bloke the other day at Thargomindah. It took a while to get across to me that he was deaf. What was even more suprising to us was that his copilot (maybe his wife), was also deaf. He wrote on a piece of paper that he had flown in from Sydney via Moree.

Luckily for us he was already on the ground and refuelling when we showed up so not to cause any hassels.

It is hard enough flying in the circuit in our Metro at 180+ knots with light aircraft that do talk to you let alone when they don't talk to you.

Someone mentioned landing with a stiff tailwind. It seems it must not bother him. Before we departed, he pulled his aircraft away from the bowser and parked it with a good 20+ knots up the tail.

It has to be said - Deaf and Dumb.

esreverlluf
15th Sep 2005, 08:25
I think its great that this bloke hasn't let his disability get in the way of what he wants to do.

HOWEVER - I cannot abide that he is willing to do so AND that the authorities allow him to do so in such a fashion as to grossly and flagrantly endanger the general public.

By all means get around with a hearing offsider, but not on your own.

Kind of nice that he got himself in the sh1t and didn't hurt anyone else this time. What about next time?

Wonder if he's insured - or even insurable?

Vetical Limit
15th Sep 2005, 09:39
When i first read this thread i thought it was a wind-up...

How can the authorities possibly find it safe for a bloke to buzz around the skies without being able to hear?? I dont want to even start listing the extensive hazards he presents to himself, and more importantly the greater flying community. It is stated that he plans his flights meticulously to ensure all is pre arranged with airservices and so on, but how often in our own experiences has a flight gone exactly to plan?

Seriously how devoid of logic is it to celebrate the dangers this guy is creating? How he is licensed to operate by himself is simply beyond me. Im all for him getting up there and enjoying his flying experiences but as esreverlluf said, get a hearing offsider and stop creating hazards.