PDA

View Full Version : Discovery wings

Dr Illitout
13th Sep 2005, 13:59
I managed to flick on to Discovery wings last night, only to find I was watching a programme about steam trains!!!
What is going on?. It's bad enough that the channel shows repeats most of the time without showing another subject altogether!

Rgds Dr I

Dop
13th Sep 2005, 14:13
I thought that too. Maybe the video tapes of all those ancient episodes of 'Flightline' have finally worn out.

Can't someone make some NEW programmes about general aviation?

Noah Zark.
14th Sep 2005, 22:31
Yes, its still going on, too. Pete Waterman and Mark Williams seem to be fronting most of these railway progs.
I don't mind trains, but not on the aviation channel. Its content of well-worn repeats is meagre enough.
I feel a stroppy e-mail to Sky coming on!

Conan the Librarian
14th Sep 2005, 23:50
From "A plane is born" to "A train was scrapped" in about 30 mins. Sadly I find the train progs a bit more original and although you have to put up with the "We need an accessible presenter" malarkey, even the hardest aviation Tyro would be hard put to say that the Train progs were not watchable. Nonetheless, Discovery Wings is not best served with train proggies. I still think them preferable to Cieran O Cliche though.

Conan

Tarnished
15th Sep 2005, 01:18
Over here in the US of A Discovery Wings is no more (RIP), we now have the Discovery Military Channel instead.

All very sad because I can't see where the ex-vet, "a chopper/car/bike/plane is Born" chap is going to fine a slot. It also means that instead of a total aviation chammel we now get grunt special forces and life in the bleedin USAF academy (dont look down and chew exactly 23 times) progs.:)

All is not well in the Kingdom of the the Free!

Tarnished

TURIN
15th Sep 2005, 09:56
Maybe it was about the Flying Scotsman!!:O

Sorry, couldn't resist.:D

Dr Illitout
15th Sep 2005, 13:40
and it wasn't about the "Battle of Britain" class loco's either, before you start!!!!

You would have thought with all the countless miles of film taken of aeroplanes, there would be enough material to have a twenty four hour channel too!!!.

rgds Dr I

P.S. Turin, remember I know where you live!!!!!

TURIN
15th Sep 2005, 21:16
I am impressed.

Not a single spelling mistake in your last post Dr.;)

Anyway, isn't the HS125 a loco?:confused:

ATSA2
20th Sep 2005, 11:37
gawd! a "military channel" instead of Wings? probably be full of programmes about how the yanks won the war without any help from anybody!

PPRuNe Radar
20th Sep 2005, 12:49
Anyway, isn't the HS125 a loco

I thought Ryanair and easyJet were 'loco's ?? :confused:

Conan the Librarian
24th Sep 2005, 20:18
And now, (2020Z Saturday) for your further enjoyment on Discovery wings, is an hour programme on.... Armoured Cars. Not the APC variety, but the sort of Mafiosa run around. Great, innit?

Conan

(Edit -But there is a superb programme on aerobatics at 2100Z)

Cameratwo
25th Sep 2005, 19:05
Discovery Wings may very soon be history, but there is another to take it's place!

Coming soon.............

Conan the Librarian
26th Sep 2005, 19:31
Two things made me raise my eyebrows. Have just seen "Bruce Dickinson flies Heavy Metal" and am amazed to find that this chap is the lead singer with Iron Maiden - but also has a job as a 757 FO with Astreus. I can't think of a more unlikely scenario. Had I not seen it with my own eyes I would never have believed it. I think that must be real comitment, when already a success with his skiffle band. Well done that man!

Also, before I got bored witless with Sky last time, there was a programme called "Flightline" The presenter reminded of someone else on Television and last night, I found out who. Has anyone seen Red Dwarf and the character of "Ace Rimmer"?

Conan

Gainesy
27th Sep 2005, 07:53
...and Bruce is a Pprune regular Conan. :)

Conan the Librarian
27th Sep 2005, 15:52
HaHaHa!!!! Best Keep quiet about my "love" of heavy metal then.... Well done Bruce :-)

Conan

Noah Zark.
29th Sep 2005, 21:42
Sent an e-mail off to sky to complain about intrusion of train/car progs on "Wings", and have heard nothing!
Why am I not surprised?

PT6ER
29th Sep 2005, 23:38
To respond to ATSA2,

The programming is definately centered towards a U.S audiance but the main problem is a reduced level of aviation programming.

Since I moved here from the UK in 1987 I have heard the old Brit line on how the Americans think they won the war single handidly (John Wayne you know) blah blah, and it really is a tiresome view. Most people I have spoken with on the subject realize there were "Allies" and the only thing I can really fault is that they also tend to believe that WW2 started at Pearl Harbor (which for them it did I suppose).

All the stereotyping that appears on PPRUNE, whilst being amusing to begin with, does wear thin especially if you step back and realize there are xenophobic w$nkers everywhere on the planet who tend to be convinced their home is best and damn the rest.

Not a personal rant at you per se, just a rant in general :ok:

Paracab
29th Sep 2005, 23:52
Just flicked onto 'Wings' to find a programme about convertible cars... Rather odd. I hope the email of complaint I have just sent to Sky will be read and actioned, but I think probably not.

Conan the Librarian
30th Sep 2005, 10:22
I suspect we are being softened up for a rebranding exercise here... Prepare for a change to "Discovery Things"

Conan

Cameratwo
30th Sep 2005, 21:37
Discovery Wheels and Wings perhaps!

Conan the Librarian
1st Oct 2005, 20:15
Nah - Just "Discovery cheapo Repeats"

or

How about "Men and Motors II"? That is about cars, isn't it? :-)

Conan

BEagle
2nd Oct 2005, 08:42
The brand image of Discovery seems to be entirely documentary focused. But other documentary stations are now showing movies as well, so perhaps the odd movie night wouldn't be a bad idea?

Discovery Wings and Wheels sounds a distinct possibility, but what it needs are less repeats ("I'm Brendan O'Brien - and I'm a pilot :rolleyes: ) and more UK content. Are those old series about the Fleet Air Arm ('Sailor'?) or the Test Pilot series from ETPS still available?

There must be thousands of historical aviation films around - how about the DoD or UK MoD archives (if they have any). I really hate those doom-laden American narrators talking over sombre music soundtracks of many cheap documentary programmes with their childish computer generated imagery.

The plethora of UK TV and Discovery channels I find totally confusing. How about some quality instead of quantity!

Noah Zark.
4th Oct 2005, 19:47
A weekend of historic nostalgia apparently focusing on films and documentaries of (I think) mainly British aircraft is now being touted on Sky.
Beginning Friday 14th. October. Pity it's only a weekend!

Kevin O'Neill
13th Oct 2005, 15:19
Don't suppose it was about "Mallards" was it?

Iron City
14th Oct 2005, 19:16
On our particular little cable system we get Discovery with Discovery Wings sometimes and also the Military Channel and the History Channel.

Discovery isn't too bad but is not aviation oriented and good programs are hit or miss (though there is one called Modern Marvels that is pretty good)

Military Channel has it's share of aviation and a lot of the footage is of odd 1950s vintage aircraft that are one offs or XF or YF this or that that probably had as much old footage shot of it as the a/c's max takeoff gross weight. And when they got the footage the things seem to have crashed or been taken to the breakers and the next one trotted out. Occasionally have a good one like a history of Daussault (sp) they had last week. Too much of this channel is for the 18-35 testosterone set that want guns and explosions and too much of the programming looks like it is made from newsreel and training film footage that was found on the cutting room floor (and should have stayed there)

The History Channel has some good material but lots of repeats and it seems that the Nazis worked overtime with their movie cameras. For a country that was bombed into the stone age and invaded a whole boatload of the footage survived...and these guys show it at the drop of a hat. It has gotten so that Mrs IC calls it "The Hitler Channel". Won't be able to watch it after next week when the new German au pair shows up. They do run a program called Mail Call where a fellow answers questions from readers on military stuff. Most of the questions result in potted history things and I've never seen any information I didn't know before really, but it is diverse. From how Roman legionares were equipped and fought to compare a Mauser with a Springfield with a Lee Enfield. And then he goes on the range and shoots them after field stripping them for you.

Conan the Librarian
14th Oct 2005, 19:52
A lot of Brit avaition on now in the "Archive Weekend" (Time now, 1950Z Friday.) It is very good! They will be recycling from ten minutes hence and it is well worth having a crack if you can.

First hour is ok, but from there on, if you lke Lightnings, Hunters, Meteors, Brits and Beverleys, it will be an enjoyable hour or two. Back now to Farnborough 64.

Conan

Dr Illitout
15th Oct 2005, 09:01
Saw part of it last night. Packed her off to bed, opened another bottle of wine and ...............woke up at 07:00:O
The bits I remember were very good.
Hear's a question some of our senior members might be able to answer. Did EVERYBODY in the RAF in the forties and fifties have moustaches?!!!!!

Rgds Dr I

diginagain
15th Oct 2005, 09:30
Not everyone Dr.

I'm sure some of the younger WRAFs would have been without.

Conan the Librarian
15th Oct 2005, 17:00
Another three hours from the archives tonight, starting in 2 mins. First hour concentrates on '40s second on '50s and third on '60s. Hope it was as enjoyable as last nights offerings. All progs will recycle from 2000Z and 2300Z

Conan

Dop
15th Oct 2005, 18:57
I loved the stuff about Heathrow when it was not much more than a few huts.
"...ready for stratocruisers, Brabazons and flying wings!"

The innocent optimism of the 50s!

BEagle
15th Oct 2005, 19:57
Aaaargh - almost had a trouser moment watching 'Treble One'! Notice how smart RAF stations were back then? All white or black-and-white kerbstones and grass neatly kept etc. No slouching contractor's employees bespoiling the place either!

Ground crew re-Avpin-ing a jet; others recharging the oxygen and nitrogen - no ear defenders, stupid yellow jackets or other trappings of the ba$tard health and safety idiots. Even a NAAFI wagon on the flightline to feed and water the lads...

Why did we let it get so wrong as it is today?

The Skybolt documentary was fascinating as well!

And, Mike J, they even had a documentary which showed how a Victor could be landed 'hands-off'.....:p

Conan the Librarian
15th Oct 2005, 22:46
Funnily enough BEags, I was wondering if you were watching :-)

More tomorrow and I would be surprised if there wasn't something on the aluminium overcast there, so enjoy :-)

Conan

Edited Sunday night.

Well done Discovery Wings! After five years that I know of - of cheaply purchased, poorly produced, often innaccurate, annoying and superficial programming, you have finally redeemed yoursleves.

For the first time ever, I am happy to pay up for next month.

Glad to get that off my chest....

Roghead
17th Oct 2005, 14:08
Great nostalgia programmes. Reminded me why I joined................ and left when it all got rather silly.

Noah Zark.
17th Oct 2005, 19:27
I taped it all, to watch and savour at leisure. I've watched a few episodes so far, my main area of interest being 50's & 60s. It is excellent to see footage of the likes of Beverleys, Britannias, etc., and all of the jet fighters.
But the bloody awful commentaries, so condescending, usually in a glib, authoritative voice. And the music score, that accompanied most of the film clips. What absolute :mad:

Dr Illitout
18th Oct 2005, 08:34
I loved the line in the Aden documentry used to discribe an army camp up in the hills "Looking like a council estate"!!.
If you look VERY carefully at the opening sequence of that film you will see a very young Dr. I on the beach!!!. My father was in Aden at that time trying to keep the mighty Belvedere flying. So Mum and I went with him!.

Rgds Dr I

Conan the Librarian
25th Oct 2005, 23:11
Something very badly wrong here... Just watched two SUPERB proggies on the Vulcan and Victor. Tremendous stuff with a lot of archive material that I certainly have not seen before. Well done Wings.

Now - Will somebody kindly wake me up?

Conan

Wycombe
25th Oct 2005, 23:19
....well, we'd better had say it was good, hadn't we :ok:

ChrisVJ
26th Oct 2005, 07:05
DoP
Sorry I could not see that.

Had my 5th birthday party in the restaurant at LAP when it was a Nissen hut. My grandfather helped build the airport and used to arrange cricket matches between the service area and the runway, airport workers vs the rest, (contractors, journalists etc.)

Those were the da. . . . . . . . !

nosefirsteverytime
26th Oct 2005, 19:49
Righty, looks like I'm here at the right time....

Moving house soon, and will be getting digital in time for Xmas (Yayyyyy!)

Is Wings worth it for an avvy buff?

diginagain
26th Oct 2005, 20:27
I think you'll be a tad disappointed, nosefirst. Real gems are hard to find amongst the general dross.

You can see most of their offerings over the course of a few weeks, then reacquaint yourself with the same stuff over and over and over again.

Brenda O'Brien gets wearisome, and although Celia the Sidekick can be easy on the eye, she does talk some absolute bolleaux.

Conan the Librarian
27th Oct 2005, 02:04
Sky is wall to wall crap - though you can choose your own kind of crap. Just when things are getting desperate, you will revert to terrestrial TV and then find that given the choice of the two services, (apart from the very odd gem) that you in fact want to save the spondooliks, dump the magic window and listen to radio 4 instead.

Horse racing has somewhat equal odds, I am told.

Conan