PDA

View Full Version : Trident

ORAC
13th Sep 2005, 06:35
The Grauniad:

Britain faces long-term nuclear threat and must plan for it, says Reid.

· Defence secretary seeks debate on ageing Trident
· Decision on replacement likely in next two years

Defence secretary John Reid today opens a national debate about replacing Britain's independent nuclear deterrent, saying he believes Britain faces a long-term external nuclear threat and may have to plan on that basis. In an interview with the Guardian, he gives the first indication of government thinking in what promises to be one of the most controversial decisions of this parliament. The decision has to be taken in this parliament and, according to some experts, possibly in the next two years. Mr Reid promises an open debate in the country, parliamentary party and parliament on any Trident alternative.

Asked if Britain would face a nuclear enemy in 15 years, the date at which Polaris, the current deterrent, is likely to be obsolete, he replied: "The decision is never an easy one, and I think recent history teaches us it is impossible in most cases to predict where your enemy will come from. Nobody, or very few, foresaw the invasion of the Falklands or that Saddam would invade Kuwait, and I could go through any number of other examples. So to say whether we might have a nuclear enemy in 15 years' time is a difficult question to answer, other than to say history probably suggests we will".

He added while Britain had already done everything to minimise its nuclear deterrent, "it is the case that others have been trying to develop and in some cases have developed their nuclear weapons". He cited North Korea, Pakistan and India, adding evidence existed Saddam had been heading in same direction.

He cautioned against the view that "just because new threat of international terrorism has arisen the old threats will necessarily go. They may change". He added: "My track record and that of the government on nuclear weapons - maintaining while ensuring it is the minimum - is one for all to see, as well as being a good one."

Any new deterrent would not breach the nuclear non-proliferation treaty and would not necessarily represent an increase in the size of the deterrent.

Promising a full debate, he said: "It is not only a good thing that there will be such a discussion, it is an inevitable thing. We are not going to have a secret Chevaline-like decision taken by some of the cabinet which then proceeds without any public discussion or debate. Even if that was desirable, and it is not, it is not possible. "It is a matter of political practicality. In the course of the next four years this decision will take place. It will inevitably be more public than such decisions in the past."

The Wilson government in 1974 extended Polaris with the Chevaline programme, only informing a small cabinet group.

Mr Reid said he had given no detailed consideration to whether MPs should be given a vote. But he added: "People are not stupid. They can always find ways - fox-hunting was put to a vote in the PLP, so people will find ways of doing things."

Faced by accusations that he has secretly made the decision to spend up to £20bn on the replacement, he insisted: "It is not a decision about which I have received any advice, papers, options or made any decisions." He warned that regardless of any decision, spending would have to be tightened, with greater European coordination on procurement.....

Daysleeper
13th Sep 2005, 11:41
evidence existed Saddam had been heading in same direction

We just cant find it at the moment, was here a minute ago, I'm sure it will turn up eventually,don't you TRUST me? :rolleyes:

BunkerBound
13th Sep 2005, 21:31
It is heartening to see that the Guardian is maintaining its level of journalistic standards:

“Polaris, the current deterrent”

Patrick Wintour and Martin Kettle (the journalists responsible for the article) have their Polaris and Tridents confused. As far as I am aware, Trident is the current deterrent.

“In an interview with the Guardian, he (Reid) gives the first indication of government thinking in what promises to be one of the most controversial decisions of this parliament.”

If the journalists had checked Hansard, they would know that Trident replacement was discussed by the government before this year’s general election. The (then) Secretary of State for Defence made a statement in the House on 14 March 2005:

Geoffrey Hoon: “The decision on whether or not to replace Trident is likely to be required during the next Parliament.”

Trident was discussed in the Paxman / Blair interview aired by the BBC on 20 April 2005 in the run-up to the general election. In response to Paxman’s question about a Trident replacement:

Blair: “You just, look, there's no point in speculating about that at the moment, cos we're a long way off taking the decision.”

Hoon and Blair were contradicting each other during the election campaign. It has transpired that Hoon was the one telling the truth.

DaveyBoy
13th Sep 2005, 22:33
Ah, I think the old favourites deserve an outing every now and then...

Sir Humphrey: Polaris is a ramshackle old system! The Soviets might easily develop a multi-layered ballistic missile defence system which could intercept Polaris.

Jim: By when?

Sir Humphrey: Well, in strategic terms, any day now.

Jim: By what year, precisely?

Sir Humphrey: 2020, but that's sooner than you think.

Jim: And are you saying that this nuclear defence system would stop all 192 Polaris missiles?

Sir Humphrey: Well no, not all. Virtually all. 97%.

Jim: So that would leave about five bombs that would get through?

Sir Humphrey: Precisely, a mere five.

Jim: Enough to obliterate Moscow, Leningrad, Minsk ...

Sir Humphrey: Yes, but that's about all!

Jim: It's a bluff, I probably wouldn't use it.

Sir Humphrey: Yes but they don't know that you probably wouldn't.

Jim: They probably do.

Sir Humphrey: Yes, they probably know you probably wouldn't but they can't be certain.

Jim: They probably, certainly know that I probably wouldn't.

Sir Humphrey: Yes, but even though they're probably certain you know you probably wouldn't they don't certainly know that although you probably wouldn't, there is no probability that you certainly would.

Jim: What?

Sir Humphrey: Bernard, what is the purpose of our defence policy?

Bernard: To defend Britain?

Sir Humphrey: No Bernard, it is to make the people think that Britain is defended.

Bernard: The Russians?

Sir Humphrey Not the Russians, the British! The Russians know it's not.

ORAC
14th Sep 2005, 05:28
James Hacker: Sometimes I wonder if we need the weapons.
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Minister! You're not a unilateralist?
James Hacker: Well... I sometimes wonder.
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Then you must resign from the government!
James Hacker: Ah, no, no, no, no, no, no. I'm not *that* unilateralist! Anyway, the Americans will always protect us from the Russians.
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Russians? Who's talking about the Russians?
James Hacker: Well, the independent deterrent.
Sir Humphrey Appleby: It's to protect us against the French!

Navaleye
14th Sep 2005, 07:23
Excellent Gentlemen ;) That's made my morning.