PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes

bowly
12th Sep 2005, 15:43
Oh what a pleasure. What an absolute pleasure

Sorry the thread isn't aviation related but surely it deserves a mention!

Great to see the Aussies getting what they deserved.......

adr
12th Sep 2005, 16:36
The Ozzies certainly deserve our appreciation for their spirited defence of The Ashes. The standard of sportsmanship and mutual appreciation among players and supporters alike has been a pleasure to behold.

Well played, Australia and England; and well done, England! The Ashes are coming home at last. :O

adr

Fox3snapshot
12th Sep 2005, 17:56
Make the most of it, it only happens every 18 years! :E

ZH875
12th Sep 2005, 17:58
Just remember, Oz only wins the 'title' of the Ashes, they still remain in the heart of English & Welsh Cricket.

ComJam
12th Sep 2005, 19:21
Congratulations England! (First time this jock has ever said that!)

Never been a huge fan of Cricket but these last 4 matches have had me hooked. Refreshing to see a sport played in a gentlemanly manner with great sportsmanship. Like rugby without the punches :)

Cheers

WG774
12th Sep 2005, 20:18
Does this mean we'll see a Nimrod flanked by a pair of Typhoon fly over Trafalgar Square in recognition tomorrow then?

dopeonarope
12th Sep 2005, 20:50
2003.....Rugby World Cup Champions........

2005.......Ashes......

2006......... FIFA World Cup.......

Congrats to England, great play by both teams.:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Wish I could have seen the play but in this colony they don't do much Cricket!

Hoist to crew winching over and OUT!

Wycombe
12th Sep 2005, 22:44
Dope, until line 3 I'm with you.....obviously you haven't been watching England play football recently.

Sack the clueless overpaid oversexed Swede :mad:

dopeonarope
13th Sep 2005, 00:52
Ah,

The play recently with Wales and Northern Ireland is to give them a chance to qualify so England have a better chance of winning in the final competion;)

Totally agree with you on the over esxed daft swede though.... should change the rules... coach your own country not another... smacks of treason!

Hoist to crew winching over and OUT!:ok:

wessex19
13th Sep 2005, 03:47
Congratulations England. The best team won and you cannot ask for a better, fairer played series. Every test came down to the final days play and usually the final session. To think the ashes could be still up for grabs on the 5th day of the fifth test. As a proud Aussie I will say England won it fair and square and everyone could see why it is one of the sporting worlds greatest titles!!!! England found a great couple of players, and Australia had Warnie cement his place in cricket history as one of the greatest!!Can't wait for the next series in oz. Great effort by all involved. :ok:

bakseetblatherer
13th Sep 2005, 04:08
:) As it says on my T-Shirt (as shown on TV) "I only support two teams: New Zealand and anyone playing Australia"...

C130 Techie
14th Sep 2005, 07:04
Congratulations to England and well played both teams. Some of the best cricket I have ever watched.:ok:

It's a pity that the highly overpaid, spoilt brat losers who profess to represent their country at football can't perform to the same standard and behave in the same gentlemanly manner.

Cricket should be our No1 national sport and get equivalent TV coverage with the endless football dross that we are subjected to.

teeteringhead
14th Sep 2005, 07:37
Whilst there have been many comparisons between the good blokes of cricket (and their wholesome wives) and the t%ssers of kick-ball (and their whoresome wives), I haven't seen one point made which has always struck me. That is the time played by each ...

Each test is (all figures very rough) 5 days at 7 hours each, equals 35 hours. For 5 tests that's 175 hours, and each player is on the field for something more than half that (some of them much more!), so let's say about 90 hours as a round figure. And that's just the tests ......

Now consider the Kickball Premiersh!t competition. 20 teams play each other twice each - 38 games at 90 mins (at MOST - how many play the full 90 in every match) is 57 hours .... and for many that's all they play...

Discuss; avoiding (if possible) £ per hour on the field comparisons ......

:(

rej
14th Sep 2005, 12:47
Great to see the boys did the nation proud. This was a great series which provided hours of entertainment. Well done to both side for making it a glorious summer

Now then, that makes the national cricket team and the rugby team champs over Australia but what about the ' overpaid poofball' boys ..... if I recall their last outing against Australia (that great soccer nation!!!) in Feb 03 resulted in England getting a good thumping. As Anne would say "You are the weakest link Sven....goodbye".

wessex19
15th Sep 2005, 04:10
teeteringhead,

You are comparing oranges to apples mate!!!

ImageGear
15th Sep 2005, 06:26
Nay,

Passion fruit & Turnips

Imagegear :}

Daedal_oz
15th Sep 2005, 14:36
Oh what a pleasure. What an absolute pleasure

Sorry the thread isn't aviation related but surely it deserves a mention!

Great to see the Aussies getting what they deserved.......

Congratulations to my British friends on a spirited fight to reclaim the Ashes...not that they leave your blighted shores in any event ;)

Oh, and congratulations on retaining George Galloway...:E