PDA

View Full Version : Trials and Tribulations of Distance Learning...

Blueskyrich
12th Sep 2005, 09:17
Hello everyone,

I'm well into the first module of my distance learning course and whilst it feels like I'm working towards something very solid, I'm finding it very hard to keep focussed and on-track with the study plan. Already, I'm a couple of weeks behind my plan.

From what I've read before, I believe this is quite common. Does anybody out there have any good tips for maintaining concentration, keeping focussed and on track? Also, any handy hints for revision, note-keeping and the like?

Thanks a million,
Bluesky

Genghis the Engineer
12th Sep 2005, 09:30
Not done any pilots licences by distance learning, but have done a few other things - up to and including a Doctorate.

Plans will slip, that's inevitable, but here are a few habits that I've found useful:-

- Do something EVERY DAY. However busy you are, even 5 minutes each day ensures you don't lose the habit.

- Put your study plan up in a large visible (to you) place, tick things off as you get there.

- Have a slot in the day that is your usual study time, make sure everybody else around you knows and respects it.

G

Blueskyrich
12th Sep 2005, 09:38
Thanks Genghis - wise words as always.

Bluesky.

Lee Frost
12th Sep 2005, 10:18
Good advice from Genghis.

Beware grinding to a halt even for a few days. It becomes to easy to say 'tomorrow'. Stick to a routine, and forget about all the other stuff you'd much rather be doing.

I was often quite surprised to find myself enjoying the study after the first 20 minutes of 'oh no!'. Then go on to put 3 or 4 hours in happily enough.

I found listening to classical music helped as well.
Good luck

LF

Genghis the Engineer
12th Sep 2005, 11:07
I found listening to classical music helped as well.
A personal experience is that it's best to have a couple of favourite CDs/Tapes and stick to them. I never listen to the radio or change music too often when studying. Otherwise, I find that I tend to listen too much to the music, rather than concentrating upon what I'm studying.

G

Bear 555
12th Sep 2005, 15:30
Hi folks,

Interesting question from Blueskyrich.

From experience of PPL subjects and Business Studies - listening to classical music aided concentration and improved 'output'!

From reading psychology books - listening to music without voice is far better than listening to songs. Apparently the words distract your attention and affect concentration.

Hope that helps - and good luck with the studies.

Bear 555
:-)

metar
12th Sep 2005, 16:32
I had the same problem with my distance learning course. I did mine with Bristol, but I found that once you actually book yourself onto the brush-up course you canīt put the books down for fear of running late for it!

It does get easier the more you do too. By the end I was zooming through the frames!

Book the course and it all becomes very real very quickly!

METAR
Now, now, now

needajob01
13th Sep 2005, 22:14
I did a "home study course".
this is what I did to help myself, well I really needed cuz I am lazy(when you have a nice TV and a PC at home)!.You can call that a study plan, I call that :your "week duty":

every week, take some pages out of your binders, and place them in a smaller binder you can carry with you.(by exemple chapter 2-3 for met, chapter 4 and quizz for aerodynamic, chapter XXX for XXX...)

that will be your "week' duty"(just take what you think you can do) for me it was only 15-20 minutes to 2 hours a day.Week end 3-5 hours.

take the binder with you, even if you go outside. Study in the train, in the bus,when waiting your girlfriend/friends in a pub, sitting in a park, when taking a lunch in a fast food...even 5 minutes a day it is good. IF you start to give up for 3 days, then 5 days, 2 weeks, then 2 months, and it is over.You will give up like many guys I have seen.You can even study when watching TV.These ATP certificates are 70% reading.Read 3 times if you have to.

the trick is too keep you psychologicaly focused on this ATP course.Personaly I think to open these thick binders, will demoralize you.It is why make yourself a binder for the week.

then when you are finished with all quizz,...replace everything in order and take again what ou need for the next 5-7 days.

I did that and it worked for me.English is not my first language, and I did not have any problem during my 14 exams.

jimpearce
14th Sep 2005, 19:56
We've all been there.
Started my distance learning last september and completed my IR last week.
Get off this group for a start and spend that time studying!! No matter how hard to start after a days work after 20mins study things often look different!! and you manage several hours.
and give yourself the occasional treat like going flying a little bit to remind yourself what you're doing it for :-)))
I always found booking exams/brush-up added a nice bit of pressure and got me working..
Best of luck and things become much clearer at the brush-up courses.
Sadly I think I'm about to start the hardest bit - FINDING A JOB
Jim.

needajob01
14th Sep 2005, 21:58
yeah, looking for a job is like 14 times the 14 ATPL.

I really need a job (http://www.geocities.com/ineedajob01)