PDA

View Full Version : Charter and Toursit Av. Companies for New Commercial Pilots

aduma
12th Sep 2005, 08:37
Hi all,
I am a private pilot studying out of Bankstown Aiport in Sydney, and will soon be coming up to the time of getting my commercial license.
Then entering the huge world of Aviation.

I am trying to find Charter and Tourist flight companies around Australia that i can get my name to, however am struggling to find some names. Maybe i am just not looking in the right places.

I was hoping some of you could help me out with some names. That would be awesome.

Regards,

Andrew

Woomera
12th Sep 2005, 10:55
Aduma

This subject has been done to death more times that I've had Sunday dinners.

There are threads (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180763) and threads (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=188205) on this very subject.

Please use the search engine and carry out your own research.

Woomera

aduma
12th Sep 2005, 11:52
Hi Woomera.
My apologise.
Just new to this forum so i haven't realised.

Andrew

Hi Woomera,
just had a read of the threads, and still haven\'t got any positive business names that i could apply for.
Maybe i\'m not looking in the right places.

Could any please help out a fellow PPL holder?

Andrew

ThoughtCrime
12th Sep 2005, 12:41
I find it incredible you can find NOTHING.

Invariably someone posts a question like this every week! Plus if you asked around wherever you did your flying surely you would get some idea....

Perhaps you should start with the yellow pages....

- TC

aduma
12th Sep 2005, 12:44
Hi TC.
Just browsed through all the threads on this forum and have managed to scruff up a few names.
However all of them need alot of flying experience for employment.

My flying school has given me a few good names. However would like to take as many opportunities available to me.

Regards,

AD

pilot4life
12th Sep 2005, 13:12
This is the best I can offer mate, having done so myself along with many others:

Choose a possible low time requirement tourist town in the Kimberly to base yourself (eg: Broome, Kununurra, Halls Creek, Derby, Fitzroy Crossing). Research the towns and the various operators, and make a decision!! Best time to get to town in the Kimberley is between November - February. The earlier you arrive, the sooner you are most likely to get a look in.

When you arrive in town get yourself a non-flying job where you will meet people (bar, hotel etc). Everyone has about the same experience - between 200 and 300TT. The most important asset you can have is being a good bloke that the boss could have a beer with and that passengers would get along with.

Operators include:

BROOME
King Leopold Air
Broome Air Services
Broome Aviation

KUNUNURRA
Slingair
Alligator Airways

HALLS CREEK
Oasis Air

FITZROY CROSSING
Geikie Air Charter

DERBY
Golden Eagle

All the best mate, and to all those thinking of heading up north good luck. You'll have the time of your life.

P4L

aduma
12th Sep 2005, 13:25
P4L you are a saviour.

Just what i have been looking for.

Is it ok if i ask you a few more questions about Moving Up North in WA?

DO you think it is necessary to move over there before you get a flying job?

I just think its a bit risky especially if you're not garunteed anything, if you know what i mean.

AD

Mainframe
12th Sep 2005, 14:09
Aduma

Only coz you're new and a bit unaware.

Pilot4life has given you good information.

Here's a bit more. Forget about sending out resumes, they will, at your experience level,
just go in the bin and wont warrant a reply. Sorry if that's harsh, but that's how it works.

OK, so that means you have to leave home, friends, your comfort zone and actually turn up in person.
Bring your resume with you, you can hand it over if asked, if not, save it for the next interview.

Checklist before departure:

1. Dangerous Goods Awareness Certificate.
(can't fly pax or freight without one, hard to arrange getting one in the bush.)

2. WAC charts for the area you are targetting, again hard to get outside the big smoke

3. CDMA mobile phone: Your GSM one will probably only be useful as an alarm clock.

You can port your existing phone number across to CDMA with either Telstra or Optus.

Every community in the bush with over 500 popn has a CDMA cell,
and all support CDMA 1X for high speed data (up to 150 KB's) for your laptop.

4. Hospitality or fruit / vegie picking skills / experience, see other post.

5, A resilient attitude to handle the knockbacks until the job happens, which it will eventually, but not on your timetable.

6. A couple of white shirts, and a couple of blue shirts, to cover the possibilities

7. Some Cessna 200 familiarisation prior to heading off.

DUXNUTZ
13th Sep 2005, 05:23
In the NT and Qld:

NT:

Northern Air Charter - Piston singles/Multi

Air Ngukurr - Piston singles/Multi (maybe turbine)

Air Frontier - Singles/Multi

Chartair - Singles/ Multi

QLD:

Savannah Aviation - usual stuff

Air Mt Isa/Westwing Aviation - more experience necessary but could get lucky!

Miscellaneous stuff near Cairns. - Again usually IFR so more exp.

I think alot of operators like the 500-700hr min these days (instructing/meat bombing/private flying) but you at the end of the day its up to the chief pilot and can be waived for the 'right' person.

Generally the guys i met on the trek north had a trade that they could find work in while they waited for a flying gig, or had previous work experience and were quite well rounded. I got a job with low hours and no 200 series experience so if i could then you can too. Be positive and have a good attitude and it will all fit into place!

Sitting in the pool at the backpackers (with the backpackers ) :O and having a beer while watching the thunderstorms in the distance was one of the better times while on the job hunt.

As has been said before, we've all been there!

Good luck and pm if you would like further info.

cheers

-ItsNUTZ!

p.s If you do the drive up make sure you have a reliable, simple to work on car for the trek up north. i.e commodore/falcon and remember the jerry!

tinpis
13th Sep 2005, 05:31
:uhoh: He sounds a bit young fer Darwhine....

:hmm: *...waits fer Bagot reserve post * http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cannibal.gif

aduma
13th Sep 2005, 07:47
Hi All!
Thank you to DUXNUTZ and Mainframe for their awesome input to this thread. You guys have helped me out heaps.
Have learnt that i must leave my comofrt zone and find a job before finding a flying gig wherever i want to go by the sounds of it.

Darwhine?
Where is that?

Andrew

AIRWAY
13th Sep 2005, 07:51
----
Darwhine?
Where is that?
---

:} :} :}

Tinpis will be offended by such response :ok: :E :\ :ooh:

Capt L
13th Sep 2005, 11:17
Nobody seems to have mentioned smaller operators. If you can, get in your car and head out on a road trip! Make your way towards the Kimberley, but stop at every airstrip along the way. You never know when they might need a pilot. As everyone says it's all about being in the right place at the right time!!

Good luck

TwinNDB
14th Sep 2005, 03:14
This has got to be a wind up - hasnt it?

Darwhine?
Where is that?

Seriously! :hmm: :confused: :}

aduma
14th Sep 2005, 03:46
Excuse my ignorance.. lol, but seriously guys where is this Darwhine?
You're not talking about Darwin are you?
I've Googled it and all, and still no luck.

AD

Chocks Away
14th Sep 2005, 03:57
Mate, can I recommend you wait awhile, do alot of reading and research first, THEN ask the questions. A Google search is no substitute for read knowledge or maturity.

There are many other ways to seek out and find Company names and addresses.
Don't expect it to fall on your lap or people to hand it to you (ie on here.) especially when dollars/a job is concerned. Get street smart - how many other people around Oz (& the world) do you think are reading this thread, taking it all in, saying nothing and applying to those companies mentioned above???!:hmm:
Think about it!
Find a register of Australian Charter Companies and use the phone!

OpsNormal
14th Sep 2005, 05:58
Why is it that when someone asks a valid question the vitriol starts to flow at a million miles an hour? Why can't those of you put the same effort into helping someone as you do trying to wear them down. The only thing you lot wear down is your respective knobs... and everyone elses's patience from listening to you whinge.

Anyway.... aduma do a quick search of D+G using key words like "first job" "hire/hiring" "Jobs" "Whispers" etc. You'll be amazed what pops up when you start getting creative with your search terms.

Also look up a couple of posters by the name of "Kimberleybound", "Jex" and "The Goss". The last one I can tell you (no I am not going to let on how I know ;) ) was trying to do a good thing for people in your position, but had to can it due to a minority whinging about not being included.... :mad:

Try Here: (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=2149545&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

There is much to be found, all you have to do is dig in the right place.

OpsN. ;)

aduma
14th Sep 2005, 06:02
Hey OpsN.

Thank you soooo uch for your help first of all
and second of all for your support.

All the criticism i take in stride i guess. I hear it is quite a big thing in the industry im keen to get into.

But on the other hand, isn't it the same in all industries?

Just the same still find aviation the greatest and most unique industry in the world. Can't wait to become a part of it.

Thank you for all your help so far!

AD

limpwindsock
14th Sep 2005, 06:49
Here is a tip:

King Leopold Air (Broome) will hire you with about 250hrs if you stick around, work in town and present as a reasonable, keen person.

Kakadu Air (Jabiru) and Air Frontier are operators that might offer you a start.

Always remember your first job is one no one else with a little bit of expereince wants.

DO NOT GO TO KUNNUNURRA. DO NOT ENTERTAIN THE THOUGHT OF GOING TO KUNNUNURRA. DO NOT PASS THROUGH KUNNUNURRA. THIS PLACE WILL WASTE YOUR TIME AND ENERGY.

Try skydiving companies or cattle stations.

DO NOT PHONE ANYONE with 250 hours, its about as fruitful as asking a Bali local for directions. Visit them in person and get to know them. It will be a mate that gets you your first job, no one else wants to give you the break they never got.

Happy hunting

:ok:

aduma
14th Sep 2005, 07:02
Cheers limpwindsock for your awesome advice.

Can i ask what is so bad about Kunnunnara>

AD

tinpis
14th Sep 2005, 07:18
:{ :{
Excuse my ignorance.. lol, but seriously guys where is this Darwhine?

aduma
14th Sep 2005, 07:20
Sorry tinpis,
but i really WANT TO KNOW!

AD

disco_air
14th Sep 2005, 12:40
limpwindsock :

Your spelling of Kununurra possibly indicates a lack of knowledge of the town so I doubt your advice is credible.

Kununurra is definately worth a visit along with all the rest of the previously mentioned locations.... there are many posters on Prune who will agree it aint a bad place to work (at least initially!) - both the main companies pay award salaries which is more than you can say about other places.

As for Air Frontier - would steer clear of that place unless you like working second jobs while 6 days a week in the hangar just to be able to eat.

...Disco

18 foot pek pek
14th Sep 2005, 22:20
defi·nite·ly adv.
defi·nite·ness n.

Usage Note: Definite and definitive both apply to what is precisely defined or explicitly set forth. But definitive most often refers specifically to a judgment or description that serves as a standard or reference point for others, as in the definitive decision of the court (which sets forth a final resolution of a judicial matter) or the definitive biography of Nelson (that is, the biography that sets the standard against which all other accounts of Nelson's life must be measured).

nohumbug
15th Sep 2005, 01:35
Tinpis , can you please please please please post the bagot community add ...again. This lad might need a place to stay :} i need a pre build-up - cheer up":\ :\

Sexual Chocolate
19th Sep 2005, 05:39
From what I hear frontier want you to do 3 mths in the hangar and 3 mths in the o0ffice before you go on line getting f*ck all hours backposted in the middle of god knows where.

As for KNX tends to vary a little from year to year. Had a mate who scored a job with Alligator in '04 and reckons that by May / June they and Slingair were so shart on crew that they were actually ringing guys and offering jobs over the phone. On the other hand, I hung out there for 2 months earlier this year and with 500hrs & plenty 206 time couldn't even get a check flight. Word was there were 40 or 50 guys also in town doing the same thing on top of the 50 or so who managed to get a job.....

pakeha-boy
21st Sep 2005, 01:22
tinpis...you are such a tease...just tell the boy:} :} :} :}

Alistair
21st Sep 2005, 08:37
'darwhine' adj - noise commonly heard emanating from pubs containing members of the aviation fraternity, particularly the unemployed, in the tropical north.

'darwine' - a particularly fine concoction with a rather fruity bouquet containing a hint of elderberry and pleasant nutty flavours, from the central northern vinyards of Australia

'whine' ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hwn, wn)
v. whined, whin·ing, whines
v. intr.
To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
To complain or protest in a CHILDISH fashion.
To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch: jet engines whining.

v. tr.
To utter with a whine.

see 'darwhine' 'darwine'

3RAR
3rd Oct 2005, 02:20
You got it all above there mate. As you can see there are plenty of people out there in the industry willing to help. There is the odd yobbo but you can see from all the replys they are in the minority.

Wommera, Dose being a moderator give you the right to moderate to your own taste? If someone asks a legitimate question, perhaps we, as registerd members should be allowed to reply as we see fit. This guy is new, wants info, but you feel he has no right to ask????? Dose that mean we have no right to answer? Looks like a popular enough post to me to be justified.

Good luck in your next business venture.

Oliver Klozof
3rd Oct 2005, 06:54
Aduma,

Some good advice from those who have done it before you.

To get yourself started, just hit the yellow pages online under “aircraft charter & rental services”. You can also use the CASA air operator listing here (http://www.casa.gov.au/casadata/aoc/index.htm) . Keep in mind that a number of these listings will be in the name of the AOC holder and not a trading name, but some simple research will sort that out. You can also use the info you get from there to find out what aircraft types they operate from here (http://www.casa.gov.au/casadata/regsearch/findairs.asp) . Again, the CoR holder won’t necessarily be the operator, but it’s a start.

Good luck.

Woomera
3rd Oct 2005, 09:09
The only reason I have let this thread go on so far is there has been a bit of a renewal of the current goss and I'm waiting for tinpis other shoe to drop.:p :rolleyes:

But unless it (the shoe) does soon, the click gets closer.:eek:

See above D & G thread.

wrongwayaround
5th Oct 2005, 14:24
I moved to the Kimberley with a bare CPL (less than 200 hours). Walked out with thousands of hours and some great experience in heavy single engine Cessna's.
And what did it cost me? Only a few months of waiting for a job. Blessed are those who perservere
:ok:

maxgrad
6th Oct 2005, 00:33
Heavy single Cessna's. Your supposed to untie those concrete block thingys prior to start up:E
Did you get twin work as well?

gatfield
8th Oct 2005, 11:56
Woomera,

You forgot your apostrophe of possession (tinpis').

I request a moderator with good grammar.

One that is not intolerant of newbees.

And one that doesn't have a hidden agenda. :ooh: