PDA

View Full Version : old aircraft over the sound of mull

smudgethecat
11th Sep 2005, 16:19
i was on a scuba diving trip to mull last week, during last sunday or monday afternoon we were in the boat in the sound kitting up to dive when our boat was buzzed by what appeared to be a second world war era single radial engined aircraft somewhat similiar to a blackburn skua it approached us virtually at sea level before climbing at the last minute and flying off north over ardumurcan, it had a crew of two who appeared to be wearing military style white helmets and it had i think a military type reg, anyone any ideas? i would be really interested in finding out exactly what it was ,cheers guys

helicopter-redeye
11th Sep 2005, 17:17
Ring or email Brendan Walsh at the Glenforsa Hotel and ask him (or Paul at Oban airfield).

Between them they know every movement in the Sound ...

h-r:)

treadigraph
11th Sep 2005, 21:52
Yak 50 or 52 perchance? Plenty around...

CosmosSchwartz
11th Sep 2005, 22:15
There was a WW2 bomber flying round the area last tuesday, ATC mentioned it but I can't remember what type they said it was. You could always call Scottish:ok:

grow45
13th Sep 2005, 16:04
Probably to do with the Islay Airport open day on Sunday 4 September - http://www.hial.co.uk/Default.aspx.LocID-014new16w.RefLocID-01402w00h.Lang-EN.htm.

Single radial engined aircraft l believe was a Nanchang CJ6 - actually from the 80's. The BBMF Lancaster was also in the area night stopping at Glasgow on the way to a show in Northern Ireland.

g45