PDA

View Full Version : Holidaying in New Zealand

Lasiorhinus
11th Sep 2005, 13:06
I'm planninga trip to New Zealand over the coming summer, and have been thinking a fair bit about hiring an aeroplane and doing a tour around the countryside, partly for fun, partly to build hours, and partly to fly in different airspace to Australia.
Yeah, I'm an Aussie, Ive never flown in NZ before, but I have already validated my license with the NZ CAA.
Can any other intrepid aviators share any pieces of information that I'm not likely to know, or things that you wish you'd known before trying something similar?
No, I can't speak Maori, either...
Many thanks,

turbolager
12th Sep 2005, 10:30
mate, go do some mountain flying with the wakatipu aeroclub in queenstown. Its very serious countryside, dont go down there solo in a rented 152! go for a ride with a local C cat first (=grade 3) first. A completely un-australian experience, you'll love it. You can fly around all day down there with nothing but snow and rocks out the windscreen, and above you. Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers are well worth the mission, some great mountain valley passes out of q town to get out there too. Best flying in NZ I reckon, have fun!

Lasiorhinus
12th Sep 2005, 14:44
Thanks!!

So, where do I get my paws on the local maps and charts? I cant seem to find their version of AsA.

turbolager
12th Sep 2005, 21:54
It's all run by a big cash cow called Airways NZ Ltd. go here:
IFIS (http://airways.co.nz/airways_Services/pilot_information.asp)

and you can register free for IFIS, our GA flight planning and weather/notams system. You can log in and see what our wx/notam packs look like, its all free, ring Airways they can set you up. Flight plans will cost you about $50 a go I think, for VFR. You might get a SARWATCH cheaper, or free, I dunno.

Airways are the official publisher as well, go here Airways Publishing (http://airways.co.nz/airways_Services/publishing.asp).

Check with the aeroclub or wherever you rent from first if you're on a budget you can probly borrow some instructors charts.

The AIP is our big set of manuals with everything you need to know. Definately worth a read, we do things a bit differently in some ways compared to Australia.
AIP online (http://www.aip.net.nz/)

you can read it all free on that site, no need to pay for a printed set.

I cant be much more specific about differences, I havent done enough VFR flying both sides of the ditch to compare. Some of the instructor types around here probly know more. If you are travelling IFR though, there are major differences in Visual Approach criteria, you'll find NZ much less restrictive than CASA in that respect. Have fun!

turbolager.

piontyendforward
12th Sep 2005, 23:56
Turbo From the IFIS web site

Internet Flight Information Service (IFIS) is free of charge except for filing VFR flight plans

• Fax On Demand is free
• VFR flight plans on the Internet cost NZ$4.50 + GST
• VFR flight plans filed by phone, fax or on frequency cost NZ$6.50 + GST

Sarwatch is not available anymore.

Agree with the others on the South Island flying, but would recommend that you do grab a local pilot to fly with you if it is the first time in mountains. It is not hard but different if you are used to big spaces.

Lots of good places to fly to, PM me if you want some more info.

Regards Pionty

NZCPL
14th Sep 2005, 08:09
Check your personal messages!

Irishwingz
14th Sep 2005, 13:04
Great city, lots of bars, birds and cheap restaurants.

Wellington Intl - check out the Wellington Aero Club. Good value rentals and a real friendly place in a busy airport with a big general flying area 10 mins flight away or hop over to the south island in 20 mins. I flew there for a year.

www.flywellington.co.nz

Plus, They even have a cheaper bar with a new plasma screen TV that you can watch the All Blacks kick the Aussies around the field!

Lasiorhinus
15th Sep 2005, 04:38
Sounds good.. Wellington is probably where I'll hire from, I'll be beginning my trip from that part of the country.

What's the North Island like for flying? Not quite the mountainous peaks of the South island, but not the vast expanses of the West Island, either...

Jack Sprat
16th Sep 2005, 12:05
From Wellington, I'd suggest a trip north up the east coast. If you have time, stop / overnight in Napier. Distances and times are nothing compared to the GAFA. From there, continue up the east coast. Its sparsely populated with lots of magic little beaches. Personally I love flying the East Cape to Tauranga leg - its isolated and great coastal scenery. From there, south to Rotorua. Possible overnight. Talk to a local about the scenic trails over volcanic bits and have a stooge about there. (If time is a factor, give the rest of the north a miss although the Bay of Islands north of Auckland is well worth a look. Close your eyes as you go past Auckland, its just a city so nothing worth seeing. Its full of JAFAs. (Just another Aucklander)) From Rotorua, go south to Lake Taupo, over to the west coast to New Plymouth, scoot around Mount Egmont and drift back to Wellington. Its a great round trip taking approximately 6-7 hrs flying time.

NZLeardriver
16th Sep 2005, 12:24
If you get a chance, Tauranga is a nice town, and beautiful to fly into too.

Luxe
19th Sep 2005, 04:46
Wakatipu Aero Club in Queenstown is definitely worth the trip, an instructor or safety pilot will accompany you into Milford Sounds or over the glaciers, either of which will be unlike anything you've tried before. Their website is www.flying.co.nz