PDA

View Full Version : "Pilots hurt in crash-landing" @ Jandakot

Pass-A-Frozo
10th Sep 2005, 02:40
TWO pilots walked away with minor injuries after a plane crash-landed today at Perth's Jandakot Airport.

The pilots were attempting to land at the general aviation airport in the southern suburb when the incident happened about 10.30am (WST).
"It would appear the plane has crash landed at the eastern end of the runway," a police spokesman said.

The plane came to rest in a sandy area at the edge of the runway, he said.

The pilots were able to walk away from the crash and were receiving treatment for minor injuries at the command centre of the Royal Flying Doctor Service, also at Jandakot Airport.

Three Fire and Emergency Services Authority vehicles responded to the incident, along with two ambulances.

The cause of the crash is not yet known.

4SPOOLED
10th Sep 2005, 02:53
anyone know which A/C and what company it was?

gaunty
10th Sep 2005, 03:06
China Southern Grob, totalled, minor injuries, call by local Mayor for Govt to buy back homes built close to the airport.

Pass-A-Frozo
10th Sep 2005, 03:14
I suppose JANAG will be saddling up their high horse again.

OzExpat
10th Sep 2005, 05:57
Hey gaunty, would they be the same houses that were built close to the airport in the knowledge that the airport was there first? Sounds like Jandakot must be the only place in the world like that eh? :}

Surely the same thing hasn't happened at places like New York and London eh? ;)

Pass-A-Frozo
10th Sep 2005, 07:36
I like the people who are 50 meters off the end of the runway then complain the aircraft keep flying "right over my house"
:yuk:

gaunty
10th Sep 2005, 08:41
Airports been there 40 years houses maybe 10 so we have to shift the airport, yes.:{

Most places in the world covenant the area around the airport either repurchasing, banning new development or requiring special conditions for noise insulation, such as double glazing and insulation material in the roof space and indemnification for damage.

You'd have thought they'd learnt from the old railway days.

If you've ever been woken out of a deep sleep in the middle of the night in a hotel room (it was hot and I had the window open) that backs on to the railway track carrying the local Intercity express (I swear it was less than a metre from the window) with whistle at full blast for the Xing next door, you'll know what I mean. :{ Took another bottle of Scotch to get my heart rate down below 150.:rolleyes:

4SPOOLED
10th Sep 2005, 08:51
I know one of the instructors there, so i hope it wasnt him that it happened to.... i spose i will find out when i am down at YPJT tomorrow...:(

I also heard that it landed near the houses before the dunes in front of the 24 approach..so they must have been a fairway out when it happened 'cause those grobs seem to be quite slick, so i would imagine they would glide pretty well.

Might waken up some of the instructors down there to tighten up those circuits though, especially the blue tailed boys, i hate following them in the circuit for this reason.......

john_tullamarine
10th Sep 2005, 09:51
... can't understand wide circuits in training aircraft (probably something to do with my eyesight getting worse with age... can't see the aerodrome) ... can recall my first circuit flog in a 685 years ago .. raised the other guy's eyebrows when he couldn't even see the aerodrome from the RHS (other than out of his side window) ... don't think we went outside the aerodrome boundary in shooting a few circuits for fun ... guess I just wasn't any good at keeping up with a big Shrike on steroids ....

.. and I can't get out of my mind this vision of Gaunty on Rocinante in full Cevantes regalia .... bottle of Port in a brown paper bag in the Cantina with coffee cups works well also, mate ...

Oz .. I think it might have been Erik Lund from Boeing, about 25 years ago over a coffee ... observed that conventional wisdom had it that

(a) you find a big paddock a million miles from town

(b) build an aerodrome

(c) 20 years later

(d) all the folk in the houses abutting the aerodrome are screaming for it to be closed down ....

Stiff Under Carriage
10th Sep 2005, 10:25
those grobs seem to be quite slick, so i would imagine they would glide pretty well
Whilst they might be 'slick' looking, but all that means it they look fast, says nothing about how it should glide. Ever looked at the cross section of a Grob wing, they need a lot of the 'v' in (CL × ˝rho × V˛ × S) too stay airborne because it certainly does not have a lot of Camber, so you could say they don't glide that well. Flown one once too, and believe me, they don't. Also trying to make the field with a 20-30kt headwind does not exactly increase your chances either, so the circuit spacing was probably no further than would normal.

Guys, also remember hindsight has 20/20 vision.

Bula
10th Sep 2005, 10:49
now lets see..... take the radius of a seneca turn doing 120-135 kts, the timing it takes for the blue finned guys to follow to extremely wide circuits followed by a final approach speed of 115-90 at the thresholds, multiply that by the hell slow approaches of most of the other training aircraft, divide that by the size their ciruits and the need to be able to provide seperation on final =

you could kiss the ass of a seneca in the circuit and still have plenty of room to roll onto final and have the seneca having done its touch and go and be early downwind.......... :ok:

crosshairs
10th Sep 2005, 18:31
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Might waken up some of the instructors down there to tighten up those circuits though, especially the blue tailed boys, i hate following them in the circuit for this reason.......
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear 4spooled,

I have no idea how you can substantiate your claim that the "blue tailed boys" fly wide circuits, if that is indeed what you are implying. Being a "blue tailed boy" myself, all I can say is that we are encouraged by our instructors to fly tight circuits, reason being that in case of an engine failure, we will be within glide distance from the R/W.

Being particular about your circuits, you do know that you can avoid following certain aircrafts, don't you?

In fact, I thought it is a widely known fact in JDK that the Grobs fly wider circuits than most, due to some policy we do not fully understand.

We will check around with our boys and remind them not to get in your way. Hope that solves the problem, if any.

Br.Muzzy
10th Sep 2005, 23:40
Sheeeeez!....... Yarpies!!!!

bbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Stiff Under Carriage
11th Sep 2005, 00:37
Bula,

I think you totally miss understood WHO '4SPOOLED' was talking about, 'blue tailed boys' , I also immediately thought Seneca. There is one more operator that fits the same description to which engine failure and glide would apply to in the same sentence, I'll give you a hint, they fly C172's, I can't see how engine failure and glide would affect a Seneca, they have a back up. I'm also pretty sure everyone knows too that a twin needs to fly a slightly larger circuit. Its all proportional to speed.

As for the Grob's policy to fly wider circuits than most others, thats how unvalidated rumours start. The is no such policy boys. Probably misunderstood as the Grob will out climb (1000'/min) any trainer in JT and so often req's to extend upwind too prevent cutting in on that C152 which is still staggering through 200', meanwhile the following Grob is already at 500' ready to turn.

Cheers, Stiffy:E

Pass-A-Frozo
11th Sep 2005, 18:26
How's this for an idea. Do oval circuits and not rectangular ones and your circuit is closer!

Oz .. I think it might have been Erik Lund from Boeing, about 25 years ago over a coffee ... observed that conventional wisdom had it that

(a) you find a big paddock a million miles from town

(b) build an aerodrome

(c) 20 years later

(d) all the folk in the houses abutting the aerodrome are screaming for it to be closed down

Yeah.. just look at RAAF bases. All of them were outer suburbs.

Skystar320
12th Sep 2005, 06:05
I have been watching this one real close. There are statements flying around at the present time saying when properties come on the market in the jandakot flight path that Jandakot airport should buy these properties and rezone them 'open space'

This is absolute bullsh*it, who was there first the airport if my memory serves me right then again it has failed a couple of times this year on memory.

Anyway what are your views should they do this?

4SPOOLED
12th Sep 2005, 07:37
Airport was there first, residants built in the area knowing that there is one of the busiest little pads in Aus through those trees...

and yeh the "blue tailed boys" do like to fly 172's :ok:

Never had a problem with anyone else, just kinda drives me nuts like when im downwind on 06, get told to follow cessna late downwind, sometimes i feel like replying "you mean the one over forrestdale lake.... or follow cessna early finals..."you mean the one over armadale"

slight exageration...but you get the picture, i spose the boys flying them have difficulty reading the BIG sign at entry in YPJT saying such things as "do not fly overly wide circuits" although to one of the instructors credit, one bloke was flying insanely wide, and when he gave his downwind call (he was almost at thompson lake) the tower had a whinge at him, and a instructor in another plane told him to land and taxi back.....

Bula
14th Sep 2005, 02:37
i getcha ... retraction :ok:

Signature
15th Sep 2005, 14:27
I think that everyone should decide if they would prefer a particular company (blue tail or grob) to fly consistant circuits, or the random cr@p the WE (blue tail and grob) have to teach around every day. Generally, us two, fly the fastest, or fastest climbing aircraft in the circuit. Sure, we are generally a little wider. We are pretty consistant though, so deal with it. I've never seen a blue tail, or grob fly final in the wrong direction (today on 24r, and they were a C152)... Remember, it's a training airport promarily. Professional pilots do not see out their finest hours of their careers flying tight circuits at YPJT. At least everyone else knows where to find the college traffic. From the two colleges' point of view, where the hell are you randoms going to be this time? You may have almost climbed to circuit ht by base! This arguement occurs at every GAAP...