PDA

View Full Version : Grob Crash at Jandakot

jandakotpilot
9th Sep 2005, 09:23
BDO crashed earlier today. Student and Instructor I have heard are ok.
Hit a tree in someones backyard next to the sandunes at the end of 24 when landing.
Plane looks in bad shape, lots of damage to the nose section.
All the residents on the news were complaining we all turn the engines off to our aeroplanes and we are all dangerous whenever we go flying.

Continental-520
9th Sep 2005, 11:37
Well, glad both are unscathed. Better done in a Grob than a B737, I suppose...hence the purpose of training I guess.

That's one reason why I don't want to be an instructor...and I'm not defacing it or diminishing instructing or instructors by saying that either. Quite the contrary, if anything.

Another for the yearly count at JT...

Bula
10th Sep 2005, 06:06
Jesus..... has a close look at the damage.... imagine if it were a C152. Thank god for fantastic plastic and insane structual stressing requirements

Ultralights
10th Sep 2005, 09:47
are there any pics of the damge you are talking about? good to hear all are OK!

Stiff Under Carriage
10th Sep 2005, 10:07
Be careful Bula!

Bula
10th Sep 2005, 10:52
no pics i can hand out boys but I've seen some pretty nast stuff happen to those grobs in my time there. The robustness of those things is amazing.

As for the comment about the C152... hahahah you all know its true, hurts doesn't it :}

jandakotpilot
10th Sep 2005, 15:28
You would have trouble walking out of it if it was a 152!!
Thats proof the Germans build their aircraft well!

Does anybody have any idea what caused the problem?

They were on approach to runway 24L.

Flew over the site today, they landed on the perimeter road along the extended centerline of 24L right next to the sandunes.

Oodnadatta
11th Sep 2005, 05:38
:) According to the local aviation expert local resident on the television news the other night the pilots were doing “Stall Starts”. Apparently this is dangerous and should not be done over a built up area. The pilot turns the engine off and then glides as far as they can then turns it back on again. It must be true because it was on the telly..!!:yuk:

Ultralights
11th Sep 2005, 05:51
with the cost of fuel these days, i think promlems with the dreaded Stall start circuit method will increase! i usually start my stall start procedure at TOD, saves a ****eload of fuel.

Chadzat
11th Sep 2005, 07:46
bah stuff that Ultralights, i just use the engine to get me rolling for takeoff then I turn the engine off and switch over to my hyperdrive generators.

Ultralights
11th Sep 2005, 08:04
hahaha, i used to do a similar thing, but i put my "Mr-Fusion" in my car! its easier to find rubbish on the road to fill er up

airway_manual
11th Sep 2005, 08:52
Can anyone give any information as to who was PIC at the time?

jandakotpilot
11th Sep 2005, 15:17
Gotta agree those stall starts get pretty hairy!
Just imagine if every a/c did an Engine failure after takeoff on 06R when flying circuits. To keep our skills up with ''Stall Starts'' flying right over the guy's house. The result would be quite comical!!

Btw. It' s the house with a brown roof!

Time Bomb Ted
11th Sep 2005, 23:15
Stall starts are an important part of learning to fly. How else could you possibly get 3 people into a C150, do low level acrobatics which scare the chooks and make daisy stop producing milk, if you don't practice your stall starts.

From the new Flight Instructor Manual:

Stall starts are completely different to push starts. Push starts are where the aircraft is pushed along the runway at great speed by both pilots until the enging catches and fires up. The aircraft may be towed by a motor vehicle attached to the tie down points on the wings. The stall start is completed whilst the aircraft is in the air and may be practiced over built up areas if the pilot can determine that no one is in the residences in question.

Pretty self explanitory if you ask me.

TBT

Zhaadum
12th Sep 2005, 13:25
Very funny guys. I luv it!

Pity the w@nker resident who mentioned stall starts on the telly will never read this forum, much less get the jokes!

Very funny to us in the industry though...

:ok:

Ultralights, I use the Flux capacitor myself to get to 88 mph, Great Scott!!!!! Now to explore the other great mystery of science....women!

Aunt Mavis
12th Sep 2005, 14:02
Saw that news report as well - quite amusing but alas has given the Johnnie come lately residents more ammo for their "Close YPJT" campaign - Tossa's all knew Jandakot was there when they moved in - simple answer - move out !

Gyro drifter
12th Sep 2005, 15:37
For anyone who hasnt seen the footage. Heres a picture capped from the channel 7 telecast.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~lbassett/grob.bmp

Gyro

jandakotpilot
13th Sep 2005, 01:03
That too close for comfort with the powerole!!!

Thx 4 the pic

jandakotpilot
15th Sep 2005, 10:24
Does anybody know what happened to it??

swh
15th Sep 2005, 11:04
Yes