PDA

View Full Version : Massey BAv pre-selection.

samcheong88
8th Sep 2005, 23:34
have anyone gone through the massey aviation interview and pre-selection before? I am going for the interview in about 2 months time.. I have heard that the intake is only 30 students in semester 1.. I am very concerned about my chances of getting into the course.. anyone care to share their experiences? Cheers!

Sqwark2004
9th Sep 2005, 00:55
Hey samcheong88,

Before this topic goes flying way off the end of runway, as all Massey related topics do, you may want to do a search on Massey.

There are hundreds of posts from those that have been through the system and those that have worked with the ones that went through the system.

It may be easier just to PM past students, you're more likely to get a straight answer than a discussion/argument that could easily be mistaken for the current political debate wars.

Good Luck

S2K4eva

samcheong88
9th Sep 2005, 05:42
lolx.. okies! :ok:

Capt. On Heat
4th Oct 2005, 05:58
Sammy88, don't do it to yourself!!!! There are plenty of other GOOD options. You're more likely to get a flying job if you own a parrot than having Massey training behind you!

(No politics Sqwark-honest!)

Random-Task
4th Oct 2005, 06:58
Years ago when Massey first thought up an excuse to turn this into a degree I foolishly applied, did the tests, but thankfully was warned through members of this forum about the outfit and given a list of reasons not to go so long that it makes Tommy Lee's... yeah anyway... we'll just say it was a big list. I raised my concerns with the course co-ordinator and withdrew dispite her dangling all kinds of promises infront of me to stay.

Even more foolishly I had forgotten this advice a year later and reapplied. Thankfully, having already done a whole host of pointless "multi-tasking" and "hand-eye" simulations the previous year, I only had to sit through a joke of a flight sim and written exam the 2nd time through.

The flight sim consisted of keeping the aircraft level, going up, going down, and turning. I could of done whatever I wanted to on that sim, they really wouldn't of cared. Then came the exam.. the topic? "Why Massey should accept me into the BAv course" .. Well now I thought, this sounds strange, I'm about to give these jokers well over $70k of my money and they want me to justify why they should let me? Even the fact that they had gone from the position of convincing people to stay to a position of making you work for a spot astounded me.

Least to say my essay was top knotch. I repeated the list as long as Tommy Lee as to why I shouldn't go given to me a year earlier and neatly concluded that me paying them was reason enough. The funny bit? I got a letter of acceptance a week later!

Happily withdrew from the course once more and haven't looked back since :ok: Be wise, do as much research as you can, and seriously consider investing your money elsewhere.

iceblock
4th Oct 2005, 07:23
Yes all very good points and whole subject has been done to death.

Of course "years ago" can't have been that long ago as I never encountered the "essay". As with any selection process promising nothing for something ($70,000+) you have to carefully research what they are offering and hold them accountable through the interview and question time. Lets be honest the whole selection process is a ruse and you need to take control and satisfy your own expectations on what you want out of it.

I fear as time goes on the Massey programme is getting less and less like value for money and more and more like bullocks.

Note: I am not entering into a debate on the Massey programme as such, just the viability compared to other options since I did it.