PDA

View Full Version : Lookout!!

waveydavey
7th Sep 2005, 21:02
A colleague of mine very recently had a strange incident. She was in her house when she heard a loud bang. On investigation she found the entire garden covered in what seemed to be crushed ice and a 8" x 8" deep hole in the garden.
Now all we could think of was that it came off a plane as there is no other way it could have got there I can see. She called the airport and was told that if the ice was not coloured then don't worry as it often happens.... is that correct?
I would have worried had I been stood underneath it.....

Unwell_Raptor
7th Sep 2005, 21:20
It is very cold and sometimes moist up there at 30,000 feet. Ice gathers, and eventually falls off.

Blue ice is coded language for the effluvia from the aircraft toilet, blue being the disinfectant.

So if it hits you on the head the colour doesn't matter. If it misses you and you avoid eating it, the colour doesn't matter either.

waveydavey
7th Sep 2005, 21:23
But does it form in such large lumps that it would make such a big hole on impact?

Kestrel_909
7th Sep 2005, 21:50
About 10 years ago, I found a block of ice about, about 12x12x12 inches that landed in the garden about 50ft from the house. I don't remember much of a hole in the ground but was definitely a sizeable chunk of ice.

Ranger 1
7th Sep 2005, 22:35
I See reports of "Ice falls" in the CAA MOR database, which is produced monthly under the heading of Falling object/s, sometimes the reports are quite interesting, they range from reports of holes in roofs to things such as effluent covering a car in drive way etc, although some not always related to aircraft.
These reports are taken very seriously & attempts are made to Identify the aircraft concerned by play back of Radar & transponder recordings, of aircraft in the area at the time.
One report I read stands out in my mind clearly it went like this:
Foul smelling lump of yellow brown Ice damaged patio roof sample retained by owner in deep freezer for analysis :E
I have seen a substantial build up of Ice from aircraft before, one I can remember very well, was a FK -50 which was leaking from the Domestic water service panel, about a half a wheel barrow load was removed from the underside of the aircraft before it could be fixed.& returned to service.
Waveydavey check you Private messages. :ok: