PDA

View Full Version : The facts?

tal113713
7th Sep 2005, 20:53
I'm in the middle of a crisis here. I'm starting grade twelve, and have evidence to support that I'm not good in any science or mathematical courses; based on last years marks. Anyway, I took a visit up to my university counselling office to try and determine what courses I should be taking this year to help set me up for a successful future in aviation, as a airline pilot. Well, needless to say I'm more clueless now then ever...

I'm aware that to be a pilot you require nothing more then the licences and endorsements required to suit the job. But I've also been told, it's best to obtain some type of degree or diploma which would increase my chances of landing a job with some carrier.

If my problem isn't apparent I'll try to make it simple. I have the impression that to be a successful airline pilot, flying the big jets, you would need some sort of advanced training. I'm not very good at advanced math or science. Which is required for any type of admission into a science related degree program. Hence... no degree.

So my question's are:

1. How would a pilot with just licences 'stand' in today’s industry? and Is there anyone who can speak from experience?

2. Is there anyone else out there not good at science related material... what non science related degrees/diplomas should I investigate obtaining?

Please help, thanks.

David

1800-how'smyflying
8th Sep 2005, 00:29
tal...

I'm just beginning my JAA CPL now. I started the PPL in October '04 after leaving school the previous June, and just finished the ATPLs in July.

In school maths and physics were my weakest subjects, but I found I had no difficulty learning what was needed for the exams. Maths and physics are a large part of some subjects like GNav, POF and Perf, but whether it was good instruction or my interest in the course, which I never had in school, I got through.

As for a degree, check the thread started 10 minutes after yours!

http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=189106

Good luck,