PDA

View Full Version : QF Cadet Pilot Scheme - Any Upper Age Limit?

Taildragger67
6th Sep 2005, 17:19
Hi all,

Just reading the blurb on the Qantas Cadet Pilot Training Scheme at http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/employment/pilotsCadetInfo

... and I notice the question:

Is there an age restriction in applying for the Cadet Program?
- Applicants for the 2006 Cadet Pilot Training Program must be aged 17 or greater at 1 March 2006. There is no maximum age limit.

I think they'd nave to say 'no upper limit' for anti-discrimination purposes but I'm just wondering if, in practice, there is likely to be an UPPER age limit on applicants. I'm late-30s and would love to get in.

What's the reality?

Thanks

TD67

Like This - Do That
7th Sep 2005, 02:57
TD67

The old Ansett cadet courses that ran until the mid 1990s at Tamworth wouldn't take on anyone older than 26 (? not sure precisely but something like that). Their response at the time was something along the lines of "we're a private training establishment and we're not subject to age discrimination laws - we're not offering jobs only training". But that's by the by ....

Did you notice the cost?!?!? "At least" $88k sans accomodation! Blimey! That's a lot to fork out with no guaranteed job at the end. In very very rough dollar per hour terms that's over $400/hour. That sort of money can buy a lot of hours, all the theory, exams, and R&Q for the term of a full time CPL / MECIR / ATPL theory course.

I suppose they get hundreds of applications:confused:

This isn't a rant about cadets ... if someone takes it on, gets through, good on 'em, congratulations ... but $88k!?!?!?

Hempy
7th Sep 2005, 03:01
The old Ansett scheme in Tamworth was around $100,000 in 1990's dollars :ouch:

Taildragger67
7th Sep 2005, 08:57
Like This...

I agree, it's a sh1tload... but my thinking would be that, two candidates equal except that one had been through the scheme, that candidate would have to be preferred.

I also would have to think that they wouldn't run such a scheme unless they forecast a requirement when the cadets get through??

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.

pistol_pete
7th Sep 2005, 13:30
I know of a guy who got into the Qantas cadets at age 34, hes a 747 S/O now. I'd say you have a reasonable chance.

Good Luck.

SM_YSSY
8th Sep 2005, 01:34
As far as I am aware there is no upper age limit, have also met a gentleman who was in his 30's when he was on course as a cadet.

I believe it is also illegal here in Australia to refuse employment on the grounds of being too old.

Farknel
8th Sep 2005, 05:14
When you get knocked back - and there is a good chance that you will be if you're in your late 30's, the official reason will be that your application was "Uncompetitive".

Best of luck,

Fark!

*Lancer*
8th Sep 2005, 06:34
I know there have been a few in their early to mid 30s go through... Many of the DE ex-Ansett drivers were in their 30s and 40s, so it can happen.

Soulman
9th Sep 2005, 15:25
One of the boys this year has a missus and a kid - so there's nothing stopping you.

Did you notice the cost?!?!? "At least" $88k sans accomodation! Blimey! That's a lot to fork out with no guaranteed job at the end. In very very rough dollar per hour terms that's over $400/hour. That sort of money can buy a lot of hours, all the theory, exams, and R&Q for the term of a full time CPL / MECIR / ATPL theory course.

Well - that's what it is - a 13 month course which takes you from zero to hero. From nothing to CPL/MECIR with ATPL's. And if you're good enough (which most of, if not all of them are), you get a nice job flying Metro's, Jetstreams, Dash 8's, Brasillia's - the world is your oyster! 2 years of this and then you jump in the back of a 744 of an A380.

Hell - last year's Cadets are off to Singapore and Toulouse on Tuesday - you guessed it - A320 ratings - let's fly Jetstar! Imagine that - going from a Seminole to a Scarebus?!?!

Good luck with your endeavours - be prepared to work hard, it definitely pays off.

Cheers,

Soulman