PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Problem

Maxflyer
5th Sep 2005, 09:14
I have a laptop that was working perfectly until this morning.

When you turn it on the screen is just black. After around two minutes of waiting, a message comes up on the screen, saying:

'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.'

I do not have the original setup cd. I have an XP cd that came with another pc. Can I use this?

All help gratefully appreciated.

MF

Coconutty
5th Sep 2005, 10:07
Hi Max ( again ! ),

Try this first - the "simple" solution ...

Power on the PC and keep hitting the "F8" key until the PC has passed it's power on self test when it should open up a menu with an option to select "Boot Using Last Known Good Configuration".

If you get this, select the option and the PC should boot up using the last known good configuration.

This doesn't always work though - it depends on what has gone wrong in the first place, so if not you'll have to move on to the less simple method as recommended by Microsoft here :

Recovery from corrupted registry... (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us)

Good luck - if you the first solution doesn't work I think you'll need it - I'd say if you need to use the XP CD that you have then try it - it will either work or it won't !

:ok:

Maxflyer
5th Sep 2005, 10:57
Thanks I'll try out your suggestions.

MF

Conan the Librarian
5th Sep 2005, 15:57
MF, if you DO need to loan a copy of XP then make sure that it is the correct version for your lappy, ie XP home versus XP Pro

Conan