PDA

View Full Version : B200 ALA design

Sheep Guts
5th Sep 2005, 01:55
Has anyone got any info on ALA s other than supplied by the CASA website? Does the RFDS have and info on gradients and soil types for their King Airs and PC12 s etc. Also if they factor ASDA into these strips? Anyadvice much appreciated?

My cluent is buliding us a strip at an elevation of 3000ft plus temps top out to 50 degrees C in summer, but the ground is rough as ever has large gravel the size of cricket balls.
No problem as this company is a contruction company and have all the equipement etc.

Regards
Sheep

any advice welcomed

P.S. this is not in Australia by the way, its in central asia

swh
5th Sep 2005, 03:45
Sheep,

You got more guts than most still to be in Afghanistan.

Strip Length
The distance required for landing and take off varies considerably with the strip surface type, wind, temperature, elevation above sea level and the weight of the aircraft at the time.

For reliable service, strips should be at least 1,000 metres long adding an additional 90 metres for every 1,000 feet above sea-level. Whilst landing on shorter strips is possible, it cannot be guaranteed at all times.

Strip Surface
As mentioned above, the surface of the strip affects the length required for take off and landing. The best surface is sealed bitumen and the worst surface long wet grass. Sealing a strip with bitumen is expensive and unless your airstrip is used for regular community access, we would not expect you to go to that expense.

You can help us by following these guidelines:

Grass surfaces should have the strip width slashed on a regular basis and cleared of any saplings, fallen logs or ant and termite mounds. Remember to trim around strip edge cone markers or white painted tyres used as strip markers so they are clearly visible to the pilot.

Gravel/clay surfaces should be clear of ruts, undulations, large rocks, ant and termite mounds and where possible regularly graded to remove livestock hoof prints and tyre ruts, especially after heavy rain.

The immediate 15 metres either side of the strip surface should be cleared of any obstacles including ant hills, tree stumps, large rocks or stones and fencing wire, to ensure minimal damage to the aircraft should it run off the strip during landing or take off.

The presence of holes, cracks and ruts will degrade the aircraft's performance and handling and will increase the possibility of structural damage. The smoothness of the surface can be tested by driving a fullen laden 3 tonne vehicle along the runway at a speed of 80 kph. If this is accomplished without discomfort to the occupants, the surface can be considered satisfactory.

Approach and take off areas
At either end of the landing site, the approach and take off areas should include of an area of 900 metres which is clear of objects including fences, trees, saplings and windmills above a slope of 3.3%. This means that a tree 100 metres from the strip end must not be any higher than 33 feet. Any obstacle in the approach of take off areas reduces the length available for landing and take off.

from http://www.flyingdoctorqueensland.net/index.cfm?MenuID=42

megle2
5th Sep 2005, 11:22
Ask for at least 1300m by 20m

Sheep Guts
5th Sep 2005, 14:02
Thanks very much guys. Going out to the site this week this time, to check it out. Our Chief pilot has suggested accelerate stop of 6000ft which is what calculated at 45 deg c and 3000ft. I operated in outback oz in the NT for many years previous but these conditionshere take the cake as far as heat. 50 deg c at Kandahar in Summer with 3329ft elevation. Our proposed site is similiar elev.

Thanks for the info SWH and megle2. It will all come down to affordable safety , this airstrip will be the site life blood so I think will get our way I hope.:ok:

Cheers Sheep

Islander Jock
5th Sep 2005, 16:24
Sheep Guts,
Check ya PMs

tinpis
5th Sep 2005, 19:43
Geezaz Sheepy paying for an endorsement is one thing but having to build your own airstrip???:}

Woomera
5th Sep 2005, 22:41
B200 = PT6A-42's? Don't think the -41 temps go that high?

Sheep Guts
6th Sep 2005, 01:58
Indeed Woomera,
Ive checked our figures here and the aircraft is not permitted past +37 ISA so at 3000 feet 46 degrees max which we adhere too. The environment here does call operating at the limits. It also affects single engine lift off capability, which then becomes a takeoff weight limitation.
So with all these factors 6000ft ASDA for runway length is really a necessity.

Yes Tinny I am good at getting myself in a pickle in this industry, unluckier than most I think. At least this job gives me the means to pay off my rating quicker than most:E .

Thanks for the advice everyone

Sheep

FYC
6th Sep 2005, 03:52
Try contacting Hawker Pacific as they are the Raytheon dealers in OZ and fly them on their AOC.
I know they often have ALA guides professionally created for them by Rob Potter.;)

tinpis
6th Sep 2005, 10:37
Awww shucks sheepy ..maybe yer can find ya self a flash lookin sheila there.
Hopefully before the local fuzzy faced ******** give her a port and polish.