PDA

View Full Version : RN Aircrew with hayfever...

DMackie
4th Sep 2005, 10:38
I was just wondering what are the rules for entry into the FAA for someone with hayfever? Do you get hayfever at sea? Does anyone know serving personnel with hayfver?

I have extremely mild hayfever and only suffer from it for a couple months of the year, by suffer i mean a few sneazes a day. I can sort it by putting vaseline on the end of my nose and drinking plenty of cold water.

I know i have to declare it on my application forms, do you think there is anyway i could pass the medical? I would be gutted if this ruined my dream.

Thanks for any help!

P.s No jokes about the navy and vaseline please :ok:

althenick
4th Sep 2005, 16:36
Dmackie.
It certainly didn't stop me getting in the RNR (I was checked out by regular Medical Staff) I assume it wouldn't matter for the Fleet air arm. The problem with Hayfever is that it can be a trigger to Asthma so my background was checked (Its given me chest infections but not asthma)
My father told me a story about Culdrose circa 1974. The Pollen count was so high that guys that usualy didn't suffer ended up at the sickbay with all the usual symptoms (Some even had breathing difficulties) It was so bad that the MO just left the issue of antihithstamine to the Duty Sick bay Attendant.

Oggin Aviator
4th Sep 2005, 20:47
Asthma a definate no no. Not sure about hayfever but don't think you can be aircrew if you have it. I may be wrong, you would need to check with your local careers office. If you are a heavy sufferer and have had civilian treatment for it it would be noted on your medical records therefore you would have to declare it.
Just be honest.

Good Luck.

Oggin

Kirkwall
4th Sep 2005, 22:10
Are you sure it is just hayfever as in grass pollen and not just a slight allergy to other irritants such as petroleum prodcts rubber, nickel (coins etc)? It may be worth trying to tie this down by illimination / testing.

I have always suffered very mild hay fever type symptoms which I am sure are triggered by such known common irritants (touching nose after handling coins etc). These slight iritations tend to be exaggerated in summer due to bright light etc, but of course the other potential trigger may be pollen. I have had tests done by a Medical Doctor with holistic tendencies and he has identified a small number of items which trigger a short term allergic response but more importanty, he has also identified other food product allergens which if avoided, have the effect of reducing the long term drain on the immune system. Through simple changes in diet and through a simple inexpensive plan of supplements (manily fish oils), I have found myself totaly free of any kind of hay fever type symptoms. Nail strength, skin and eyesight also improved too.

Incidentally, one of the items that I found I was allergic to (through blood tests) was a particular type of late flowering tree pollen.

It is probably the case that as with many people, poor modern diet, unnatural processed food, polutants etc have helped to compromise your immune system slightly. There are many clinics offering allergy testing, but the important thing is that you find a competent practitioner who can actally put together a supplement plan. Much of this kind of aproach to medicine developed in Eastern Europe, where they simply didn't have the money to buy drugs from the large pharma companies. Instead of treating symptoms when they appear with a magic bullet as we have tended to do in the west, they concentrated more on extensive testing (blood saliva stool) and trying to tack down dietry (mineral) defficiencies in order to allow the immune system to operate more effectively. This was developed in a big way during the soviet space race era too as they had to find ways to keep people fit and healthy for months at a time in space.

I have always discussed my minor allergies with my AME and he is quite happy. Other than in PPL days sitting in dusty grass airfields in the middle of summer, I don't feel that it has affected my flying (military and commercial) at all and if anything, working in a clean air pressurised environment helps. (However, see threads on or Google - AOPIS for debates on the "airborne clean air" environment).

I am not sure how military medics are these days, but if it is only minor then as the previous poster says, just be honest. I am sure they know fine that most people are allergic to something. If you really feel that you cannot operate without antihistamines, then maybe it will be a problem (and in my opinion, for your own sake, maybe you should look for underlying causes).

Oggin Aviator
4th Sep 2005, 23:14
Great post Kirkwall.

beerdrinker
5th Sep 2005, 05:36
Amazing the number of people (including aircrew) who have summer colds in June and July.

Pierre Argh
5th Sep 2005, 07:23
I was allergic to going to sea...

southside
5th Sep 2005, 08:28
I get hayfever and have had no problem in the FAA

Navaleye
5th Sep 2005, 08:43
Fortunately Sea Weed doesn't give off pollen :confused:

southside
5th Sep 2005, 11:12
Asthma a definate no no ....That may be the case in the RAF, AAC but not so in the FAA. Suffering from Asthma has never stoppped me. Just a couple of deep lungful of powder from my inhaler prior to my medical and jobs a good un.

greenhaven
5th Sep 2005, 12:14
In agreement with the above sentiments - usually pick up a pesky summer cold :cool: in June and July and is characterised by an increased susceptibility to 'Sea King Nose' (itchy nose caused by a particular airframe vibration harmonic - well that's my theory and i'm sticking to it!!) and the odd sniffle / sneeze.

Bad hayfever, ie streaming / puffy eyes, blocked sinuses etc i would suggest are a no-no...but if it's mild, then a 'summer cold' is fine i reckon.

ladyfly
5th Sep 2005, 12:54
No it won't, firstly stop getting it prescribed if you are, and buy it that way it won't be going on your medical record. I declared it and I just filled out a form was asked two or three quetions and then Cranwell cleared me for pilot. You usually need a four year clean medical record, but I didn't. And just something else to consider, my friend is at Dartmouth now and he has had prescriptions this year.

So don't worry, be honest.

Oggin Aviator
5th Sep 2005, 16:45
Southside ...

Its all very well having a lungful of stimulant just before a medical but what happens when you are low level over the oggin 120 miles from mum on a dark sh*tty night and you have an attack - I wouldnt want to be in your aircraft if that happens ......

.... and I would not authorise you to fly if I knew of your condition.

DMackie

From what ladyfly (someone who has recently been through the application process) says it looks OK if you are honest.

Good Luck

DMackie
5th Sep 2005, 19:46
Thanks for the post guys- much appreciated.

Yeah im going to be honest, the last thing i want is to be at Dartmouth and have problems and then be asked why i didnt declare it before!

Are RN Aircrew medicals held at Cranwell as opposed to Sultan? And do they have their own staff or is it the RAF personnel who do the Navys as well? A phone call is in order to get a definite answer.

Thanks again! :ok:

Cerberus
9th Sep 2005, 05:07
DM,

PM on th way.

Cerberus

southside
9th Sep 2005, 07:15
but what happens when you are low level over the oggin 120 miles from mum on a dark sh*tty night and you have an attack

Then I cop another lungful of stimulant ....it fits in my pocket...fab eh!

6Z3
9th Sep 2005, 07:30
Personally I would not declare it. If it is as minor as you suggest it is of no interest to the medics and only serves put an irrelevant question mark against DMackie's application. When it comes down to weeding out the last couple of very close applicants any question mark could end up as being the only available descriminator.

Once you are in, and particularly once you are trained, the system becomes remarkably tolerant of anyone's ailments.

That said, I trust DMackie isn't your name!!

The mother alligator
26th Sep 2005, 11:01
Cannot believe he wants to join FAA and mentions vaseline in his original post and no one's picked up on it.......:}

bumpy start
26th Sep 2005, 20:29
My advice would be to get a job lot of Clarytin and blame the local cat population until you're in. Once you're established then it all changes. Pusser will even perscribe the clarytin for free then..... Win Win!

PPRuNeUser0211
28th Sep 2005, 13:25
DM, did my initial medical at Haslar Hospital...., but not sure if that's closed down now? Anyone know!? As for annual medicals, guys just do them where they are at the time, Cranners, Linton, the Island or Shawbs... then onto front line wherever....

Pontius Navigator
28th Sep 2005, 18:48
From dim and distant memory I seem to remember there was a desensitising programme for hayfever. It was along the lines of desensitization for motion sickness.

Certainly once you have a price on your head (aircrew training) the system used to move heaven and earth to retain your skills. I remember one Vulcan captain back in the 60s who suffered a collapsed lung. Had his lung reattached to his rib cage and was cleared to fly multi-crew cockpit only. Made wg cdr and is still around and kicking.

N Arslow
28th Sep 2005, 22:23
...I seem to remember there was a desensitising programme...

I guess that was what the vaseline was for...