PDA

View Full Version : X-Plane flight sim Oz database ?

The Wawa Zone
4th Sep 2005, 03:53
Yo, I've got a good flight sim program called IFT Pro, however it's DOS based and when I upgraded from Windows 98 SE to XP Pro, that sim program locks up the computer requiring a reboot, so it may be on its way to the bin.

I'm looking at X-Plane as a replacement package, but don't know if it has / how good is the Oz navaid databse. Has anyone tried this ?

I need it for renewal prac and doing prac approaches before going someplace on a CHTR ( CPL MECIR blah blah), so it needs to be a useful package and not just a game (anything with an SR71 on the box looks pretty suss). I don't give a rat's about the scenery.

Any ideas ?? Thanks in advance from The Wawa Zone..

PLovett
4th Sep 2005, 04:34
Wawa

Eh, Wawa! U bin drivin modaplane wid puter.

I have used both version 5 and 7 on my Mac. It will run on both Macintosh and PC computers. Version 7 requires a lot of computer speed otherwise it shuts the vision down so much that it resembles flying in a fog. Version 5 is fine.

The graphics on version 5 are OK but not brilliant. Version 7 was better. I believe version 8 has just been released.

As to the data base, mostly it is OK for Oz. With X-Plane software it also gives you access to alter the information. For example, if there has been a frequency change for a navaid you can alter the data base accordingly.

You can also design your own aircraft and alter the scenery if the mood takes you that way as well.

I still use version 5 (it has a Baron as one of the aircraft - version 7 dropped it) and the biggest problem with it is that the scenery is a bit generic (Sydney Mascot floats just offshore for example as does Darwin but then that may just be a comment about the place!).

The main strength of the software is that the aircraft are supposed to handle very near to the real thing. I have had to fiddle a bit with the Baron power settings to get very similar results to reality but it is very close.

Hope some of this helps.

swh
4th Sep 2005, 05:01
Consider ASA Ontop..

Cessna C172, C182 and C182RG, PA28/R, Lancair, Mooney Bonanza, Baron and Beech 1900D.

Worldwide nav database, good review of flight path.

Can induce failures, and weather. Its not a game, so outside the cockpit views are not that flash. The instrunment panel rendering is on par with elite, for about 1/10 of the price.

Pentium-class processor (200 Mhz or faster for Win98/ME, 300MHz or faster for Win2000/XP)
Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP
DirectX Version 8.1 or later, (DirectX V.8.1 is included on the OT8 CD).
64MB RAM (Win98/ME), 128MB (Win2000/XP)
20-35MB hard drive space, depending on the type of installation performed.
CD-ROM Drive
800x600 SVGA video adapter and monitor
Windows DirectX-compatible sound card and speakers
Mouse
Joystick or yoke

InTransit
4th Sep 2005, 10:44
It's been on a "special" for quite some time US$39, but otherwise will set you back $50 (used to be a lot more at one stage). If you have a fast internet connection, or have a mate with one, download the trial version. It's time limited to something like 5 minutes before the joystick stops working (though you might still be able to control it with the autopilot).

DUXNUTZ
4th Sep 2005, 22:44
"It's been on a "special" for quite some time US$39:

Where did you see this price?

InTransit
4th Sep 2005, 23:05
Where did you see this price?

On the X-Plane website.

X-Plane (http://www.x-plane.com/)

ITCZ
6th Sep 2005, 10:20
I'm looking at X-Plane as a replacement package, but don't know if it has / how good is the Oz navaid databse. Has anyone tried this ?

It has a full Australian navaid database. It builds its navaid, airport, and terrain databases from exactly the same sources as Microsoft etc.The navaid databases in X-plane are more than ok for renewals practice.

I think it is a far superior simulator, but if you are just using it for IFR practice there is not much difference between sims. They will all get your scan going.

The differences start to show when you want to alter something. There are always errors in the databases. Frinstance the 'bowl' terrain effect around YPPH is the same in xplane v6 and the ms fs released in the same year. But you can fix the xplane database with a few clicks of the mouse.

If you are having troubles getting the full visuals out of xplane v7 or 8 with your old pc, do yourself a favour and ditch it and buy a miniMac at least.

don't forget to check the links on www.x-plane.com AND DONT FORGET www.x-plane.org for the x-plane user group

ITCZ
7th Sep 2005, 07:42
Yep its real. US$39 for a sim that kicks MS Flight Sims ar$e and runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.

You would have to be a mug to pay more.

If you don't want Mac, install a Linux distro and find out how fast your x86 can really go.

The Wawa Zone
11th Sep 2005, 06:35
Thanks for the advice, especially PLovett and ITCZ (tink ah know yu). I'm going to bung another 256K of RAM into the laptop and get X-Plane. Then I can prac the YMTM 27 ILS.

Any ideas for a good joystick ? At this stage I would be content with the laptop touchpad unless anyone thinks its a dumb idea.

ITCZ, how long would it take to try out a Linux distro on a Tecra A2 laptop, and would it overheat the thing - it has its own convective Cb now anyway using Win XP Pro ?